LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Do we still go after a WR with one of our first four picks??

Crabtree
Boldin
Jenkins
Williams........I think its safe to say these four will be on the roster for sure , Moss and Ginn are pretty much gone , and Manningham is not a lock to come back healthy, same with Williams, but I dont see Williams being cut

I know we will be drafting a WR , but WHEN?? ...Do we wait until after the 3rd round , or do we try and grab one of the top 5 WR's in the draft early??

thoughts??
Boldin Kyle Williams and Manningham are on the last year of their contracts. Manningham and Boldin arent long term options and Kyle WIlliams just cant seem to stay healthy. The 49ers should still draft a WR. I want Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd round
Originally posted by valrod33:
Boldin Kyle Williams and Manningham are on the last year of their contracts. Manningham and Boldin arent long term options and Kyle WIlliams just cant seem to stay healthy. The 49ers should still draft a WR. I want Da'Rick Rogers in the 3rd round

Rogers would be a good pickup ...Boldin will basically be a one year rental , so it would be wise to groom a WR for next year
Very likely. What I really like about moves like Boldin and what we are likely to do at the S position (Reed, Delmas, etc..), and possibly bringing in someone like Abraham, is that by bringing in a vet who as a year left on a contract, or that we sign for a couple year or so deal (or that we can likely cut after that time period if the deal is longer), is that it allows us to truly to BPA with our draft.

We can take any player in any round if they are the BPA. We don't need them to step in and be a starter right away, but regardless of if they are a first rounder or a 5th rounder, if they play well enough to earn the time, they will see the field. But we don't have to reach because of need, and we can allow the players to progress naturally and without pressure, regardless of where they are drafted.

So, as long as there is good BPA value on the board, I think we are very likely to take a WR with a fairly high pick. It is still very much a long term need. We just aren't pressed into forcing a pick because it's an immediate need. If a guy like Patterson falls to us early, but may take some development, we have that luxury. Same with a mid round guy who might need to bulk up or adjust to the speed of the pro game. But if we have the opportunity to snag a day one starter at ANY position, and develop a later pick at another position, we have that flexibility too.

It really is the perfect scenario. SOOOO many picks. So few holes to fill. And just enough cap room (and more than enough prestige around the league) to be able to bring in quality vets as short term solutions. The vets fill immediate needs, the rookies learn from pros and get the chance to develop without the absolute need to start unless they prove they deserve playing time.

Meanwhile, we are free to draft purely who we feel are the best talents available, regardless of position.
YES!

We absolutely should still draft a WR early... maybe not at 31 or 34, but I would love to see us get one at 61 or 74 at the latest. Preferably, I'd like us to trade up from 61 to get one. There will probably be a lot of WRs drafted in round 2. We'll want to be picking in the middle to get a good one.

Da'Rick Rogers, DeAndre Hopkins, and Quinton Patton are my favorites for round 2. Hopkins is probably the best possession receiver, Patton the best deep thread, and Rogers the best all-around.
Let me also add that last year indicates that nothing we do in FA will affect how we draft. We picked up Moss and Manningham and still drafted Jenkins. We got Jacobs and still drafted James.
It would most likely be with that fourth pick if we do draft a wide receiver in the first 4 selections. However if a guy like Tavon Austin slips to the Niners then they must at least consider him. But I see Steadman Bailey in the 3rd round becoming a Niner.
Got to. Williams is a big question mark and Jenkins struggles have been well documented. Need a deep threat - bare minimum
I'd like to keep the majority of our picks, and package some late round picks to try and get back into the 4th round , I have a feeling we might go WR in the 3rd round

I'm hoping we add some depth to the D-Line with our first two picks
no

Certainly not in the first 2 rds. However, I would still take a WR with one of our 2 3rd rd picks. I just dont have any faith in AJ Jenkins at this point.
Maybe third round if someone drops?
First off, I really don't think Boldin will be one-and-done with us. I think they'll re-work his deal, give him his money upfront and extend him a few years. Secondly, I don't think we'll go WR early....but if we do, I'd rather it be either Justin Hunter or Da'Rick Rogers. Here's why I like Hunter:

Crabtree - #1 guy
Boldin - Slot, move the chains guy (eventually will be Jenkins)
Hunter - Deep speed (4.41 - 4.44) at 6'4", and a 40" vertical

I like Rogers too, especially in the slot like Boldin where he would abuse nickel corners.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
First off, I really don't think Boldin will be one-and-done with us. I think they'll re-work his deal, give him his money upfront and extend him a few years. Secondly, I don't think we'll go WR early....but if we do, I'd rather it be either Justin Hunter or Da'Rick Rogers. Here's why I like Hunter:

Crabtree - #1 guy
Boldin - Slot, move the chains guy (eventually will be Jenkins)
Hunter - Deep speed (4.41 - 4.44) at 6'4", and a 40" vertical

I like Rogers too, especially in the slot like Boldin where he would abuse nickel corners.

Hunter is the right kind of receiver the Niners need thats for sure. An outside WR with speed that can stretch the field. I wouldnt be crazy mad if they took him but I still would prefer defense with the first 3.
Yes!

I think Da'Rick is going to be a star!
Share 49ersWebzone