There are 286 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

If we trade up I hope it is for our 1 and only need atm and that is OG. Peter Konz would be a perfect fit cause he can play OG instantly and then move to OC down the road, allowing Kilgore to take over at RG. If its not Konz, then go for Glenn. Glenn though is obviously the long term answer at RG and drafting him would put an end to the Kilgore talk.

I love Fleener, but I would not trade up for him due to our need at OG. A starting OG outweights another TE.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
Bill Belihick would disagree with you.

bill bilicheck does have wes welker a number 1 WR though

crabtree- not a #1
moss- can be but at 35 1 year removed from nfl it is unlikely
manningham- also a #2 WR

also moss is only 1 year deal

anyway they are better TE coming out next year we can get our #1 WR this year #2 TE next year
I hope not. BPA or trade back. There's some good receiving TEs coming out, so I we miss on Fleener we'll be alright. I do think Fleener is a much better prospect than a lot of 1st TEs that have been drafted in the past. That being said, I think he'll be gone pretty early. I don't think he'll make it anywhere near #30. I think his timed speed solidified a top 20 pick.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
We're already strong at that position. Why reach? Fleener's a good looking prospect and I'd take him if he fell to us, but if you bundle a bunch of picks to reach for Fleener, it leaves you with less ammo go after the positions of actual need... WR and RG. The draft is always a bit of a crap shoot and you should never fall in love with any one player.
Tough call, but I would say no. The only trade up possibility I see for the Niners would be DeCastro. Fleener has mad skills, but he should be there at #30. It would be a miracle if Decastro makes it past the Cowboys, Bengals, Chargers and Bears to even get to the 20's.
Seeing how the FO moves on FA I'd say they don't draft Fleener and go with a OG or DE. Just think if we draft a DE and that draft actualy produced. Our defense would be sacking the QB every 10 plays or at least every five plays hitting the QB.
we need a damn OG
Why trade up for a guy who may play 10-15 plays a game? That's just stupid. If the niners move up in the draft it should be for a different G.
The Fleener love is baffling.

I mean, I kinda get it, but to suddenly believe that TE is our biggest need is kinda ridiculous.
My opinion is that we would be just fine with VD and Walker next season. Delanie is a bit overrated in the passing attack but underrated at blocking. Does Fleener make that block on Suh like Walker does in the Detroit game twice, just saying. I'm pretty firm on the niners standing pat at #30 or even trading back and just look for the BPA. This is a luxury draft in that the niners don't have a specific position they have to take somebody in and expect him to perform right away.

To directly answer your question, Yes but not more han 10 spots. I don't have a trade value chart but NOT a 2nd rounder.

If he is there at 30 we'll take him.

If not - Baalke/JH will surprise us all.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The Fleener love is baffling.

I mean, I kinda get it, but to suddenly believe that TE is our biggest need is kinda ridiculous.

all of this, makes no sense to me
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by walker807:
My opinion is that we would be just fine with VD and Walker next season. Delanie is a bit overrated in the passing attack but underrated at blocking. Does Fleener make that block on Suh like Walker does in the Detroit game twice, just saying. I'm pretty firm on the niners standing pat at #30 or even trading back and just look for the BPA. This is a luxury draft in that the niners don't have a specific position they have to take somebody in and expect him to perform right away.

Agreed, but blocking is an underrated skill in general. People will rather have a guy who can make a pretty play than a guy who can stop their QB from being clobbered.

I don't care if fleener was a decent blocker in college, he's going to have an adjustment period where our pass protection is going to get torn apart because of him. Guys are bigger and faster in the NFL and pretty much every TE goes through this. Davis wasn't a good blocker for several years.

