LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 403 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

if we trade up for a TE I will vomit
I am more for trading up for Decastro than Fleener, If we take at 30 I'll be okay, but I think the first pick will be a Guard. Because we were grooming our current penciled in guard as the future center, who will be replacing Goodwin after next year if he has what it takes so that means we will need a top notch guard. Either way without an adequate guard, Alex or whoever is the QB, will be flat on his back more often and Gore and Hunter will have smaller holes.

As for Fleener, he is big and fast enough to move out wide as is VD. As for 2 and three te, the skins did something similar although they called it h-backs. remember Byham will be back and he can lineup and shift into the backfield as blocker for gore or extra blocker for the QB. It is always about scheming. However, I think the niners have a TE who will replace Walker after this year in Konrad.
Originally posted by WildBill:
I am more for trading up for Decastro than Fleener, If we take at 30 I'll be okay, but I think the first pick will be a Guard. Because we were grooming our current penciled in guard as the future center, who will be replacing Goodwin after next year if he has what it takes so that means we will need a top notch guard. Either way without an adequate guard, Alex or whoever is the QB, will be flat on his back more often and Gore and Hunter will have smaller holes.

As for Fleener, he is big and fast enough to move out wide as is VD. As for 2 and three te, the skins did something similar although they called it h-backs. remember Byham will be back and he can lineup and shift into the backfield as blocker for gore or extra blocker for the QB. It is always about scheming. However, I think the niners have a TE who will replace Walker after this year in Konrad.

If he have a whole year to get the next guard ready, he doesn't really need to be a first round pick. The two best guards in the league, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans, were taken after the third round and developed. That way, our future center gets a year of experience under his belt as a guard, hearing a seasoned veteran C make all of the line calls, while getting valuable experience adjusting to NFL game speed.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
If he have a whole year to get the next guard ready, he doesn't really need to be a first round pick. The two best guards in the league, Carl Nicks and Jahri Evans, were taken after the third round and developed. That way, our future center gets a year of experience under his belt as a guard, hearing a seasoned veteran C make all of the line calls, while getting valuable experience adjusting to NFL game speed.

Great post, and it really is something to take note of. We have to remember that we are now out of the coaching Dark-Ages. Have some confidence in our staff to quickly develop talent... rather than force a high draft pick at a position of need.
Can he play RG?
Originally posted by jreff22:
if we trade up for a TE I will vomit

No worries. You have to believe that the FO is too smart to do that.
TE is a luxury pick for the Niners. Deep ball threat, OL, DB are all greater needs for the team. Now and for the future.
Also IMO the team isn't going to make a pick tailored to just what Alex does best. In the early rounds, particularly the first, they're picking the ideal . . . for the longer term. Not just to suit a particular player, especially one who is probably not in the longer term picture.
Share 49ersWebzone