LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Youre a expansion team owner and have to pick...

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RaiderHater90:
Originally posted by jrg:
Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Im surprised that im the only one who said andrd johnson. for a few years now hes basically been single handedly making the texans a respectable team.

I like Andre Johnson, but if we are talking WR you have to go Calvin Johnson. How did he put up those #'s with that team?
All fine and fair answers, 49er fans! But seriously, if you are going to start a franchise and needing ONE offensive and defensive player, there is only one right answer!

I am of course referring to WR Michael Crabtree and DE Tyson Jackson! Both are top 3 talents and building blocks for ANY franchise to build around!

Plus, if they are the first players you sign for your franchise - then there should be PLENTY of salary cap room to sign them both!

Sincerely,
Eugene Parker
Ill take Vince Wilfork and Phillip Rivers.
Originally posted by Carney16:
Originally posted by kronik:
Not convinced with Matt Ryan yet. He's had 1 good (no great) season.

My picks are:

Off: Adrian Peterson
Def: Willis

boom
vinny testeverde and ken dorsey
Nnamdi Asomugha- Think he a rare find at CB.

Aaron Rodgers- Everything you want in a field general at QB.
Patrick Willis and Phillip Rivers
Peyton Manning and Ed Reed
There are a few players I would look at:

Offense:
-QB:
Matt Ryan -- The kid has a future. I'm wary of taking a guy with 1 good year under his belt, but he is a winner.
Big Ben -- This is one of the great winners in the NFL, maybe ever. 2 superbowl wins already. The question is, can he win without those defenses?
Brady -- He's not old, and he is the greatest quarterback ever not named Joe Montana. Major injuries scare me though. Do you want to build a team around a guy who has not taken a post season-ending surgery snap?
Philip Rivers -- Not as accomplished as Big Ben, but has definitely showed an ability to win. Not as much upside as Matt Ryan, but his peak is very very high, and we know he's at least be a VERY good QB. He's no Brady either, but is younger and doesn't have that injury on his resume. A real tough leader. I live in SD and hate to give props to the chargers, but this kid is a true football player.

RB -- Simply not important enough for me to pick anyone, regardless of how good they are over Tom Brady. They don't get much better than Sanders, and even him I wouldn't take over Brady. Adrian Peterson will get a look here, but I'm not crazy about him, especially as far as durability goes.

LT -- Some good players here, but anyone to build around? Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Jake Long. Would you really take these guys over the QBs? We all know Big Ben could do it without them. Just don't see anyone worthy.

-WR:
Larry Fitzgerald -- Young, healthy, good attitude, and the most expolosive player in the game today. You have to ask yourself, if this guy is your #1 receiver, playing at the level he's playing at now, does your QB need to be all that great to connect with him? Maybe not.
Calvin Johnson -- His upside is through the roof. On a good team, with a good coaching staff, barring injury, this guy would be the greatest receiver.

Defense:
DL -- I just don't see worthy player. League's best DT? Haynsworth. Definitely have no intention to build around him. DE? Mario Williams? Not crazy about him. Merriman? After that injury? I'd be a bit scared. Injury is potentially keeping me away from Brady. James Harrison or Ware are not great DE size in my opinion. Peppers is far overrated. So there is one guy. Jared Allen? Maybe, but to build a team around a pass rusher he has to be LT or Reggie White. I don't think Allen is there.

-ILB:
Patrick Willis -- He has the upside to be the building block of a defense. I've seen enough out of him in terms of production and consistent improvement to think he can be the greatest MLB ever if he keeps it up. Along with Fitz, AP, and CJ, he's got the upside to be one of the games elite all time talents. Potential is only potential, but it is there.

-OLB:
Ware -- Here's the thing. Does anyone watch him in big games? I don't know why, but he goes from one of the league's dominant players, to a liability. Maybe he's just taking example from Romo, but it is worrisome.
Harrison -- He was the best player in the superbowl and is an absolute game changer. I think him or Willis have the edge.

S -- I love Ed Reed. He's one of my all time favorite players. But just a tad too old to build around. Sorry Ed. Nobody else is worthy of consideration. Troy misses the cutoff.

CB -- Asomuagha is the best CB. But CBs have a very short career of dominating. Plus, he's not exactly Champ at his prime. He's good, and maybe great. But not much more than that.

Final choices:

Offense -- Philip Rivers
Defense -- James Harrison

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Defensive player - Revis (CB from Jets) - I think he is a top 5 CB in the league, and will be the top CB in couple of years. Reminds me of Champ Bailey with better run support. Nnamdi Asomugha will be a strong consideration, but age of Revis worked against Nnamdi.

