LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

Trade up for Coby Fleener?

I like TJ McDonald next year lets trade our pick to the Dolphins for their 1st next year.
[ Edited by Norwalks_Best on Mar 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM ]
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
Originally posted by walker807:
I would if it was to fill the #1 TE roll but since we gotz Vernon......no. BPA in round 1

Bill Belihick would disagree with you.

Bill Belicheat is Defensive coach and his Defense blows! GM picks players by the way!

You are aware he is also the GM correct? I mean at least when they drafted Gronk and Hernandez, and pre 2009 he played pioli like a flute anyways. Pioli is crap without BB, Cassel, Vrabel, Jones, the list goes on... Jamaal Charles is about the only star he has brought in who wasnt there already. Luckily he brought in an amazing coach with a proven track record of success, oh wait it's Romeo. The pats offense was still productive with Chad Johnson as an afterthought. The saints leading receiver was a TE. The game is changing, Harbaugh saw it in college when he ran his offense with 3 TE's, it's just now hitting the NFL. Might as well be at the forefront rather then trying to catch up, especially with a TE happy QB.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
Originally posted by northvan49erman:
Originally posted by walker807:
I would if it was to fill the #1 TE roll but since we gotz Vernon......no. BPA in round 1

Bill Belihick would disagree with you.

Bill Belicheat is Defensive coach and his Defense blows! GM picks players by the way!

You are aware he is also the GM correct? I mean at least when they drafted Gronk and Hernandez, and pre 2009 he played pioli like a flute anyways. Pioli is crap without BB, Cassel, Vrabel, Jones, the list goes on... Jamaal Charles is about the only star he has brought in who wasnt there already. Luckily he brought in an amazing coach with a proven track record of success, oh wait it's Romeo. The pats offense was still productive with Chad Johnson as an afterthought. The saints leading receiver was a TE. The game is changing, Harbaugh saw it in college when he ran his offense with 3 TE's, it's just now hitting the NFL. Might as well be at the forefront rather then trying to catch up, especially with a TE happy QB.

Pioli is like Baalke knows Player personnel and Well you have to have a GOOD COACH for players to be good which Pioli has not had! Bilicheat needs coach his Defense to be better especially if that is his FORTAY!! YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE OFFENSE IN THE WORLD BUT DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS! FACT!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
Trade up for a #3 TE. I say no

LOL......dude, are you being serious? I really hope not. Fleener would come in and play the majority of the snaps in this offense and the 2 TE set would be more utilized than even last season. Delanie Walker would become the #3 TE the second Fleener was drafted.

But no, I don't think I'd like to trade up for him. If he's there, I'd LOVE the 49ers to get him, but I'd rather keep all the picks and go BPA as much as possible, this team was fortunate to not have any major injury issues last year, this year they may not be so lucky and depth will be important to have.

ok sorry. Trade up for a #2 TE. I say no.

But honestly, Fleener may be great, but imo there are only so many weapons we can add to this team. The offense will go as far as Alex does. He has a great running game, great TE, and decent WRs now. Sure, Fleener will be a matchup nightmare, but Vernon Davis already is. Even if fleener dropped to 30 I wouldn't be that ecstatic in drafting him.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's ready from day 1. He knows the Harbauagh offense inside and out.

Every tight end struggles in his first year, you'll see it in the stats pretty much every time. We're talking about a second starting TE, when we already have Vernon...There are just a lot of other positions I would feel more comfortable addressing than some luxury #2 TE pick.

If people want to drool over NE's TE situation, why do people ignore the fact that neither of their tight ends were 1st rounders? This is a position that if you scout well, you can easily find quality in 3rd/4th rounds. But no, people are once again overplaying the Stanford card. Harbaugh won't trade up because of hype, he'll get a guy like Egnew that we can mold.

I just think with our WR situation still being questionable(if moss signing doesn't work out ginn is #3..yikes ), and the shakiness at OG, I'd much rather spend a first there. But heck I'd rather get the BPA defensively rather than trade up for a #2 TE...
It's such a misinformed myth that Fleener is a poor blocker. He was the #1 TE in a pro style rushing POWERHOUSE! He has more blocking experience than you're typically gonna find in a rookie. He may not be huge, but his technique is ahead of the curve and his blocking is not nearly bad enough to cancel out his rare receiving abilities.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
After his pro Day Coby Fleener ran much faster than expected. So a 6'6" TE who is fast with great hands and great route running skills is not availabe at #30 overall. Are you willing to trade up a few slots to land him? How many? And what would you give up?

