LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 229 users in the forums

Tavon Austin in the 1st

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
We need size at WR and not smurfs. Look how effective Crabs was in our offense and look how ineffective the smallish Manningham and Jenkins were? We need bigger WRs especially in our own division with Cbs like the Seachickens and Finnegan & Jenkins from the Lambs and Peterson for the Cards? Those Cbs are all big & physical. This Austin dude will get pushed around by these Cbs in the NFC West

This ^ but we are wasting our time trying to get through to these keyboard football draft prospect geniuses who think the 49ers would actually trade up for this 5'8 172lb midget slot guy Austin. Austin is going to get absolutely mauled in the NFL against the big boys! 49ers have learned their lesson the hard way with midget size players with LaFumble James who not only coughs up the football when he gets rocked but also goes down faster than an elevator at initial contact.

Zero chance...zero...the 49ers trade up for another manchild size slot receiver with smallish slot receivers Manningham Jenkins & Williams already on the roster!!!!! And they also just reworked Manningham's contract they want him back.

If the 49ers decide to trade up for any receivers in the 1st round it will be for the bigger wideout and the #1 ranked WR in the draft 6'2 216lb Cordarrelle Patterson who can move into a starting WR position after Boldin's 1 and out and if Crabtree bolts for a bigger offer down the road. That is what makes perfect sense if they decide to trade up. They need another wideout to backup and take over and play with Crabtree & Boldin especially if either of them gets injured. If Keenan Allen runs a 4.4 before the draft he could be another wideout prospect the 49ers might target by trading up.

But like I said waste of time trying make logical points regarding player evaluations and the 49ers team needs with the same fools who relentlessly for weeks said Alex Smith would be released or dealt for a 4th to 7th round draft pick... LMAO...so time to logout and head to the gym.

As an officially certificated fool, (talk about insulting), I whole heartedly advocate the drafting of midgets.

This midget has never missed a college game.

In the last three years, Tavon Austen has had 135 plays over 35 yards:

57 plays of 30+ yards
33 plays of 40+ yards
16 plays of 50+ yards
12 plays of 60+ yards
10 plays of 70+ yards
4 plays of 80+ yards
3 plays of 90+ yards

Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Seattle had corners on the outside that are big n the Rams have small CBs n Crabs owns Patrick Peterson we have 2 big Wrs on the outside in boldin and crabs. Austin will be playing the joker spot from slot/rb/outside to punt returns he is a dynamic player in the pistol offense.

Peterson is far from small..he is one of the better built CB's in football, he just doesn't use his strength over 5 yards down the field since its illegal. If he did what Browner and Sherman do, he'd give Crabs trouble too and if Sherman and Browner played within the RULES, Crabs would work them like he works Peterson..
Originally posted by Sims84:
Seattle had corners on the outside that are big n the Rams have small CBs n Crabs owns Patrick Peterson we have 2 big Wrs on the outside in boldin and crabs. Austin will be playing the joker spot from slot/rb/outside to punt returns he is a dynamic player in the pistol offense.

Peterson is far from small..he is one of the better built CB's in football, he just doesn't use his strength over 5 yards down the field since its illegal. If he did what Browner and Sherman do, he'd give Crabs trouble too and if Sherman and Browner played within the RULES, Crabs would work them like he works Peterson..

I said rams CBs are small dude both 5'10" were just going to be physical with our Wrs Crabs n Boldin now we need that quick n fast slot guy that giive defense nightmares like amendola did to us
  • buck
  • Veteran
There seems to be a common assumption that since Tavon Austin is a midget, he will miss games and he is more likely to fumble.

Austin is often compared to Percy Harvin who just signed with Seattle.

In four years at West Virginia, Tavon Austin never missed a game.
In three years at Florida, Percy Harvin missed 5 games.

Tavon Austin had 7 fumbles in 52 games.
Percy Harvin had 5 fumbles in 36 games.

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player/tavin-austin

http://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/player/percy-harvin
Austin is the first. HoneyBadger in the second. That would be awesome
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

there is not a chance in hell we take a WR in the 1st round. We already have 5 making the team plus Lockette/Hall
I said rams CBs are small dude both 5'10" were just going to be physical with our Wrs Crabs n Boldin now we need that quick n fast slot guy that giive defense nightmares like amendola did to us

Rams have "small" DB's (although 5'10 is average for a CB) but they are very physical..size doesn't have much to do with anything, it's more about physicality ..Rams just put a ton of pressure on the QB and that plus the havoc their DB's cause at the line, is what gave us problems. I think they are more legit than SEA with that combination, I just think SEA does a great job of getting away with extended jamming and bumping
[ Edited by Sims84 on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:46 PM ]
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by D-NOTTE:

there is not a chance in hell we take a WR in the 1st round. We already have 5 making the team plus Lockette/Hall

