LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I have said it before, I just can't stop this thing anymore. The latest draft buzz with multiple sources from both Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks have Hunter go much higher up than previously expected.

This to me signals he can draft in the vincinity of Austin and Patterson. In fact, with Patterson's stock falling and the lingering issue of Austin's size, my hunch tells me don't be surprised if Hunter goes before them or at least before Patterson, may be around the 16th-23rd pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000161763/Three-2013-NFL-Draft-secrets-you-should-know
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Guess the cats out of the bag, about Hunter, huh, Rascal.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Guess the cats out of the bag, about Hunter, huh, Rascal.

It sure looks that way mayo49 !!
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's easy to get excited about Patterson and Hunter...but, the guy I want is Da'Rick Rogers. After seeing him on "Game Changers", he's convinced me he'd be the right guy to learn from Boldin/Crabtree. Big (6-2, 217), exceptionally strong and plays with attitude. He's quick enough to bust some big plays...in some ways, reminds me of T.O. when he was young.

Preach it! Da'Rick is more talented than Patterson and Hunter and it isn't even close. Da'Rick has superstar written all over him so long he avoids off field issues. The T.O. comparison is perfect, hopefully he isn't a headache in the locker room like T.O also.

To be honest he reminds me of faster boldin. Now hush before someone catchs on that he's the best wr from Tenn. We got to keep this on the Downlow for a week.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
To be honest he reminds me of faster boldin. Now hush before someone catchs on that he's the best wr from Tenn. We got to keep this on the Downlow for a week.

I doubt you will need to keep it on the downlow. A lot of teams are not interested in dealing with his off-the-field issues. 3 failed drug tests is a bit OTT at this stage of his career, just imagine once he gets a bit of money ?
Originally posted by Rascal:
No, what we saw wasn't anything close to Randy Moss at all last season !! Or if it was Randy Moss, it was may be 10% of Randy Moss in his prime at most.

That's my point. Without that world-class speed or burst coming out of his breaks, Hunter will struggle. If his suddenness is better than I think it is, he is a great prospect, but that's not what I saw on youtube.
First round WR pick? Are ye all crazzeee?

After taking AJ last year and getting all the criticism. NO WAY THEY RISK DUPLICATING THAT AGAIN AND REALLY GET CRITICISED.

Plus we need D. First 3 picks are D this year.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
That's my point. Without that world-class speed or burst coming out of his breaks, Hunter will struggle. If his suddenness is better than I think it is, he is a great prospect, but that's not what I saw on youtube.

Here is the thing, Justin Hunter's strengths is not in his "suddenness" you are talking about, that is Tavon Austin or Crdarrelle Patterson. His forte lies in going up top for the deep balls and end zone plays which Austin can't do.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by dhp318:

Here is the thing, Justin Hunter's strengths is not in his "suddenness" you are talking about, that is Tavon Austin or Crdarrelle Patterson. His forte lies in going up top for the deep balls and end zone plays which Austin can't do.
My biggest flaw with Hunter is physicality during the route... he makes great plays when not contested, but going against dudes like Dick Sherman and Browner, they manhandle NFL receivers, Im not gonna get my hopes up that Hunter turns into a hit first psycho like we need at WR. (Hit first psycho = Boldin, or Ward in his prime when they took it to the CB and didnt allow the defense to dictate physicality)
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5280High:
My biggest flaw with Hunter is physicality during the route... he makes great plays when not contested, but going against dudes like Dick Sherman and Browner, they manhandle NFL receivers, Im not gonna get my hopes up that Hunter turns into a hit first psycho like we need at WR. (Hit first psycho = Boldin, or Ward in his prime when they took it to the CB and didnt allow the defense to dictate physicality)

I am not too concerned about challenge during route as you called it. Of course, Justin Hunter is not an Anquan Boldin type receiver who will out-physical you. Instead, he goes up to get on top of you to make the play with his height and superior athleticism. Note, I am referring more to the deeper routes and end zone plays here which is really what he does best and in fact you can see it on his highlights reel even with double teams.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OldJoe:
First round WR pick? Are ye all crazzeee?

After taking AJ last year and getting all the criticism. NO WAY THEY RISK DUPLICATING THAT AGAIN AND REALLY GET CRITICISED.

Plus we need D. First 3 picks are D this year.

Well, is just another school of thought that's all.

I think there is an argument to be made that we MUST win the Super Bowl this year before our current crop of star players from the 2005-2007 start to decline. If we can't do it, it will be considered a waste of talent and it will be a very different team who will take over to go after our 6th Super Bowl.

Based on this premise, it has major implications in the way you appraoch the draft. I believe emphasis will need to be placed on the offensive side of the ball. I believe with a couple more legit weapons it should get us over that hump. Besides, we are not saying not to draft on defense, but perhaps to use the first 2 picks on a WR and a TE that's all. The idea is to push our O over the edge to ensure we outscore our opponents. Whereas most are saying draft on DL and DL which all you are doing in essence is to add depth. That will help you build a balanced roster overtime, but perhaps not so much if you want to win a championship right here right now.
Whether AJ turns out to be a bust and the embarrassment that comes from the criticisms has nothing to do with it. Let's just say he is a bust, that makes it even more critical to draft a WR to make sure we have ourselves covered. By avoiding as opposed to confronting the issue doesn't help you to field a better team when you are trying to win the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone