There are 278 users in the forums

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

Scenario: Keenan Allen falls to #31

• okdkid
  • Veteran
The only reason this guy gets discussed on here is because he played for Cal. That doesn't make him a good WR. It just makes him a name you've heard before.
Originally posted by okdkid:
The only reason this guy gets discussed on here is because he played for Cal. That doesn't make him a good WR. It just makes him a name you've heard before.

playing at Cal doesn't make him a good WR. Catching 205 passes over 3 seasons as a starter for 2,570 yards and 17 touchdowns while also getting touches out of the backfield and as a punt returner and having tape that shows his pass catching abilities make him a good WR.

So I guess all the mocks that him as a projected 1st round pick are blinded by the Cal factor as well.

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
The dude just ran a 4.71....as a wide receiver! He'll be lucky if someone drafts him in the 2nd now.

Why do people overrate the 40 so much. This guy is a baller, catches every damn ball that is thrown to him and a good route runner. Plus he is still recovering from the knee injury. He probably runs a 4.6 when fully healthy, which is solid.

That's like asking, "why do pitchers get drafted based on how fast they throw?" Well, that's a critical pre-requisite skill for their job, and the guys that do it faster are simply more highly valued. That doesn't mean slower WRs or slower pitchers can't be successful, it just means they're valued differently. And yes, 4.6 is somewhat ok for a WR, but typically not for a 1st round WR.
Originally posted by vrabbit:

playing at Cal doesn't make him a good WR. Catching 205 passes over 3 seasons as a starter for 2,570 yards and 17 touchdowns while also getting touches out of the backfield and as a punt returner and having tape that shows his pass catching abilities make him a good WR.

THIS
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
he clearly is not very bright or doesn't have good people advising him. he should have just not run the 40 much like crabs didn't and he still might have been drafted high now he's lucky if he goes in round two.
  • buck
  • Veteran
That's like asking, "why do pitchers get drafted based on how fast they throw?" Well, that's a critical pre-requisite skill for their job, and the guys that do it faster are simply more highly valued. That doesn't mean slower WRs or slower pitchers can't be successful, it just means they're valued differently. And yes, 4.6 is somewhat ok for a WR, but typically not for a 1st round WR.

The red flag that just raised to the top of the flag pole is Allen's knee; his medical.

His forty time today does not make that much difference, if there is still a problem with his PCL--and apparently there is. I feel bad for the guy.

edit: just read this

NFL.com's Mike Mayock says he was told by scouts that Cal WR Keenan Allen is a 4.55 player on tape.

Allen ran a 4.71 and 4.75 40-yard dashes at his pro day, per Mayock, and the comments from the scouts comes as no surprise. Allen is a big, physical wide receiver that is a better athlete than he times and is very versatile. He can line up all over the formation and create matchup problems for defenses in ways similar to Miles Austin. Mayock said Allen could go anywhere from pick 25 to 45.
Source: NFL.com
Apr 9 - 2:00 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/24565/scouts-cal-wr-allen-is-a-455-time-on-tape
[ Edited by buck on Apr 9, 2013 at 6:44 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
he clearly is not very bright or doesn't have good people advising him. he should have just not run the 40 much like crabs didn't and he still might have been drafted high now he's lucky if he goes in round two.

I think he'll be fine. Might slip to the 2nd somewhere but he was never a burner.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000158580/article/keenan-allen-clocks-471-in-40-mayock-doesnt-care
Mike Mayock guesses he'll be drafted between picks # 25-45 via the NFL Network.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Derp
[ Edited by teeohh on Apr 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM ]

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
And neither of them are under contract after 2013. We should extend/IR Ham while he's cheap and expect him to be a factor in 2014, or cut him loose to save cap/roster space for the young guys we will count on in the future. KW is loved throughout the locker room, and is supposed to be ready by camp. If he is, and he looks good, I would extend him for cheap for a few more years. It would be nice to lock-up a tough, quick slot guy with return skills on the cheap, if possible. Right now, I think we can count on Crab, Q, and Jenkins this year. I want to like Lockette, and I hope KW is ready. Even if we keep both of those guys, a roster spot remains for a rookie (assuming Ham starts the season on the PUP or IR) that will be here BEYOND 2013 (Crab and Jenkins are the only WRs signed past this year).

My God, that is worrying. We should go for a top receiver in the 1st. I honestly cannot entertain the idea that Jenkins is our 3rd receiver, at least not until I see some proof he can play in the preseason games. Even if Lockette emerges, that is just too thin. Last year, 2 guys went down, what if 2 guys go down again ?! That makes it even more critical to spread your risk on the field. Get a WR plus a TE !!
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:

THIS

+1111111111

By curiosity what 40 time is considered fast to you for a wr?
I remember when I was high on drafting Desaun Jackson in the first round. I got fried on this board because I was rooting for a CAL WR who was too light and too cocky to make it in the NFL.

Pick 29- Niners select Kentwan Balmer

Pick 35- Niners select Chilo Rachal.

Yes, my Cal bias sucked.

I actually have Cal/Stanford Bias this year. I want Zach Ertz over Kennan Allen, but would be happy with either or both.
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:

THIS

+1111111111

By curiosity what 40 time is considered fast to you for a wr?

Not 4.6.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Don't see anyone biting on Allen in the first round now. His stock is falling fast.
Share 49ersWebzone