Nothing is every sure in the NFL bro come on Manningham & Williams both ACL tears ! Lockette/Hall? Really? You can't deny a dynamic special player like Austin in the Pistol would be lethal also great returner
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 16, 2013 at 4:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Sims84:

Rams have "small" DB's (although 5'10 is average for a CB) but they are very physical..size doesn't have much to do with anything, it's more about physicality ..Rams just put a ton of pressure on the QB and that plus the havoc their DB's cause at the line, is what gave us problems. I think they are more legit than SEA with that combination, I just think SEA does a great job of getting away with extended jamming and bumping

Finnegan is physical Jenkins plays off more of a cover corner. Rams have pass rushers which is why we struggled but yet again CK7 barely has had 10 games he will adjust. Austin in the slot will open up the offense & who will cover him? Trufant? he was probably their weak link in that secondary last yr & didn't take advantage of it.
I hope baalke is looking closely at this guy

Originally posted by tmpluff:
My In-Laws said he ran a 4.18 40 at his pro day, can anyone confirm or deny this? If true

False

Austin ran 4.34 seconds in the 40-yard dash at last month's NFL scouting combine, tied for the second-fastest time. He didn't bother trying to improve on that Thursday, focusing only on showing off his catching ability and speed on the field.

On a few of Smith's longer throws Thursday, Austin actually had to slow down to make catches.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He'll be taken top 10. The emphasis on spread offenses and penalization of big hits make him more attractive. He will be the "surprise" top 10 pic. Happens every single year.
Tavon Austin Day Against Oklahoma

Originally posted by okdkid:
He'll be taken top 10. The emphasis on spread offenses and penalization of big hits make him more attractive. He will be the "surprise" top 10 pic. Happens every single year.

Doubt it his size hurts his stock mid round in the 1st for sure
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I've been back and forth on this, but the more I think about it, I'd have to pass on Tavon Austin. The pluses and what he would bring to our team is well documented. However, I think we have enough playmakers on offense to be a 30+ point per game team, especially if we get one of the better tight ends coming out this year. A better pass catcher to complement Vernon Davis and keep the chains moving, guys like Boldin and Crabtree who I could see catching 160 passes combined this year, the big play ability of Vernon Davis, and the running game that I expect to cntintue to gobble up chunks of yardage will keep our offense churning out the points.

On the defensive side of the ball, we have to do some retooling in order to stay an elite D and avoid falling into the pack of other top tier NFC teams with great offense and shabby defense. Having a defense that continuously pressures the QB, forces bad throws, gets some sacks, and quick three and outs would be a major help to the offense- maybe even more so than the explosiveness of a Tavon Austin.

If there is good talent available at DE, NT, CB, or S, we'll be going in that direction. It is just as much of a help to the offense as adding another offensive playmaker. We need to ensure that the defense has as much help as positive. Right now our O is on the uptrend and D appears to be stagnant or on a slight decline. Keeping our team on that side of the ball elite is imperative as we try to gear up for another Super Bowl run.

On another note, I wouldn't consider a guy like Ace Sanders to be anywhere near Tavon Austin, but he does add a similar type of dynamic and can be had in the later rounds since we most likely would be adding elite talent on defense with the majority of our first few picks.

The more I think about it, the more I think not only should we pick Austin, we should trade up to get him. He's the missing piece to our special teams and receiving play. He steps in and right away would make a major impact. At this point, the only other position we need a starter is safety. If we sign Woodson/Reed then we are set at starters (I consider Dorsey taking over at NT). Austin is tailer-made for our offense and while we have speed at TE, RB, QB, we lack speed at WR. He would stretch the field opening up things for all our players making everyone better. I'm completely sold on the kid.

You made some assumptions that I did not make in my post. For one, we do not have Ed Reed (who hasn't even visited with us) or Charles Woodson. I think Glenn Dorsey was brought in to replace RJF and backup at 3-4 DE and NT. I don't think we can pencil him in as the starter at NT. If we do not get our defensive line together, we are going to turn into a defense that can dominate the weak teams, but would be helpless against the teams with better offenses. Similar to the 49ers of 1992/1993.

As it relates to Tavon Austin, I don't have to be sold on him. I think he will be a great player. My only concern is missing out a starting quality safety, nose tackle, and a decent corner in our pursuit of Tavon Austin. I think in order to get him, we'd have to trade up. We'd probably have to trade up in front of Minnesota (their first, first round pick) or even St. Louis if we want to be absolutely assured of getting Austin. Now if and only if Austin is there at 31, meaning there is no risk of us missing out on starter quality players at NT, CB, S, and maybe even 3-4 DE, should we take him.
Share 49ersWebzone