There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

After his pro Day Coby Fleener ran much faster than expected. So a 6'6" TE who is fast with great hands and great route running skills is not availabe at #30 overall. Are you willing to trade up a few slots to land him? How many? And what would you give up?

I would personally. A 6'6" sure handed target is exactly what this offense lacks and needs for 3rd downs and in the redzone. If we pick Fleener we go to the Super Bowl....
I would if it was to fill the #1 TE roll but since we gotz Vernon......no. BPA in round 1
Originally posted by walker807:
I would if it was to fill the #1 TE roll but since we gotz Vernon......no. BPA in round 1

Well the best WR's will be gone by #30 or #25 or #22 or whatever if we trade up. But one of the best "receiving targets" in this draft is Fleener. He just doesn't play WR. He's a TE. But with Alex it's clear he has far better chemistry with TE's anyway and prefers a big target with separation ability. 2 things Fleener can certainly do. IMO he's more valuable to this team than many because of how we play and who our QB is and what his comfort zones are.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM ]
Trade up for a #3 TE. I say no
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:

He's better than DW on day #1! Never seen a more overrated guy on the WZ. The way this team plays and who our QB is 2 guys who are big and fast who can work the middle of the field could be a good thing. We don't throw outside much anyway. And when we do it often doesn't work out super well. 2 TE's and 2 great ones would be good for this team. Not to mention what a 6'6" target with great hands would do for this team on 3rd downs and in the redzone.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

He's better than DW on day #1! Never seen a more overrated guy on the WZ. The way this team plays and who our QB is 2 guys who are big and fast who can work the middle of the field could be a good thing. We don't throw outside much anyway. And when we do it often doesn't work out super well. 2 TE's and 2 great ones would be good for this team. Not to mention what a 6'6" target with great hands would do for this team on 3rd downs and in the redzone.

Agree. Fleener would come in and be a great addition to the team. He would also be a perfect fit along with Vernon Davis in this offense.
  • mike
  • Veteran
No.

I can see considering him at #30, but It's just stupid to trade up to get a guy at a position that we don't necessarily need, a position that always struggles in their rookie year(so very little 1st year impact), and one that always has guys available in the middle rounds that have just as much potential.

Because we aren't dying for a starting tight end, we can afford to spend a 4th on Egnew instead and allow him to develop more slowly. He has similar size compared to fleener, just as athletic, so why not go for a gem like that rather than a guy who's overrated by having Luck throw to him in college?
[ Edited by mike on Mar 30, 2012 at 7:52 PM ]

LOL......dude, are you being serious? I really hope not. Fleener would come in and play the majority of the snaps in this offense and the 2 TE set would be more utilized than even last season. Delanie Walker would become the #3 TE the second Fleener was drafted.

But no, I don't think I'd like to trade up for him. If he's there, I'd LOVE the 49ers to get him, but I'd rather keep all the picks and go BPA as much as possible, this team was fortunate to not have any major injury issues last year, this year they may not be so lucky and depth will be important to have.

Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 30, 2012 at 8:14 PM ]
If all we got on offense this draft was Fleener I would be way happy...he is a match up nightmare and we need at least one more of those.
I don't think it's worth giving up picks unless it's for DeCastro.
Originally posted by kronik:
Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.

Is this a joke? Skinny at 265 and 6'6'; perhaps you should check the stats on Graham and the two freaks the Pats drafted...this is the future of the game. You aren't drafting Fleener to block anyone; your drafting him to murder LB's in the pass.

Bill Belihick would disagree with you.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:

Bill Belihick would disagree with you.

Bill Belicheat is Defensive coach and his Defense blows! GM picks players by the way!
Originally posted by kronik:

Fleener is a Good 2nd TE behind VD of course not a good blocker but a matchup problem in the passing game. Teams should not trade up for a one dimensional player just my opinion.