Offensive player - Ryan Clady (OT from Broncos) - Best young OT in NFL, better than Joe Thomas. Gave up just half a sack in his rookie year while starting every game. What a beast.

Draft the top QB with the first pick in 2010 draft.

Have to disagree with Clady being better than Thomas at this point. Clady did surrender less sacks (I believe JT gave up 4 sacks in each of his first 2 years) but the quality of pass rushers each faced last year by comparing their schedules (Cleveland also has the luck of facing 2 of the top defensive teams in the league twice a year) that Thomas had go against better competition. Both are great young lineman who will be great players to watch over the next 10+ years but at this point I think Thomas is the more complete and effective of the 2.

As for your selections there is absolutely no knock from me there and it is similar to what I selected (Thomas and Polomalu) and would be a formidable foundation to build around.

Very good point about Thomas facing Pitts and Ravens D. Didn't think of that, and you can also look at the quality of QB behind each, and that gives the edge to Thomas. Let's see how Clady does this year with Orton behind him. I like Thomas very much as well, and I can see why you would select him over Clady.

But, there is one very crucial stat you are missing. Cutler dropped back 600+ times (is it just me, or that is ridiculously high?) and Cleveland QBs (Anderson + Brady) attempted about 360+ throws. I mean, Clady played a perfect season at his position...on a team that decided to run the ball only to surprise the defenders. I personally think it's quite a feet that he didn't allow a full sack all season.

On defense, I personally believe CB is the toughest position to draft so I went with the best CB in my opinion. I like your choice as well, but the only concern is, Polomalu can be a little bit injury prone because he goes all out on every hit. But, a solid choice nonetheless.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Defensive player - Revis (CB from Jets) - I think he is a top 5 CB in the league, and will be the top CB in couple of years. Reminds me of Champ Bailey with better run support. Nnamdi Asomugha will be a strong consideration, but age of Revis worked against Nnamdi.

Offensive player - Ryan Clady (OT from Broncos) - Best young OT in NFL, better than Joe Thomas. Gave up just half a sack in his rookie year while starting every game. What a beast.

This is serious thinking. When you are building a team from scratch you need to start with the bedrock. I don't think you even look at the receivers or backs. You start to put into place a line. If you take a great qb and put him behind a poor line you lose your investment.

On D, CB is an option. But if I am playing 3 - 4 I want a great NT and if 4 - 3 I want a great DE to disrupt the Qb. I know heart says Willis but mind says consider the importance of the position.

Good thread

I agree with everything you said. But, I feel that good CB is just as tough to find as DE. I thought about Mario Williams, but the reason I went with CB is because - CB is the toughest position to draft.

If I ask 5 hard-core unbiased NFL fans to name the best pass-rusher in the game, I may get 5 different names. (Peppers, Jared Allen, Mario Williams, DeMarcus Ware, Merriman/Osi - when healthy)

I ask to name best CB in the game, and 4 out of the 5 will likely say Nmadi and one might mention Bailey.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
There are a few players I would look at:

Offense:
-QB:
Matt Ryan -- The kid has a future. I'm wary of taking a guy with 1 good year under his belt, but he is a winner.
Big Ben -- This is one of the great winners in the NFL, maybe ever. 2 superbowl wins already. The question is, can he win without those defenses?
Brady -- He's not old, and he is the greatest quarterback ever not named Joe Montana. Major injuries scare me though. Do you want to build a team around a guy who has not taken a post season-ending surgery snap?
Philip Rivers -- Not as accomplished as Big Ben, but has definitely showed an ability to win. Not as much upside as Matt Ryan, but his peak is very very high, and we know he's at least be a VERY good QB. He's no Brady either, but is younger and doesn't have that injury on his resume. A real tough leader. I live in SD and hate to give props to the chargers, but this kid is a true football player.

RB -- Simply not important enough for me to pick anyone, regardless of how good they are over Tom Brady. They don't get much better than Sanders, and even him I wouldn't take over Brady. Adrian Peterson will get a look here, but I'm not crazy about him, especially as far as durability goes.

LT -- Some good players here, but anyone to build around? Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Jake Long. Would you really take these guys over the QBs? We all know Big Ben could do it without them. Just don't see anyone worthy.

-WR:
Larry Fitzgerald -- Young, healthy, good attitude, and the most expolosive player in the game today. You have to ask yourself, if this guy is your #1 receiver, playing at the level he's playing at now, does your QB need to be all that great to connect with him? Maybe not.
Calvin Johnson -- His upside is through the roof. On a good team, with a good coaching staff, barring injury, this guy would be the greatest receiver.

