LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for the guard from stanford. He would start. He's a stud.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
ok sorry. Trade up for a #2 TE. I say no.

But honestly, Fleener may be great, but imo there are only so many weapons we can add to this team. The offense will go as far as Alex does. He has a great running game, great TE, and decent WRs now. Sure, Fleener will be a matchup nightmare, but Vernon Davis already is. Even if fleener dropped to 30 I wouldn't be that ecstatic in drafting him.

In this offense the #2 TE will play more snaps than pretty much any rookie WR that they could draft at that point. If 2 TE is the standard set, then Fleener is basically a starter, no? You admitted that Fleener would be a matchup nightmare but that VD already is one, if they are both on the field together for most of the snaps, isn't that a big plus???
Originally posted by digital9er:
Seeing how the FO moves on FA I'd say they don't draft Fleener and go with a OG or DE. Just think if we draft a DE and that draft actualy produced. Our defense would be sacking the QB every 10 plays or at least every five plays hitting the QB.

LOL.......wut????
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The Fleener love is baffling.

I mean, I kinda get it, but to suddenly believe that TE is our biggest need is kinda ridiculous.

Red-zone scoring and third down conversions are the biggest need and Fleener helps with both of those in a big way, who the f**k cares what position he plays? Alex loves to overthrow passes, so get him a 6'6" target with good leaping ability who can actually haul them in.
With a better offensive line, we might actually be able to run the ball into the endzone.
I would NOT trade up for him but if he falls to us its a obvious selection he will replace Delanie Walker next year since Walker becomes a free agent & will save us some cap space by letting him hit the free agent market
Why does everyone want Fleener?

We have the best TE and a solid backup.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
The Fleener love is baffling.

I mean, I kinda get it, but to suddenly believe that TE is our biggest need is kinda ridiculous.

Red-zone scoring and third down conversions are the biggest need and Fleener helps with both of those in a big way, who the f**k cares what position he plays? Alex loves to overthrow passes, so get him a 6'6" target with good leaping ability who can actually haul them in.

Good point... but do you think it is wise to sink so much money into the TE position? I mean eventually you'd have to pay both Fleener & Davis.

And do you think that there are other pressing needs for the team? Any at all? OL? CB? WR?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

there are other player that would be a matchup nightmare other then Fleener. A 6' 4" 215 LB WR against a shorter DB would be a matchup nightmare. A small fast RB like sproles would be a matchup nightmare on third down maybe Lamichael James. i dont think the 49er should trade up in the 1st round to get any of them. and if I had a choice in wether the 49er could have Rob Gronkowski a 6' 6" TE or Calvin Johnson a 6' 5" WR i think they should take the WR. they already have a good TE and Add WR is going to open the field for davis. I hope Moss can be that guy for this year. But who really knows what he is going to look like or if he will make the final team. If they trade a 4th round and move up 2 spot to take fleener im fine with that or anyone they want to take but i would rather they stay put and add some good depth to the team so if someone get hurt there going to be OK.I do not think it's a good idea trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up for TE or a WR
Originally posted by bigwads:
Originally posted by kronik:
Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.

Is this a joke? Skinny at 265 and 6'6'; perhaps you should check the stats on Graham and the two freaks the Pats drafted...this is the future of the game. You aren't drafting Fleener to block anyone; your drafting him to murder LB's in the pass.

Check the stats for Saints and Pats? Are u joking??? Those 2 teams led the league in pass vs. rush. Not gonna happen here with harbaugh. Even with Luck as his QB at Stanford, they weren't a pass happy team like the Pats and Saints. Do you even follow NFL football? Only a newbie would think a player's stats would follow him wherever he goes EVEN if the offensive system is different, LMFAO.

Oh, and where the hell did u get data that he is 265 lbs? That shows your lack of due diligence.
[ Edited by kronik on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:34 PM ]

Originally posted by dlance:
there are other player that would be a matchup nightmare other then Fleener. A 6' 4" 215 LB WR against a shorter DB would be a matchup nightmare. A small fast RB like sproles would be a matchup nightmare on third down maybe Lamichael James. i dont think the 49er should trade up in the 1st round to get any of them. and if I had a choice in wether the 49er could have Rob Gronkowski a 6' 6" TE or Calvin Johnson a 6' 5" WR i think they should take the WR. they already have a good TE and Add WR is going to open the field for davis. I hope Moss can be that guy for this year. But who really knows what he is going to look like or if he will make the final team. If they trade a 4th round and move up 2 spot to take fleener im fine with that or anyone they want to take but i would rather they stay put and add some good depth to the team so if someone get hurt there going to be OK.I do not think it's a good idea trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder to move up for TE or a WR

Yeah because Calvin Johnson is going to be hanging around at #30.

I wouldn't trade up for Fleener, but if he's there, he's the best possible value. I wouldn't trade up for anyone as the talent is pretty evenly distributed in key positions throughout the draft. Keep the picks and go for the best available players in each round.
I definitely wouldn't be upset if we did trade up for him. I am leaning towards staying put and just taking the BPA.
Originally posted by 3-BALL:
Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.
STOP. think a minute you might change your mind.You would have another player you could bash every day when you post on here !

Hey whata you think about that , pretty cool huh ?

Not bashing Fleener. Just don't think we need him in our system. The love for Fleener is laughable. People automatically assume we will become the Patriots who pass even when they're up by 28 pts.

With that being said, if he was there in the 2nd, I would love to draft him (which is NOT gonna happen).
Check the stats for Saints and Pats? Are u joking??? Those 2 teams led the league in pass vs. rush. Not gonna happen here with harbaugh. Even with Luck as his QB at Stanford, they weren't a pass happy team like the Pats and Saints. Do you even follow NFL football? Only a newbie would think a player's stats would follow him wherever he goes EVEN if the offensive system is different, LMFAO.

Oh, and where the hell did u get data that he is 265 lbs? That shows your lack of due diligence.

You've got to go with your strengths. Alex has shown a preference for his TE's, has a habit of over-throwing passes about a foot over the head of 6 foot tall receivers and then you look at Fleener's size, his leaping ability, strong hands, his athleticism and imagine this team down in the red-zone, with VD and Fleener both releasing......that's going to A. Give Alex more confidence with two huge sure-handed targets out there and B. Give the defense nightmares having two cover two big, insanely athletic tight-ends.
Not bashing Fleener. Just don't think we need him in our system. The love for Fleener is laughable. People automatically assume we will become the Patriots who pass even when they're up by 28 pts.

With that being said, if he was there in the 2nd, I would love to draft him (which is NOT gonna happen).

I know right, a head coach who loves his tight-ends, loves their versatility and heavily utilizes them in his offense, especially when you're 2nd tight end can go half a season without making a catch but plays over 50% of the snaps, why the hell would he want the most talented tight-end to come out of the draft in a few years, especially one who knows his system, all these people and their crazy nonsense..................
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 31, 2012 at 2:39 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone