There are 676 users in the forums
Tavon Austin in the 1st
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
I think 49ers have to make a bold statement & move up for this kid if possible like we did when we traded up for Jerry Rice
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:12 PM
- DRUSTOPO
- Veteran
- Posts: 586
I agree, I think the 9ers jump up and grab Austin. My only concern is the Rams picking him at 16 to be their new Amendola. We would have to pay a hefty fee to jump up ahead of the Rams, maybe too hefty. I LOVE Austin, he could turn out to be a Sproles/Harvin/Desean...but also has a chance to just be a McCluster/Brandon Banks type player.
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:16 PM
- ezekiel40
- Member
- Posts: 45
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I think 49ers have to make a bold statement & move up for this kid if possible like we did when we traded up for Jerry Rice
He's like a toy for Roman. And he lined up sometimes out of formations similar to the Pistol. LMJ and Austin in the backfield...which one do you play? You can't favor one over the other in this situation as they are both explosive and shifty. He can line up in the slot as well and play receiver.
And he is plug and play on PR and KR.
Part of me thinks Baalke is filling all these holes at FS, CB, and DL just so he can move up and take this guy. Of course that is pure speculation, but Austin is HELLA FAST on tape, not just at the combine. Baalke values the tape more than anything. Dude was productive and just looked like he had a gear that nobody else had.
Decisions...
[ Edited by ezekiel40 on Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM ]
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I agree, I think the 9ers jump up and grab Austin. My only concern is the Rams picking him at 16 to be their new Amendola. We would have to pay a hefty fee to jump up ahead of the Rams, maybe too hefty. I LOVE Austin, he could turn out to be a Sproles/Harvin/Desean...but also has a chance to just be a McCluster/Brandon Banks type player.
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
True but they need alot of help especially LT Jake Long just left
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:20 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
I think 49ers have to make a bold statement & move up for this kid if possible like we did when we traded up for Jerry Rice
He's like a toy for Roman. And he lined up sometimes out of formations similar to the Pistol. LMJ and Austin in the backfield...which one do you play? You can't favor one over the other in this situation as they are both explosive and shifty. He can line up in the slot as well and play receiver.
And he is plug and play on PR and KR.
Part of me thinks Baalke is filling all these holes at FS, CB, and DL just so he can move up and take this guy. Of course that is pure speculation, but Austin is HELLA FAST on tape, not just at the combine. Baalke values the tape more than anything. Dude was productive and just looked like he had a gear that nobody else had.
Decisions...
Totally agree with you bro man this kid is explosive the fun it would be to see our offense with CK7 something we haven't had in a decade
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM
- DRUSTOPO
- Veteran
- Posts: 586
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I agree, I think the 9ers jump up and grab Austin. My only concern is the Rams picking him at 16 to be their new Amendola. We would have to pay a hefty fee to jump up ahead of the Rams, maybe too hefty. I LOVE Austin, he could turn out to be a Sproles/Harvin/Desean...but also has a chance to just be a McCluster/Brandon Banks type player.
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
True but they need alot of help especially LT Jake Long just left
SWEET! Those tricky Rams have 2 1st rounders though, damn them! Well, I guess that's better than them having RGIII. Could you imagine if they never made that trade with the Skins and picked RGIII? The NFC West would have RGIII, Kaep and Wilson...I think Arizona fans would have just taken their ball and gone home
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:28 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I agree, I think the 9ers jump up and grab Austin. My only concern is the Rams picking him at 16 to be their new Amendola. We would have to pay a hefty fee to jump up ahead of the Rams, maybe too hefty. I LOVE Austin, he could turn out to be a Sproles/Harvin/Desean...but also has a chance to just be a McCluster/Brandon Banks type player.
