There are 197 users in the forums

Aaron Rodgers Highlights Make My Stomach Hurt

Shop 49ers game tickets
i love how guys like ken dorsey and tim rattay out played smith by a mile on the same team....

yet rodgers who is going to be an mvp type player

would have sucked??

its unending excuses....ober and over,...

rodgers is a great qb period

smith sucks.....period.

smith is not an nfl qb.

if rodgers was on that utah team smith would have never started a college game
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I stopped reading after "better environment is over blown.".

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I even remember reading Aaron Rodgers ADMITTING he was in a much better situation than Alex and that he probably wouldn't have the success he's had without sitting for 3 years.

Alex and Aaron are perfect examples of what should NOT be done and what SHOULD be done. It's that simple. Reverse the roles and Alex would be lighting it up and Aaron would bust.

Our mistake wasn't drafting Smith, it was hiring Nolan.

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:
The old regime would never have started a quarterback in his first year, no matter how much they paid him. Bill Walsh and his protégés believed in allowing a quarterback to learn first and play later, which would have had particular application for Smith seeing as he was coming for a lower level conference and a spread offense. He also had a coach in Urban Meyer, who told the world that Smith was non-functional until he learned an offense. The 49ers of Mike Nolan paid heed to none of this and Smith might have been one of the worst quarterbacks in league history his rookie season.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=46153#ixzz0PawVCkSQ
[/code]
in nolans defense

he never held smith accountable and removed any threat to him from the roster.

so to start or not start is pointless since nolan let entire seasons be thrown away to use the games as a class room for smith.
Wake me up when he wins a playoff game.

Newsflash Tony Romo looks pretty good in the regular season too. Doesn't mean I want him.

Yeah he's better than Smith, but hey for all we know maybe we hit it big in the 2010 draft.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:36 AM ]
What I find ironic is that Raye earlier this week quoted that one of the intangibles he like about Hill was that he is a “Maverick” and that you need that quality at QB. One of the reasons Nolan did not draft Rodgers was that he had a Maverick attitude he wasn’t going to do stupid drills just because the coach said so, he wanted to know the purpose of the drill.

With that said, IMO Rodgers would have failed as a Niner for the same reasons Smith has. Inconsistent coaching, multiple OC (Hostetler being the worse), and horrible talent from 05-07 especially at WR. Steve Young was in a similar situation in Tampa Bay (as Smith) and would have been considered a bust if Walsh had not traded for him. Under Nolan Young, Montana, Garcia all would have failed because they would not have been surrounded with the talent or been given the coaching necessary to be the best they could be.
I still like Rodgers just cus he played at Cal and was a niner fan
Rodgers made some nice throws in that video.
Originally posted by 49forLyfe:
Dude im cryin right now the game is nflntwrk. But keep in mind he wasent thrown into the fire like alex was. He had time to sit behind one of the best qb's that ever lived. So development is KEY. But he is stillll the real deal. I just txted my bro and said man im scard of yall this season. Kid played flawless. Everything he did made me say mannn I wish likkkeee hell he was our qb. He throws the deep ball like brady. So pretty and on point. Damit we missed yet another. I also (dont wanna get off the topic) I think we missed on orakpo. Watching the skins play I said, " damn we missed again". He was allll over the field, in the qb's face all night. DAMMMMITTT. THATS JUST WHAT WEEE NEED. Im willing to bet we wuld looove to have that nice day in april back whn we selected crabby patty.

The Aaron Rodgers we would've drafted is obviously not the same Aaron Rodgers that sat behind Brett Favre for two years before playing a single down. If Alex had all that time to develop, who knows how he would've turned out. Under Mike McCarthy and the Green Bay o-line and receivers, Alex probably would've turned out pretty well. Instead, he inherited the worst team in the league from the year before, and the whole team could throw away the season under Hostler.
Originally posted by Dshearn:
i love how guys like ken dorsey and tim rattay out played smith by a mile on the same team....

yet rodgers who is going to be an mvp type player

would have sucked??

its unending excuses....ober and over,...

rodgers is a great qb period

smith sucks.....period.

smith is not an nfl qb.

if rodgers was on that utah team smith would have never started a college game

Right because Smith sucked at Utah too.

Rodgers looked really, really good last night against the Cardinals. With his talented WR corp and improved O-line play, it looks like he's a lock for going to the Pro Bowl this year. The only way Alex Smith is ever getting there is if he flies over there and buys a ticket.

LOL Alex vs Aaron Rodgers

If Alex was drafted by the Packers and had 3 years to digest the O and learn from Brett Favre, I have no doubt he would be an absolute MONSTER by now.

However, I think Rodgers would have fared better that Alex had the niners drafted him, coming into a less than ideal organization in transition and with no talent, constant turnover at the OC position, etc.

But then he would've broken his shoulder, been beat out by JT O'Sullivan and we'd all be calling him a bust and loser and "Aaron Leaf", so it wouldn't matter anyway..
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:

With that said, IMO Rodgers would have failed as a Niner for the same reasons Smith has. Inconsistent coaching, multiple OC (Hostetler being the worse), and horrible talent from 05-07 especially at WR. Steve Young was in a similar situation in Tampa Bay (as Smith) and would have been considered a bust if Walsh had not traded for him. Under Nolan Young, Montana, Garcia all would have failed because they would not have been surrounded with the talent or been given the coaching necessary to be the best they could be.

Steve's stats for his 1st 2 years (with TB):

3-16 record

61.2 QB rating

52.9 comp %

11-21 TD/INT

Wow, if Steve just happened to be born in 1984 instead of 1961, and just happened drafted by the 49ers and Mike Nolan #1 overall instead of Alex Smith, I really wonder how good a QB niner talk would consider him.

Actually I don't wonder at all, they would call him a bust.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I even remember reading Aaron Rodgers ADMITTING he was in a much better situation than Alex and that he probably wouldn't have the success he's had without sitting for 3 years.

Alex and Aaron are perfect examples of what should NOT be done and what SHOULD be done. It's that simple. Reverse the roles and Alex would be lighting it up and Aaron would bust.

Hiring Nolan was a mistake AND drafting Smtih was a mistake. As I've said, Rodgers responds better to adversity and is a quicker learner. Plus, he's in a system well-suited to his strengths -- the very same system he would have played in as a rookie in SF if we drafted him.
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

Agreed. Per Kevin Lynch:

Quote:
The old regime would never have started a quarterback in his first year, no matter how much they paid him. Bill Walsh and his protégés believed in allowing a quarterback to learn first and play later, which would have had particular application for Smith seeing as he was coming for a lower level conference and a spread offense. He also had a coach in Urban Meyer, who told the world that Smith was non-functional until he learned an offense. The 49ers of Mike Nolan paid heed to none of this and Smith might have been one of the worst quarterbacks in league history his rookie season.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?blogid=45&entry_id=46153#ixzz0PawVCkSQ
[/code]

Rodgers would have played in a rookie in the McCarthy-run west coast offense. He, without a doubt, would have played better in his rookie year and we would have never left the WCO.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Aaron Rodgers highlights have no business in Niner Talk and there is already a thread on this game in NFL Talk.

The fact that we could have taken a real quarterback. Damn.
Share 49ersWebzone