I would personally. A 6'6" sure handed target is exactly what this offense lacks and needs for 3rd downs and in the redzone. If we pick Fleener we go to the Super Bowl....

Why trade up to get him. We can get him at 30 and not give anything away. I really like Fleener but it makes no sense to trade up to get him.
How about we take BPA in the first and trade up into the mid third for Orson Charles (according to OTC). You can run 2 TE sets and while Charles is slower than Fleener, he is better blocker than Fleener right now.

Using OTC's Big Board, you could have:
Fleener TE and Alameda Ta'amu NT

or

Kendell Reyes DE and Orson Charles TE

Myself I like the second option better. But not by much.
Originally posted by mebemused:
How about we take BPA in the first and trade up into the mid third for Orson Charles (according to OTC). You can run 2 TE sets and while Charles is slower than Fleener, he is better blocker than Fleener right now.

Using OTC's Big Board, you could have:
Fleener TE and Alameda Ta'amu NT

or

Kendell Reyes DE and Orson Charles TE

Myself I like the second option better. But not by much.

I like the first one better but I am pretty unimpressed with Charles and Dwayne Allen. My 2nd and 3rd best TEs would be Michael Egnew and Ladarius Green.
Originally posted by kronik:
Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.

Well the same thing was said last year for Aldon Smith. He'll be eaten up by Tackles, a wasted pick, etc.
14 regular season sacks later ( + 2 in the playoffs) it sounds very different.

Fleener seems to be a very intersting prospect, especially regarding the fact that he played in Harbaugh's offence for three years at Stanford.

He would be a intriguing pick, but trade up for him? NO WAY!

Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Never seen such a skinny TE get so over-rated as well in Fleener. If u want to replace DW, get someone in the 3rd - 4th. Good Luck blocking in the NFL Fleener, u gonna get manhandled.

Well the same thing was said last year for Aldon Smith. He'll be eaten up by Tackles, a wasted pick, etc.

Fleener seems to be a very intersting prospect, especially regarding the fact that he played in Harbaugh's offence for three years at Stanford.

He's not a bad blocker though, he was in a freaking 2-3 TE offense at stanford for pete's sake. Plus he's 6'6'', great hands, and runs between a 4.4-4.5. That's amazing. Talent like that doesn't come around very often. Would you have traded up to get Jimmy Graham or Gronk? Because that's the type of player he'll be IMO, 60-70 catches easily, 1k+ yards, and 8+ TDs most years for the next 10-12 years. He and Vernon on the same team would just be absolutely unfair. You could call any run or pass play on any given play. I would definitely take him. I would trade up for him personally if we need to(which I think we would) but if they decide not to I'd be fine also because we could use talent in a few other areas as well.
who said ra wasted pick, etc.

who said that

if anything everyone agreed he was extremelly physically talented
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

He's not a bad blocker though, he was in a freaking 2-3 TE offense at stanford for pete's sake. Plus he's 6'6'', great hands, and runs between a 4.4-4.5. That's amazing. Talent like that doesn't come around very often. Would you have traded up to get Jimmy Graham or Gronk? Because that's the type of player he'll be IMO, 60-70 catches easily, 1k+ yards, and 8+ TDs most years for the next 10-12 years. He and Vernon on the same team would just be absolutely unfair. You could call any run or pass play on any given play. I would definitely take him. I would trade up for him personally if we need to(which I think we would) but if they decide not to I'd be fine also because we could use talent in a few other areas as well.

I agree 100%. Everybody needs to read this post....^
The 49er do run a 2 Te more then some other team. But there offences is not the same one they ran at stanford. The hash mark are farther apart in collage and they ran 2 and 3 TE to unbalance the line and move the defence around. in the NFL there closer together and this doesn't happen as much. NE and the saint have Brady and Bress. Alex Smith is not Brady or Bress. and I dont think NE or the Saint trade up in the first round to draft any of there TE. I dont think its a given that Fleener would be the number 2 TE day one. he would by end of season but so would a WR or Gaurd that is drafted in the first round. there are other TE and WR that can be drafted in later rounds so i would stay at 30 and take the BPA. if that is a DT or DE ok. If that is Fleener ok.
[ Edited by dlance on Mar 31, 2012 at 7:22 AM ]
If Fleener is the best player available, so be it. But if there is an OL that is of equal value in Balke's and Harbough's eyes, I would rather improve our offensive line. Sometimes it's easy to get tunnel vision when you really like one player, we've all done it.
Share 49ersWebzone