There are 215 users in the forums

Draft Experts Wanted!

Picks below include a trade back to 25th to pick up the 56th:

1 TRADE (25/25) - OLB/DE - Eddie Goldman NT (6'4" 337) or Arik Armstead DE (6'7" 292)
2 (14/46) - WR/ILB - Dorial Green-Beckman WR (6'5" 237 4.49)
2 ACQUIRE (24/56) - LG/RB - Jay Ajayi RB (6'0" 221 4.57)
3 (15/79) - LG/RB - Jamil Douglas G (6'4" 304)
4 (27/126) - CBx2/FS - Kurtis Drummond FS (6'1" 208 4.65)
4 (33/132) - LT/RT - Lynden Trail OLB (6'7" 269 4.87)
5 (15/151) - NT - Taiwan Jones ILB (6'3" 245 4.90)
6 (14/189) - QB - Tray Walker CB (6'2" 197 4.52)
7 (29/246) - PK/P - Deshazor Everett CB (5'11" 188 4.49)
7 (37/254) - TE/H-Back - Justin Manton PK

Needs Left: NT or DE, T, QB, P & TE. Note that the first 9 picks we all had visits with.

UDFA Targets: Players we also all had visits with:

One of the things to consider about Goldman is that we could trade back to 25th to acquire him, gain pick #56 and save $1,162,500 by cutting Ian Williams with only $333,334 in dead money. In short, get a 2-gap starting NT for Mangini (which makes the entire 3-4 defense better), gain an additional 2nd rounder, save $1.16M and still have veteran depth with Dorsey behind him (plus Dial if needed).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2015 at 12:59 PM ]
NC--like the trade back if they can find a partner and Goldman would be a good choice there. Not so enthused about DBG but if his head is right he would be a steal in the second round...CBS has him rated as the 23rd best player overall...though they mention questionable work habits, character issues and limited development of route running. Ouch...but his size and speed is hard to ignore.

Taiwan Jones is an intriguing guy! I've also read some good things about Ajayi.

Nice!

Edit: getting DBG with a free pick (trade back for another 2nd) would make it less terrifying!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 1, 2015 at 12:47 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
NC--like the trade back if they can find a partner and Goldman would be a good choice there. Not so enthused about DBG but if his head is right he would be a steal in the second round...CBS has him rated as the 23rd best player overall...though they mention questionable work habits, character issues and limited development of route running. Ouch...but his size and speed is hard to ignore.

Nice!

Edit: getting DBG with a free pick (trade back for another 2nd) would make it less terrifying!

My man. We are on the same page!

Nice!

I love players with "character issues." Remember Aaron Lynch?

That said, I don't get too caught up in these "kids" regarding character concerns as most are just immature, don't handle the lights well, get lost a bit, don't have the proper resources, some may have some correctable mental health issues that haven't been addressed, are around the wrong crowd, etc. But when these players become "Niners" that's when their lives change for the better (9 out of 10 times). Last year the Panthers, one slot ahead of us, nabbed who I wanted in Kelvin Benjamin. I think Baalke wants that XWR badly (i.e big-bodied - Boldin) to compliment the speed outside in Torrey Smith (Z) and the shiftiness inside with Ellington/Patton/Bush (Y).

And I'm sure, while not a gold star player at the time of the pick, Baalke will do his due diligence to ensure he becomes one if we select him.
Originally posted by NCommand:

That said, I don't get too caught up in these "kids" regarding character concerns as most are just immature, don't handle the lights well, get lost a bit, don't have the proper resources, some may have some correctable mental health issues that haven't been addressed, are around the wrong crowd, etc. But when these players become "Niners" that's when their lives change for the better (9 out of 10 times). Last year the Panthers, one slot ahead of us, nabbed who I wanted in Kelvin Benjamin. I think Baalke wants that XWR badly (i.e big-bodied - Boldin) to compliment the speed outside in Torrey Smith (Z) and the shiftiness inside with Ellington/Patton/Bush (Y).

And I'm sure, while not a gold star player at the time of the pick, Baalke will do his due diligence to ensure he becomes one if we select him.

