LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 289 users in the forums

1st Rd. Prospect: Justin Hunter - WR (Ten)

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Hunter could definitely be good, but when I hear that a WR prospect's biggest weaknesses are maintaining focus and CATCHING THE DAMN BALL, I get a little worried. Seems possible he will just always be a good with good length and athleticism who doesn't consistently make plays.

I would not go nearly as far as to predict he will be a bust, but to me his "red flags" are more likely to remain problematic than Patterson's.

I feel like he's going to end up being a bust. A guy that will be a #3 WR at best, simply because he won't be able to dominate defenders with his athleticism like he did in college. Take away the athletic ability, and he's really not that good of a prospect, bad hands, non-existent run blocking ability, lacks the ability to get yards after the catch. He's a situational player at best in the NFL.

Right.
I feel like he's going to end up being a bust. A guy that will be a #3 WR at best, simply because he won't be able to dominate defenders with his athleticism like he did in college. Take away the athletic ability, and he's really not that good of a prospect, bad hands, non-existent run blocking ability, lacks the ability to get yards after the catch. He's a situational player at best in the NFL.

His hands were great before the injury and his blocking was much better too. I think those were more mental problems than physical. I think those will be fixed as he gains his confidence all back. That ACL had to be on his mind while he was out there.
It's easy to get excited about Patterson and Hunter...but, the guy I want is Da'Rick Rogers. After seeing him on "Game Changers", he's convinced me he'd be the right guy to learn from Boldin/Crabtree. Big (6-2, 217), exceptionally strong and plays with attitude. He's quick enough to bust some big plays...in some ways, reminds me of T.O. when he was young.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Yep, you said it.Todd McShay calls him a "poor man's Randy Moss". That makes him more than OK to me. Say 75% of Randy Moss in his prime is still saying he is a heck of a baller. Forget about the 3rd, the guy is going in the 1st or latest early 2nd.

We've seen a poor man's Randy Moss before, he played on the 49ers this past season. Without Randy's speed, CBs won't be afraid to get physical with Hunter and force him to separate. I don't see it.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Apr 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Hunter could definitely be good, but when I hear that a WR prospect's biggest weaknesses are maintaining focus and CATCHING THE DAMN BALL, I get a little worried. Seems possible he will just always be a good with good length and athleticism who doesn't consistently make plays.

I would not go nearly as far as to predict he will be a bust, but to me his "red flags" are more likely to remain problematic than Patterson's.

Why can't he dominate defenders with his athletic ability ? If the NFL is far more athletic, then isn't it true for any college player at any position coming in ? So, noone will ever stand a chance ?!

If you predict Hunter is going to be a bust, do you mean he will be an even bigger bust than AJ Jenkins as the 30th pick then ?!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by btthepunk:

His hands were great before the injury and his blocking was much better too. I think those were more mental problems than physical. I think those will be fixed as he gains his confidence all back. That ACL had to be on his mind while he was out there.

You know what is the most scary part after all these criticisms ? The kid still cleared 1,000 receiving yards !! And like you said , that was after an ACL, being rusty and with inconsistent hands !!
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Yep, you said it.Todd McShay calls him a "poor man's Randy Moss". That makes him more than OK to me. Say 75% of Randy Moss in his prime is still saying he is a heck of a baller. Forget about the 3rd, the guy is going in the 1st or latest early 2nd.

We've seen a poor man's Randy Moss before, he played on the 49ers this past season. Without Randy's speed, CBs won't be afraid to get physical with Hunter and force him to separate. I don't see it.

No, what we saw wasn't anything close to Randy Moss at all last season !! Or if it was Randy Moss, it was may be 10% of Randy Moss in his prime at most.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
It's easy to get excited about Patterson and Hunter...but, the guy I want is Da'Rick Rogers. After seeing him on "Game Changers", he's convinced me he'd be the right guy to learn from Boldin/Crabtree. Big (6-2, 217), exceptionally strong and plays with attitude. He's quick enough to bust some big plays...in some ways, reminds me of T.O. when he was young.

Preach it! Da'Rick is more talented than Patterson and Hunter and it isn't even close. Da'Rick has superstar written all over him so long he avoids off field issues. The T.O. comparison is perfect, hopefully he isn't a headache in the locker room like T.O also.

You know what is the most scary part after all these criticisms ? The kid still cleared 1,000 receiving yards !! And like you said , that was after an ACL, being rusty and with inconsistent hands !!

Exactly, plus his hands weren't even "bad". People try to make it sound like he's Delanie Walker or something.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Exactly, plus his hands weren't even "bad". People try to make it sound like he's Delanie Walker or something.

Did you read that Bleacher Report article that I posted ? The even more scary part is whenever Tennessee needed to make a big play they would go to Hunter as opposed to Patterson the longer the season went on. Basically, they are implying Patterson doesn't have the inelligence to understand the route trees. That is more of a reflection on Patterson as much as Hunter, but will have major implications in the draft. That is precisely why Patterson's stock has been falling.

So, the question is could Hunter be the better receiver of the 2 ? Quite possibly from the standpoint of a pure receiver.I think Patterson will be more like an Austin Hunter who will wow people much more in their return game, kind of like a young Devin Hester if you will.

• Rascal
  • Veteran

Why Da'Rick Rogers ? He seems to play in the slot. Not saying he can't play the deep ball, but his reel doesn't say that, plus he is not fast neither.

Why Da'Rick Rogers ? He seems to play in the slot. Not saying he can't play the deep ball, but his reel doesn't say that, plus he is not fast neither.

I think you have him confused with someone else.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:

Nope, read all the pros and cons on the guy in his scouting report :

• Lacks speed to be a home run hitter in the NFL
  • Not overly elusive after the catch, upright running style
  • May be too reliant on strength and athleticism

Nope, read all the pros and cons on the guy in his scouting report :

• Lacks speed to be a home run hitter in the NFL
  • Not overly elusive after the catch, upright running style
  • May be too reliant on strength and athleticism

I assumed because you said slot and that hes not fast you were referring to Zack Rogers. I guess your just not to familiar with his game. Da'Rick Rogers is about as far away as you can get from being a slot receiver. He is a prototypical split end with a game very similar in style to guys like Dez Bryant and Duane Bowe. He has a excellent mix of speed and physicality. His production at Tennessee was very high and his measurable s at the combine were maybe the best of any wr prospect. The major issue with him is his character.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
I assumed because you said slot and that hes not fast you were referring to Zack Rogers. I guess your just not to familiar with his game. Da'Rick Rogers is about as far away as you can get from being a slot receiver. He is a prototypical split end with a game very similar in style to guys like Dez Bryant and Duane Bowe. He has a excellent mix of speed and physicality. His production at Tennessee was very high and his measurable s at the combine were maybe the best of any wr prospect. The major issue with him is his character.

I will give him his 1,000 receiving yards, but I am not familar with his plays cos based on his tape you don't see many deep plays. But, his off-field problems is an issue, failing 3 drug tests is not something to be taken lightly.
Share 49ersWebzone