Defense:
DL -- I just don't see worthy player. League's best DT? Haynsworth. Definitely have no intention to build around him. DE? Mario Williams? Not crazy about him. Merriman? After that injury? I'd be a bit scared. Injury is potentially keeping me away from Brady. James Harrison or Ware are not great DE size in my opinion. Peppers is far overrated. So there is one guy. Jared Allen? Maybe, but to build a team around a pass rusher he has to be LT or Reggie White. I don't think Allen is there.

-ILB:
Patrick Willis -- He has the upside to be the building block of a defense. I've seen enough out of him in terms of production and consistent improvement to think he can be the greatest MLB ever if he keeps it up. Along with Fitz, AP, and CJ, he's got the upside to be one of the games elite all time talents. Potential is only potential, but it is there.

-OLB:
Ware -- Here's the thing. Does anyone watch him in big games? I don't know why, but he goes from one of the league's dominant players, to a liability. Maybe he's just taking example from Romo, but it is worrisome.
Harrison -- He was the best player in the superbowl and is an absolute game changer. I think him or Willis have the edge.

S -- I love Ed Reed. He's one of my all time favorite players. But just a tad too old to build around. Sorry Ed. Nobody else is worthy of consideration. Troy misses the cutoff.

CB -- Asomuagha is the best CB. But CBs have a very short career of dominating. Plus, he's not exactly Champ at his prime. He's good, and maybe great. But not much more than that.

Final choices:

Offense -- Philip Rivers
Defense -- James Harrison

A few remarks if I may :

Disagree that Big Ben could win without a good LT, he had Marvel Smith during his 1st SB win and Max Starks who held up well during this SB win and did a good job of protecting Ben's blind side during the regular season (Starks is not great but was good enough to get the franchise tag). He has yet to prove that he doesn't require a good LT to win.

LT for the record was an OLB by trade not a DL.

I do believe that a dominant DL is a great piece to build around (much like the Texans did with Super Mario) because he sees 60 snaps or so a game. Personally I think Super Mario is a great DL to build your D around as he is versatile and can be moved around on the line, plays well vs the run and as we all know gets after the QB.

At ILB I think Jon Beason could get an honorable mention. Although Willis is better Beason would not be a bad choice at all.

I disagree that Ware disappears in big games, especially seeing as he has not really played in many "big games" seeing as though the Cowboys haven't been a playoff team as of late. However in 2 of the Cowboys final 3 games last year when they needed to win to stay in the playoff hunt he came up with 3 sacks & 2 FF's vs the NYG then added another sack and 2 more FF's vs Baltimore the following week.

As far as Reed being too old to build around he is actually a few months younger than your choice of James Harrison and has played but 1 year more in the league and I'm not sure why Troy would miss the cutoff as he is a huge part of the success of the Steelers D and arguably the best S in the NFL.

As for your choices they are both good pieces to build your team around.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Have to disagree with Clady being better than Thomas at this point. Clady did surrender less sacks (I believe JT gave up 4 sacks in each of his first 2 years) but the quality of pass rushers each faced last year by comparing their schedules (Cleveland also has the luck of facing 2 of the top defensive teams in the league twice a year) that Thomas had go against better competition. Both are great young lineman who will be great players to watch over the next 10+ years but at this point I think Thomas is the more complete and effective of the 2.

As for your selections there is absolutely no knock from me there and it is similar to what I selected (Thomas and Polomalu) and would be a formidable foundation to build around.

Very good point about Thomas facing Pitts and Ravens D. Didn't think of that, and you can also look at the quality of QB behind each, and that gives the edge to Thomas. Let's see how Clady does this year with Orton behind him. I like Thomas very much as well, and I can see why you would select him over Clady.

But, there is one very crucial stat you are missing. Cutler dropped back 600+ times (is it just me, or that is ridiculously high?) and Cleveland QBs (Anderson + Brady) attempted about 360+ throws. I mean, Clady played a perfect season at his position...on a team that decided to run the ball only to surprise the defenders. I personally think it's quite a feet that he didn't allow a full sack all season.

On defense, I personally believe CB is the toughest position to draft so I went with the best CB in my opinion. I like your choice as well, but the only concern is, Polomalu can be a little bit injury prone because he goes all out on every hit. But, a solid choice nonetheless.

You bring up a great point about the number of attempts and yes that is insanely high. Either way you go (Thomas or Clady) you'd have a great building block for the future.
Originally posted by IWASATTHECATCH:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Ed Reed and Tom Brady

Ed Reed has (as recently as this off-season) voiced that he would have no problem walking away from the game/retiring and Brady is 32 and yet to comeback from a year-long injury.

I think about today. All I know is I'm contending for the next 3 Super Bowls.
Share 49ersWebzone