Two receivers I have liked and been talked out of liking were...Landry and Benjamin! So much for the experts! LOL! When I watched these guys in games they seemed head and shoulders above the competition...but Landry was too slow and Benjamin didn't have the production he should have...bad work habits, etc.

The negative comments on DBG worry me only if the coaches interview him and find him lacking. Pushing a woman "down a few stairs" can be many things...someone tried to get in his way to stop him so he pushed by her and she fell...or did he use two hands to purposely push her? I hate the lack of thorough reporting on these guys that leave questions but seldom tell the whole story. The grass issue bothers me less unless it's a sign of deeper issues...which the lack of reporting doesn't allow us to know.

With all the issues in the NFL and on the 9ers, I have no doubt Baalke will do his due diligence.

Two receivers I have liked and been talked out of liking were...Landry and Benjamin! So much for the experts! LOL! When I watched these guys in games they seemed head and shoulders above the competition...but Landry was too slow and Benjamin didn't have the production he should have...bad work habits, etc.

The negative comments on DBG worry me only if the coaches interview him and find him lacking. Pushing a woman "down a few stairs" can be many things...someone tried to get in his way to stop him so he pushed by her and she fell...or did he use two hands to purposely push her? I hate the lack of thorough reporting on these guys that leave questions but seldom tell the whole story. The grass issue bothers me less unless it's a sign of deeper issues...which the lack of reporting doesn't allow us to know.

With all the issues in the NFL and on the 9ers, I have no doubt Baalke will do his due diligence.

For sure. I wonder if anyone has done a study on "character players" coming into the draft to see how many didn't pan out b/c of character issues? Even us, we had Cox, Bowman, Lynch, etc. who all turned out terrific. Then on the flip side, we had boneheads like Culliver and Aldon who didn't have any pre-draft "character issues." Obviously, it's not an exact science but it would be a cool study...arrests, DV, substance-abuse, MH, etc.
For sure. I wonder if anyone has done a study on "character players" coming into the draft to see how many didn't pan out b/c of character issues? Even us, we had Cox, Bowman, Lynch, etc. who all turned out terrific. Then on the flip side, we had boneheads like Culliver and Aldon who didn't have any pre-draft "character issues." Obviously, it's not an exact science but it would be a cool study...arrests, DV, substance-abuse, MH, etc.

Scary to judge these guys when they are twenty! A lot depends on the culture of the team, as we saw in Miami. The niners have had a great group of veterans to keep the young guys in line...and still had issues! Imagine how hard it is in a place like Cleveland!

Scary to judge these guys when they are twenty! A lot depends on the culture of the team, as we saw in Miami. The niners have had a great group of veterans to keep the young guys in line...and still had issues! Imagine how hard it is in a place like Cleveland!

OMG, that is an excellent point! Shoot, it's so unpredictable, even the Ravens have been blasted by the law esp. this off season.
Here's a different approach. Here are the players that we've been tied to right around our original picks including a trade-back in the first round (to 25th/picking up the 56th).

1 (15/15): WR DeVante Parker, T La'El Collins & OLB Alvin Dupree
1 TRADE BACK (25/25): NT Eddie Goldman and Carl Davis, DE Arik Armstead, WR Breshad Perriman & CB Marcus Peters
2 (14/46): WR Dorial Green-Beckham & Phillip Dorsett and ILB Stephone Anthony & Benedrick McKinney
2 ACQUIRE (24/56): ILB Shaq Thompson, WR Devin Smith & Sammie Coates, ILB Denzel Perryman, QB Garrett Grayson, RB Jay Ajayi & TJ Yeldon and DE Marcus Hardison
3 (15/79): TE Clive Walford, DE Xavier Cooper & G Jamil Douglas
4 (27/126): FS Kurtis Drummond
4 (33/132): RB Jeremy Langford & OLB Lynden Trail
5 (15/151): ILB Taiwan Jones
6 (14/189): WR Stefon Diggs, Josh Harper & Vince Mayle, OLB Ryan Russell, G Jeremiah Poutasi, CB Tray Walker, ILB Junior Sylvestre, CB Quandre Diggs, T Sean Hickey
7 (29/246): OLB Zack Wagenmann, CB Justin Coleman & RB Matt Jones
7 (37/254): CB Tye Smith & Deshazor Everett

What would your draft be?
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 8, 2015 at 1:18 PM ]
Here's a different approach. Here are the players that we've been tied to right around our original picks including a trade-back in the first round (to 25th/picking up the 56th).