- With Smith at QB I really don't envision a full time 2 TE set. When we do have 2 TE's one is usually a blocker. He'd only be used for specially drawn out plays which means limited playing time.
- New England found gronk in the 2nd and hernandez even later, even with teams realizing the importance of a tall big TE there will be depth in the mid rounds.
- Because we do have VD and delanie, drafting a rawer prospect like Egnew and using him on those specialty plays I mentioned, makes way more sense to me. We can then work on getting ourselves a true #1 WR in the draft or go BPA.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Trade up for a #3 TE. I say no

He's better than DW on day #1! Never seen a more overrated guy on the WZ. The way this team plays and who our QB is 2 guys who are big and fast who can work the middle of the field could be a good thing. We don't throw outside much anyway. And when we do it often doesn't work out super well. 2 TE's and 2 great ones would be good for this team. Not to mention what a 6'6" target with great hands would do for this team on 3rd downs and in the redzone.
Of all the reasons given to take a TE in the first, the "D. Walker replacement" reason is by far the weakest. We don't need to burn our 1st pick to replace Walker - himself a backup. We can do that as late as round 4; Dwayne Allen, Orson Charles, Ladarius Green, and Michael Egnew - in that order - would all come in and easily replace D. Walker.

[Now, I must preface the following by first stating that I do not think JH is going to trash or otherwise forego his 2 TE usage in favor of a spread-type offense or pass 90% of the time like NE.]

Lets say for the sake of argument that JH is happy with his current WR corps and, thus, don't draft a WR at all (I don't see that happening!!), but draft a TE in the 1st. And lets say the 49ers are going to use 2 TE's 40%, or even 50%, of the time in various ways (which is high even for the 49ers). I think its safe to say that Vernon Davis is going to remain the primary TE target, get the lions share of the TE plays his way, and be on the field for pretty much all the offensive plays minus some 5 wide sets. That would mean that our 1st rounder would only be on the field no more than 50% of the offensive plays, with no real chance of ever seeing much more than that so long as one Vernon Davis is on our roster. To me, that's just not a good use of our 1st round pick. NFL owners don't particularly like paying 1st round money for non-starters who won't be on the field most of the time. That's a bottom line issue, not a talent or scheme issue. Plus, with Crabs (regrettably) , Manningham, and Moss on our roster I just don't see us using 2 TE's as much as we did last season. That don't mean JH will go away from it, I don't think he will. I'm only saying that I believe JH & Co. would like to have better options at the WR position to open up the offense a bit more. In college, you can get away with running 2 and 3 TE sets as a matter of course. But doing so, as a matter of course, in the NFL is a liability when you have no threat(s) at WR. No matter what your offensive philosophic leanings are, in the NFL you are going to have be able to open it up with WR's, and it can't always be when you are forced to do so.

Finally, I think there's a real possibility that we could let give some later round picks to move up in the first this year - but not for TE - or out of the 1st this year for one next year. (Will post a comprehensive Post Jacobs Mock soon. I Wanna wait to see if we pick up a vet G like I think we will.) What if at pick 30 the "BPA" is at a position well spoken for like ILB, RB, OLB, T, CB, or even QB? Do we take one of those positions? I think not. Maybe CB, but that would mean our coaching staff lacks confidence in T. Brown, which I doubt. So, picking the "BPA" is not necessarily our best option either. So I don't see us picking a TE in the 1st, much less trading up to do so.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
He's not a bad blocker though, he was in a freaking 2-3 TE offense at stanford for pete's sake. Plus he's 6'6'', great hands, and runs between a 4.4-4.5. That's amazing. Talent like that doesn't come around very often. Would you have traded up to get Jimmy Graham or Gronk? Because that's the type of player he'll be IMO, 60-70 catches easily, 1k+ yards, and 8+ TDs most years for the next 10-12 years. He and Vernon on the same team would just be absolutely unfair. You could call any run or pass play on any given play. I would definitely take him. I would trade up for him personally if we need to(which I think we would) but if they decide not to I'd be fine also because we could use talent in a few other areas as well.

Mmmmmm...Davis and Fleener
Share 49ersWebzone