LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hopper:
Don't see anyone biting on Allen in the first round now. His stock is falling fast.

Our scouts went to a lot of Cal games this year, get heem
3d wideout without deep speed?
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The dude just ran a 4.71....as a wide receiver! He'll be lucky if someone drafts him in the 2nd now.

If that scenario happens, than he would be a real value pick at #61 if you felt that medically, he could run around 4.5 when his leg muscles are back to full strength. As I understand it, the knee joint itself is fine, its the muscles in his leg that aren't up to full strength yet.
I think he is gonna have a huge drop...maybe available early 4th Round...Injuries suck when you are applying for a job in the NFL
[ Edited by Orlando49erfan on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:02 AM ]
  • KK49
  • Veteran
i have a question,,,,
do we really need to draft WR that high??? I mean , I know we probably gonna lose some guys next year, ( Crabtree will be extremely difficult to resign) but I think we should fix the defense first. I always thought we jumped the gun ,drafting Crabtree , when the next year we could ve had Dez Bryant ( or could we ).
Do u know how the next year WRs looks like ?? There is no way we wont be able to find good WR in the next year draft. Also i think Baldin will be easy to resign if need to , he will be like Moss. He will want a good place to finish his career , not chase big pay checks. May be Lockette and A. J will get more involved..
just thinking...
Originally posted by mebemused:
The dude just ran a 4.71....as a wide receiver! He'll be lucky if someone drafts him in the 2nd now.

If that scenario happens, than he would be a real value pick at #61 if you felt that medically, he could run around 4.5 when his leg muscles are back to full strength. As I understand it, the knee joint itself is fine, its the muscles in his leg that aren't up to full strength yet.

Lack of speed and injury are 2 of the biggest red flags for a WR. There is no way a team in the 1st that will select him. Would definitely pull the trigger at #61, or trade up into the 50s to get him.
I do not want Keenan Allen, he is a very good receiver but when i look at him i see a reincarnation of JJ Stokes! Amazing hands, big body (just a shade shorter than JJ) but he plods around like a possession rec. Anquan is a different breed than him. Anquan started out as a QB at Florida State and always had great hips and body control. He was recruited at the time WHen FSU was getting all the top recruits so that tells you how athletic he is. Keenan is not worth our top pick in my mind. I have high hopes for AJ, I watched him struggle at illinois his first year and then all of a sudden something just clicked. He was a monster. I think he is gonna be fine, just a slow starter who got stuck on a great team and Harbaugh couldnt get him on the field.

He should fire his agent or whoever it was that convinced him to run a 40 just weeks before the draft when he knew he wasn't fully recovered. It's one thing for a d-lineman or a guard to pull a slow time, but for a WR to venture into 4.70 territory regardless of the circumstances, that's pretty much the kiss of death. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a solid pro WR (maybe like a Jacoby Jones), but I don't see him getting drafted in the first round like many of the posters in this thread do.
Lets be realistic, he's probably fallen down in nfl.com "experts" mock drafts as they have to keep updating it otherwise there'd be nothing to talk about and no-one would watch.

Most Gm's and coaches look at tape. Combine and pro days will be more to do with work ethic and preparation. An injury to a player who then ran at the combine to me shows heart and determination that he wanted to do it even though he was in pain and i'd be more likely to select the guy from that . This guy will go off the board at the end of the first round unless his interviews or background checks have turned up some skeletons.

Still can't make up my mind whether i prefer Allen, Hopkins or Terrence Williams.

He should fire his agent or whoever it was that convinced him to run a 40 just weeks before the draft when he knew he wasn't fully recovered. It's one thing for a d-lineman or a guard to pull a slow time, but for a WR to venture into 4.70 territory regardless of the circumstances, that's pretty much the kiss of death. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to be a solid pro WR (maybe like a Jacoby Jones), but I don't see him getting drafted in the first round like many of the posters in this thread do.

FWIW, I think he remains a 1st round TALENT, but I don't see him going in the 1st now. It only takes one team though.

He's no longer a lock for the 1st, but those thinking he will drop out of the second round are just crazy.
Every since he ran his proday at 4.71 and 4.75, i think his "lack of speed" and injury dropped his draft status. I am worried about his speed but there's plenty of very good WR's who run "slow" and have productive careers.
Originally posted by smithc28:
Lets be realistic, he's probably fallen down in nfl.com "experts" mock drafts as they have to keep updating it otherwise there'd be nothing to talk about and no-one would watch.

Most Gm's and coaches look at tape. Combine and pro days will be more to do with work ethic and preparation. An injury to a player who then ran at the combine to me shows heart and determination that he wanted to do it even though he was in pain and i'd be more likely to select the guy from that . This guy will go off the board at the end of the first round unless his interviews or background checks have turned up some skeletons.

Still can't make up my mind whether i prefer Allen, Hopkins or Terrence Williams.

Professional teams are more concerned about potential damaged goods than some notion of "heart and determination." It actually does no good for a WR to go out and play if he can't run full speed....as romantic as it might seem for him to be hobbling around, he becomes a liability more so than an asset to the team.

And yes, GMs and scouts look at tape, but they also factor in medical reports and use 40 times as part of their overall evaluation. If for that team, the whole evaluation story doesn't say FIRST ROUND VALUE, they won't select him in the first round.

That said, I do think Allen is a first round talent, and he should be fully recovered by training camp so it's not really a long-term issue. But most teams that are investing millions of dollars in first round talent want to know (as much as they possibly can) what they're getting. When there's doubt (either because of injury or other issues), they tend to pass until they feel they're getting the guy at a better value. It's a business and most smart teams treat it that way.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM ]
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
He's no longer a lock for the 1st, but those thinking he will drop out of the second round are just crazy.

Forrealdoe
I'd wait to get a WR 'til 3rd rd...still plenty of good ones. DL, S, TE should be higher priorities.
Share 49ersWebzone