There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Who is the better player and has the most value to our team? Who would you prefer to have on our team and where do you value these two on your big board? I assume the answer for all of these questions will be the same person. Or is there someone in the later rounds that you feel is being overlooked with a similar skill set.

When considering your answer, remember that this is not a drafting a wide out in the first round poll. I am just curious of how everyone will compare and contrast their skills.
I went with Austin because he was much more productive for much longer. The last three years Tavon Austin has put up better numbers than Patterson's one year at Tennessee.
I like them both and Patterson has ridiculous upside but so does Austin. Would be happy with trading up for either.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I went with Austin because he was much more productive for much longer. The last three years Tavon Austin has put up better numbers than Patterson's one year at Tennessee.
I like them both and Patterson has ridiculous upside but so does Austin. Would be happy with trading up for either.

I agree. I think Austin would be amazing in our offense, and could even be a better running back than LaMichael James. I picture him as being Kaep's check down receiver that could potentially be a faster Wes Welker. He has Welker's quickness, but is considerably faster. He could be a slot guy, and a returner ace and develop into an amazing compliment to Crabtree. I feel that Patterson isn't as tactful, and beats people with raw athleticism. I also like the jet run with Austin that they ran out of shotgun and would send him in motion and take the snap and basically tap into to Austin in full stride. Imagine Staley pulling in front of that.
Well first off the 49ers don't need a midget slot receiver.

I just wish Austin was 5-6 inches taller and about 45 lbs heavier in build that would be just perfect with those explosive playmaking skills.

Then i'd trade up to just about anywhere in the 1st round to get an elite wideout like that.

Yeah i just wish Tavon Austin was built like this wideout prospect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE

Honestly would be happy with both. They both pose a deep threat which we been needing and can return. If I had to choose I'd go with Austin based on what was already said
Tavon Austin + 5 inches + 45lbs = Cordarrelle Patterson.

Seriously Austin fans, Cordarrelle Patterson is a much bigger version of Tavon Austin.

Patterson is just as fast just as explosive is also a special playmaker a whole lot bigger than Austin and is the more valuable wideout.

6'2 216lb wideout Patterson has a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL than the diminutive 5-9 174lb slot player Austin.

Depends how the draft plays out and who falls but there may also be more of a chance to get Patterson and give up less.

Patterson by far is the better pick.

Originally posted by SkyGod:

Seriously Austin fans, Cordarrelle Patterson is a much bigger version of Tavon Austin.

Patterson is just as fast just as explosive is also a special playmaker a whole lot bigger than Austin and is the more valuable wideout.

6'2 216lb wideout Patterson has a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL than the diminutive 5-9 174lb slot player Austin.

Depends how the draft plays out and who falls but there may also be more of a chance to get Patterson and give up less.

Why wasn't he as productive then? He also one had one good season at a major school. Austin had three.
If Austin's "diminutive" size worries you that much why doesn't Patterson only putting up good numbers for one year? For all we know Patterson could be another Darrius Heyward-Bey who has similar size and speed.
[ Edited by btthepunk on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]
IMO, Patterson has the size, but Austin is much more reliable with his hands and was more productive and can play a little running back. I'm not confident in Patterson's maturity and ability to pick up a pro offense. He's kind of a diva from what I saw on Playmakers, I honestly like both, and Patterson has amazing upside but is much more of a gamble in my opinion. Austin seems like a trooper to me.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

Why wasn't he as productive then? He also one had one good season at a major school. Austin had three.
If Austin's "diminutive" size worries you that much why doesn't Patterson only putting up good numbers in one year? For all we know Patterson could be another Darrius Heyward-Bey who has similar size and speed.

Austin has never missed a game, so his size isn't an issue for me and I feel we can find another big body receiver later. Austin is the ULTIMATE slot receiver, and could be like Reggie Bush, Percy Harvin, and Santana Moss, with jukes that would make Barry Sanders Proud. Patterson is more of an outside receiver, with a less impressive resume, was less consistent, and I feel the poster I quoted has a valid comparison in the Heyward-Bey comparison. Patterson is far more risky

This is absurd beyond belief. Patterson has great measurables and nice potential, but he just as easily be a major bust. He's had one season on his resume....one. He's very raw as a route runner and doesn't have the most reliable hands where Austin has been tremendously productive for 3 seasons, has far superior hands and is a much better route runner. Patterson also is nowhere near explosive as Austin. Patterson is a guy with good upside that you draft and hope he becomes a good player, Austin is a guy with an extensive resume AND tremendous measurables to be a productive player in the NFL.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Well first off the 49ers don't need a midget slot receiver.

I just wish Austin was 5-6 inches taller and about 45 lbs heavier in build that would be just perfect with those explosive playmaking skills.

Then i'd trade up to just about anywhere in the 1st round to get an elite wideout like that.

Yeah i just wish Tavon Austin was built like this wideout prospect...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxkQXlCAfE
Everyone is entitled to his opinion.

You prefer a one year wonder because he is taller and heavier than the midget.

Baalke has said that medical records, personality and game tape are the most important considerations when evaluating a player.

In his one year at Tennessee, Patterson played against three schools that are not in the SEC, schools that I believe are in the FCS.
If we compare Patterson's work as a receiver against those three schools (Georgia St, Troy, and Akron) with his same work against three of the top SEC schools (Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi St)

Non SEC schools --- 14 receptions for 310 yards and 1 score
3 Top SEC schools-- 5 receptions for 80 yards and 1 score.

Georgia-- 2 receptions for 31 yards and 0 scores
Alabama--1 reception for 24 yards and 0 scores
Miss St--- 2 receptions for 25 yards and 1 score.

I think the midget is a better option.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]
I guess the real questions are; A. Who can our coaching staff get more out of Austin or Patterson? and B. Who would be a better weapon for Kaep?
  • buck
  • Veteran
SkyGod you assert that Patterson is just as fast just as explosive.

At the combine, Patterson ran the 40 in 4.42; Austin ran a 4.34.

Compare their explosive plays.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2010, Austin had 17 plays of 30 + yards.
In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In his career, Austin had 135 plays of 30+ yards.

Patterson is just as fast and just as explosive as Austin.

• KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
SkyGod you assert that Patterson is just as fast just as explosive.

At the combine, Patterson ran the 40 in 4.42; Austin ran a 4.34.

Compare their explosive plays.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2010, Austin had 17 plays of 30 + yards.
In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In his career, Austin had 135 plays of 30+ yards.

Patterson is just as fast and just as explosive as Austin.

I don't have a dog in this fight because they'll both be gone and I don't think we'll move up for a WR, but last year
Patterson had only 46 catches because Tenn has a another potential 1st round WR on the team in Hunter.
But still his YPC was 16.91 and his TD per catch was 0.109
Austin's YPC was 11.31 and his TD per catch was 0.105
Austin's career YPC is 11.84. He also had a top 10 QB throwing to him.