1 TRADE BACK (25/25): NT Eddie Goldman and Carl Davis, DE Arik Armstead, WR Breshad Perriman & CB Marcus Peters
2 (14/46): WR Dorial Green-Beckham & Phillip Dorsett and ILB Stephone Anthony & Benedrick McKinney
2 ACQUIRE (24/56): ILB Shaq Thompson, WR Devin Smith & Sammie Coates, ILB Denzel Perryman, QB Garrett Grayson, RB Jay Ajayi & TJ Yeldon and DE Marcus Hardison
6 (14/189): WR Stefon Diggs, Josh Harper & Vince Mayle, OLB Ryan Russell, G Jeremiah Poutasi, CB Tray Walker, ILB Junior Sylvestre, CB Quandre Diggs, T Sean Hickey

OK...now my head hurts! LOL!

OK...now my head hurts! LOL!

Not so easy, eh? But at least it gives you a spectrum.

What's interesting to me is the load of players we have targeted around a trade back in the first...hint-hint. And then another load of interviews with players from the 6th round on. Yet, 4th & 5th round is really thin with 4 total players.

It appears Baalke and company are doing their due diligence for a trade back in the late-first to acquire an additional 2nd rounder and possibly, a trade up to the 2nd or 3rd...then we wouldn't pick again until the 6th round on.

The other good sign is that they appear to be interested in a lot of players from the 151 pick on. We typically do very well with late developmental picks so this matches that approach esp. for a team that doesn't have many immediate starter spots open. And another option is to trade back out of the 4th and 5th to acquire additional 151+ picks where Baalke can stock up and develop these players over the next year+. That would be another great approach if they think the draft is deep for developmental players and esp. if Baalke feels we have the coaches now to develop them (i.e. on offense).
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM ]
For fun, taking a look at the front-load of players we've been tagged too around the 2nd round and again from the 150+, it seems like Baalke is poised to trade back from the 15th and then again at the 132 pick for additional picks/players. If so, here would be my draft (9 of the 11 players we're tied too):

Trades (x2): Traded the 15th for the 25th and 56th & traded the 127th for the 153rd and 184th
1 (25/25): NT Eddie Goldman
2 (14/46): XWR Dorial Green-Beckham (should fall)
2 (24/56): DE Marcus Hardison
3 (15/79): TE Clive Walford
4 (27/132 COMP): FS Kurtis Drummond
5 (15/151): ZWR Dezmin Lewis
5 (25/153): ILB Taiwan Jones
6 (24/184): OLB Ryan Russell
6 (14/189): CB Tray Walker
7 (29/246): RB Matt Jones
7 (37/254 COMP): Justin Manton PK

UDFA Targets: LG, T, QB & P

Notes: Release Ian Williams saving $1,162,500 with only $333,334 in dead money. In short, get a 2-gap starting NT for Mangini (makes the entire 3-4 defense better), gain an additional 2nd rounder, save $1.16M and still have veteran depth with Dorsey behind him (plus Dial if needed).

No Trades:
1 (15/15): WR DeVante Parker
2 (14/46): ILB Stephone Anthony
3 (15/79): DE Xavier Cooper
4 (27/127): FS Kurtis Drummond
4 (33/132 COMP): OLB Lynden Trail
6 (14/189): G Jeremiah Poutasi
7 (29/246): RB Matt Jones
7 (37/254 COMP): CB Tye Smith
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 10, 2015 at 10:57 AM ]
I would really like Drafttek's 9er draft if it happened. Would shore up the middle and still manage to fill most/many holes.

