There are 145 users in the forums

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

To me it's too deep of a WR class and not a big enough need to take him. I would go FS/DE or DE/FS and then would prefer TE at 61. Earliest I would go WR is in the 3rd but if we go with one earlier I would have no problem with it since Boldin, Manningham and Williams being FA's after this year. Even if we went with one at 61 (or later) there should still be one of these guys available: Quinton Patton, Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rogers, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Stedman Bailey, Marquise Goodwin, etc. I know WR depth was a big problem last year and especially in 2011 but I think Boldin will help out a lot. Crabtree should have his best year... Mannigham and Williams who knows but at least one should be able to contribute, Jenkins will give us more than last year... Lockette could make the roster. Plus I think Kaepernick will make the WR's look better than they are. No knock on Alex but he wasn't that type of player.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
nigha slow as s**t

Joe Staley faster than him. lol

He ran a 4.70 seconds in the 40-yard dash at CMU's junior pro day. Staley was part of an offensive front that has helped CMU boast a 1,000-yard rusher in each of the past three seasons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Staley
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
To me it's too deep of a WR class and not a big enough need to take him. I would go FS/DE or DE/FS and then would prefer TE at 61. Earliest I would go WR is in the 3rd but if we go with one earlier I would have no problem with it since Boldin, Manningham and Williams being FA's after this year. Even if we went with one at 61 (or later) there should still be one of these guys available: Quinton Patton, Terrance Williams, Justin Hunter, Da'Rick Rogers, Markus Wheaton, Aaron Dobson, Stedman Bailey, Marquise Goodwin, etc. I know WR depth was a big problem last year and especially in 2011 but I think Boldin will help out a lot. Crabtree should have his best year... Mannigham and Williams who knows but at least one should be able to contribute, Jenkins will give us more than last year... Lockette could make the roster. Plus I think Kaepernick will make the WR's look better than they are. No knock on Alex but he wasn't that type of player.

That is a reasonable assessment, but where is that deep threat receiver that we badly need ? We thought Moss was the guy, but needless to say he never lived up to it. I don't mean those 35 yards intermediate balls, I am talking about 50+ yarders. This is an area that we are yet to explore properly and reap fruits from.

You also seem very confident that all those WRs will still be there at 61 and after. I don't quite get it, all the mock drafts I have seen have Justin Hunter go in late 1st and early 2nd.
Originally posted by buck:
Bad news for Keenan Allen today. The times in the 40 are less of a concern than the injury.

Cal WR Keenan Allen ran forty times of 4.71 and 4.75 at his personal Pro Day on Tuesday.

Allen has never been known as a true vertical threat -- he draws comparisons to Miles Austin and Reggie Wayne -- but these times are concerning. Allen suffered a torn left PCL last October 27. He admitted to a setback before February's Scouting Combine and recently told the Sacramento Bee that he's only about 85 percent. It's been over five months since Allen's injury. His medical status may be a greater concern than the slow forty times.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/259439/keenan-allen-runs-471-475-at-pro-day

A torn PCL can easily take a full year to heal completely. Allen might not ready to play until November. That is going to hurt his chances in the draft.

Mario Manningham had both a torn ACL and PCL. Who knows when he will be able to play.

Yup. I've been saying this for months... anybody expecting anything from Mario this season will be dissapointed. He may not step on the field at all this season, and even if he does he won't be 100% in terms of speed.

We have to go into this draft with the expectation that Mario will not contribute in 2013.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
That is a reasonable assessment, but where is that deep threat receiver that we badly need ? We thought Moss was the guy, but needless to say he never lived up to it. I don't mean those 35 yards intermediate balls, I am talking about 50+ yarders. This is an area that we are yet to explore properly and reap fruits from.

You also seem very confident that all those WRs will still be there at 61 and after. I don't quite get it, all the mock drafts I have seen have Justin Hunter go in late 1st and early 2nd.

I didn't say all those WR's I said one of them should be. As for a deep threat I am fine with not having one and working underneath. Bersides, it's not like our WRs can't go deep... Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Vernon, Williams, etc can all catch the deep balls... just might at times be jump balls and not burn the defenders every time. If we want that burn everybody guy Ricardo Lockette or Jenkins might be that guy. Jenkins in one game alone during the pre-season I remember him being behind the defender deep down the field 3 times but the ball was overthrown or not thrown to him. Lockette is a 4.34 guy. If we have to have one of those guys and Lockette or Jenkins isn't it than we can get one in the draft. I never said I was opposed to drafting a wr. I just said I'd prefer at 61 or later and you can still get that deep threat at those spots.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Yup. I've been saying this for months... anybody expecting anything from Mario this season will be dissapointed. He may not step on the field at all this season, and even if he does he won't be 100% in terms of speed.

We have to go into this draft with the expectation that Mario will not contribute in 2013.

Same goes with Kyle as well and what if we have more injuries this season ? We would be deep in it. There is no doubt in my mind that we MUST draft a WR !!
So now the question is if he slips to #74 do we take him?

Same goes with Kyle as well and what if we have more injuries this season ? We would be deep in it. There is no doubt in my mind that we MUST draft a WR !!

I heard Kyle is already running so he should be good to go by at the latest the end of preseason.

I personally would like to have Kennan Allen fall to us, plus no one is mocking him to us so you never know
Why on Earth would we draft another slow possession WR? Don't we have enough of these guys?. Allen's looks like a slow TE with no moves, hell even his highlight reel is full of jump balls and 5 yard outs. He would get DOMINATED by the Seattle corners. Please lord let us pass on this guy.

People see Boldin when they watch Allen? I see Rashaun Woods.
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
It's highly unlikely that he falls to us at 31. We would have to trade up to get him, which I doubt we do. Plus, I doubt we even address the WR position before the 3rd round. Keep in mind, we did draft a WR in the first last season. I know people were disappointed in A.J, and frankly so was I. But he was a rookie last season so I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM ]

And neither of them are under contract after 2013. We should extend/IR Ham while he's cheap and expect him to be a factor in 2014, or cut him loose to save cap/roster space for the young guys we will count on in the future. KW is loved throughout the locker room, and is supposed to be ready by camp. If he is, and he looks good, I would extend him for cheap for a few more years. It would be nice to lock-up a tough, quick slot guy with return skills on the cheap, if possible. Right now, I think we can count on Crab, Q, and Jenkins this year. I want to like Lockette, and I hope KW is ready. Even if we keep both of those guys, a roster spot remains for a rookie (assuming Ham starts the season on the PUP or IR) that will be here BEYOND 2013 (Crab and Jenkins are the only WRs signed past this year).
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
It's highly unlikely that he falls to us at 31. We would have to trade up to get him, which I doubt we do. Plus, I doubt we even address the WR position before the 3rd round. Keep in mind, we did draft a WR in the first last season. I know people were disappointed in A.J, and frankly so was I. But he was a rookie last season so I'm not ready to label him a bust just yet.

The dude just ran a 4.71....as a wide receiver! He'll be lucky if someone drafts him in the 2nd now.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The dude just ran a 4.71....as a wide receiver! He'll be lucky if someone drafts him in the 2nd now.

Why do people overrate the 40 so much. This guy is a baller, catches every damn ball that is thrown to him and a good route runner. Plus he is still recovering from the knee injury. He probably runs a 4.6 when fully healthy, which is solid.
Still want
a 4.7 40? no thank you
Share 49ersWebzone