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
True but they need alot of help especially LT Jake Long just left
SWEET! Those tricky Rams have 2 1st rounders though, damn them! Well, I guess that's better than them having RGIII. Could you imagine if they never made that trade with the Skins and picked RGIII? The NFC West would have RGIII, Kaep and Wilson...I think Arizona fans would have just taken their ball and gone home
We got to make a bold move we got 14 pick
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM
- DRUSTOPO
- Veteran
- Posts: 586
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
I agree, I think the 9ers jump up and grab Austin. My only concern is the Rams picking him at 16 to be their new Amendola. We would have to pay a hefty fee to jump up ahead of the Rams, maybe too hefty. I LOVE Austin, he could turn out to be a Sproles/Harvin/Desean...but also has a chance to just be a McCluster/Brandon Banks type player.
I keep asking myself, whats more important...a solid DT like Hunt/Jessie Williams/Datone ( 1st rounder )..... plus a possible starting CB/FS in the late 2nd, or an electric player like Austin? Hell if we jump up that high, is Austin a better pick than Vaccaro at 15? Still, adding Austin returning punts and kickoffs, plus going in motion in the slot = goosebumps. Imagine trying to cover him down field while Kaep runs around buying time.
Tough call, glad that smarter people than any of us have to make that call. I've given up on making mock drafts for the 9ers. I wanted Ryan Mallet 2 years ago and Kevin Zeitler last year, I suck. ; )
True but they need alot of help especially LT Jake Long just left
SWEET! Those tricky Rams have 2 1st rounders though, damn them! Well, I guess that's better than them having RGIII. Could you imagine if they never made that trade with the Skins and picked RGIII? The NFC West would have RGIII, Kaep and Wilson...I think Arizona fans would have just taken their ball and gone home
We got to make a bold move we got 14 pick
Totally agree. The Seahawks made some GREAT moves during FA period, they win March, we need to win April though! This may be one of the most important drafts in decades for this team. With the FA's that left, plus the number of picks we have, plus the huge amount of underclassman that declared, plus having to pay our guys in 2 years.....the FO needs to NAIL IT this year! We need to come away with studs from the 2013 draft like we came with studs in 2011, plus trade some of the surplus picks ( no way 14 rookies make this roster ), to add for next years draft and beyond. If the FO plays their cards right, we have the makings of a great run. Hopefully Baalke learned his lesson last year and has his team working FEVERISHLY to shine! We have the bullets, but we cant be drunken cowboys shooting at the moon, we need to be snipers hitting our marks!
MAKE IT HAPPEN FELLAS!!!!!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Mar 15, 2013 at 1:26 PM ]
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:58 PM
- kent
- Veteran
- Posts: 36
Funniest thing about the Austin highlights are the TD celebrations where he consistently gets sent flying by his teammates.
Mar 15, 2013 at 2:55 PM
- cooljon16
- Veteran
- Posts: 654
I went to WVU and got to see this kid ball out...he made Geno a first round QB. He was his only target all year
Mar 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
Originally posted by ezekiel40:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
They could package a 1 and a 3 and move ahead of the Vikings if he's their guy.
This. 1 and 3 gets us to 22 based on the draft chart, one spot in front of Minnesota. Very tempting, although at 22 Keenan Allen and/or Patterson might be there as well.
Which one do you take of the 3?
Just signed Greg Jennings
Mar 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM
- LottOfDefense
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,754
Member Milestone:
This is post number 1,500 for LottOfDefense.
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Just signed Greg Jennings
I was hoping for this. Now there is a little more hope that Austin may slip. Probably more of a chance that Keenan is available since he was unable to perform at his proday.
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM
- LifelongNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 24,765
I've been back and forth on this, but the more I think about it, I'd have to pass on Tavon Austin. The pluses and what he would bring to our team is well documented. However, I think we have enough playmakers on offense to be a 30+ point per game team, especially if we get one of the better tight ends coming out this year. A better pass catcher to complement Vernon Davis and keep the chains moving, guys like Boldin and Crabtree who I could see catching 160 passes combined this year, the big play ability of Vernon Davis, and the running game that I expect to cntintue to gobble up chunks of yardage will keep our offense churning out the points.