1-DL Shelton
2-ILB McKinney
3-CB Carter
4-WR Lippett
4--OG Douglas
5-OT Morse
6-RB Williams (Texas AM)
7-DE Russell
7-RB Rawls
I would really like Drafttek's 9er draft if it happened. Would shore up the middle and still manage to fill most/many holes.

1-DL Shelton
2-ILB McKinney
3-CB Carter
4-WR Lippett
4--OG Douglas
5-OT Morse
6-RB Williams (Texas AM)
7-DE Russell
7-RB Rawls

My final draft is here in Post #38: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/182120-ncommands-final-mock/page3/

But I love your draft as well...you hit on all of the top 5 Baalke needs and added more depth and ST's. Only thing left off the list before UDFA is OLB, TE, FS and QB.

Baalke's Top Priority Needs: (Position Targets by Round)
1. NT (3) - Looking at all 3 top NT's within the first 32 picks and no further (Round 1 only)
2. WR (14) - Looking at 8 picks within the top 66 picks and 6 more from the 133rd pick on (Round 1-3 or 5-7)
3. ILB (8) - Looking at 5 picks within the top 65 picks and 3 more from the 95th pick on (Round 1-3 or 5-7)
4. DE (7) - Looking at 5 picks within the first 105 picks and 1 more from the 222nd pick (Round 1-4 or 7)
5. OL x2 (6) - Looking at 4 picks within the top 88 picks and 2 more from the 136th pick on (Round 1-3 5 or 7)
6. OLB (5) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 18 picks and 3 more from the 89th pick on (Round 1-3, 5 or 7)
7. CB (9) - Looking at 3 picks within the top 36 picks and 6 more from the 98th pick on (Round 1-4 or 7)
8. RB (5) - Looking at 2 picks within the top 71 picks and 3 more from the 134th pick on (Round 3, 5 or 7)
9. TE (2) - Looking at 2 picks at 77 & 79 and no further (Round 3 only)
10. FS (2) - Looking at 2 picks at 126 & 128 and no further (Round 4 only)
11. QB (2) - Looking at 2 picks at 63 & 100 and no further (Round 2 or 4 only)
let's try the very last time.
big board: CBS

staying put:
1) WR Breshad Perriman, UCF
any questions?
2) ILB Stephone Anthony, Clemson
according to CBS, he could be a slight reach here. McKinney is right around our 2nd-rounder; however, AB questions McKinney's coverage ability, therefore I drafted Anthony instead. Could have been Dawson as well but I preferred Anthony due to his size (Graham!!!).
3) TE Clive Walford, Miami
IF he is available here, I would pick him within a heartbeat. McDonald and Carrier are extended but not the solutions for now and Vernon's future here beyond 2015 is in question.
4a) CB Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
IR-candidate.
4b) DT/DE Bobby Richardson, Indiana
huge wingspan (34.5/8 arms).
5) OLB Zack Wagenmann, Montana
we need some pass-rushing OLB-prospect. Wagenmann was interviewed by the Niners.
6) RB Josh Robinson, Mississippi State
Hyde's backup.
7a) NT/DT/DE David Perry, Stanford
2-gap-NT in the first place.
7b) WR DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech
IR-candidate

trade-down in round 1, get additional 2nd- and 3rd-rounder:
1) DT Carl Davis, Iowa
I know that some people would draft Goldman instead. But Davis' mobility is intriguing. Can play DE and NT in our system
2a) CB Quinten Rollins, Miami (OH)
why not drafting a DB high in back-to-back drafts?
2b) ILB Stephone Anthony, Clemson
need-based bpa would work here
3a) TE Clive Walford, Miami
see above
3b) WR Chris Conley, Georgia
Boldin's successor and/or Torrey's backup or future replacement
4a) RB Javorius Allen, USC
Hyde's backup
4b) DT/DE Bobby Richardson, Indiana
see above
5) OLB Zack Wagenmann, Montana
see above
6) RB Trey Williams, Texas A&M
has to fight with Hyde and Millard for a spot on the roster, imho. Yeah, I know that Williams and Millard are completely different but it is almost the same position.
7a) NT David Parry, Stanford
see above
7b) WR DeAndre Smelter, Georgia Tech
see above
Share 49ersWebzone