On the defensive side of the ball, we have to do some retooling in order to stay an elite D and avoid falling into the pack of other top tier NFC teams with great offense and shabby defense. Having a defense that continuously pressures the QB, forces bad throws, gets some sacks, and quick three and outs would be a major help to the offense- maybe even more so than the explosiveness of a Tavon Austin.
If there is good talent available at DE, NT, CB, or S, we'll be going in that direction. It is just as much of a help to the offense as adding another offensive playmaker. We need to ensure that the defense has as much help as positive. Right now our O is on the uptrend and D appears to be stagnant or on a slight decline. Keeping our team on that side of the ball elite is imperative as we try to gear up for another Super Bowl run.
On another note, I wouldn't consider a guy like Ace Sanders to be anywhere near Tavon Austin, but he does add a similar type of dynamic and can be had in the later rounds since we most likely would be adding elite talent on defense with the majority of our first few picks.
On the defensive side of the ball, we have to do some retooling in order to stay an elite D and avoid falling into the pack of other top tier NFC teams with great offense and shabby defense. Having a defense that continuously pressures the QB, forces bad throws, gets some sacks, and quick three and outs would be a major help to the offense- maybe even more so than the explosiveness of a Tavon Austin.
If there is good talent available at DE, NT, CB, or S, we'll be going in that direction. It is just as much of a help to the offense as adding another offensive playmaker. We need to ensure that the defense has as much help as positive. Right now our O is on the uptrend and D appears to be stagnant or on a slight decline. Keeping our team on that side of the ball elite is imperative as we try to gear up for another Super Bowl run.
On another note, I wouldn't consider a guy like Ace Sanders to be anywhere near Tavon Austin, but he does add a similar type of dynamic and can be had in the later rounds since we most likely would be adding elite talent on defense with the majority of our first few picks.
Mar 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM
- TheGoldDiggerrrr
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,073
love to have him, reminds me of harvin, but he's not going to be at 31.
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM
- Norwalks_Best
- Member
- Posts: 2,781
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've been back and forth on this, but the more I think about it, I'd have to pass on Tavon Austin. The pluses and what he would bring to our team is well documented. However, I think we have enough playmakers on offense to be a 30+ point per game team, especially if we get one of the better tight ends coming out this year. A better pass catcher to complement Vernon Davis and keep the chains moving, guys like Boldin and Crabtree who I could see catching 160 passes combined this year, the big play ability of Vernon Davis, and the running game that I expect to cntintue to gobble up chunks of yardage will keep our offense churning out the points.
On the defensive side of the ball, we have to do some retooling in order to stay an elite D and avoid falling into the pack of other top tier NFC teams with great offense and shabby defense. Having a defense that continuously pressures the QB, forces bad throws, gets some sacks, and quick three and outs would be a major help to the offense- maybe even more so than the explosiveness of a Tavon Austin.
If there is good talent available at DE, NT, CB, or S, we'll be going in that direction. It is just as much of a help to the offense as adding another offensive playmaker. We need to ensure that the defense has as much help as positive. Right now our O is on the uptrend and D appears to be stagnant or on a slight decline. Keeping our team on that side of the ball elite is imperative as we try to gear up for another Super Bowl run.
On another note, I wouldn't consider a guy like Ace Sanders to be anywhere near Tavon Austin, but he does add a similar type of dynamic and can be had in the later rounds since we most likely would be adding elite talent on defense with the majority of our first few picks.
The more I think about it, the more I think not only should we pick Austin, we should trade up to get him. He's the missing piece to our special teams and receiving play. He steps in and right away would make a major impact. At this point, the only other position we need a starter is safety. If we sign Woodson/Reed then we are set at starters (I consider Dorsey taking over at NT). Austin is tailer-made for our offense and while we have speed at TE, RB, QB, we lack speed at WR. He would stretch the field opening up things for all our players making everyone better. I'm completely sold on the kid.
Couldn't have said it better myself