LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 258 users in the forums

Robert Griffin III Baylor QB

we aren't drafting a QB this year
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Griffin is putting up numbers in the Air, and he just took down OU. Whomever takes this guy is going to get something special (great athlete, great running, very solid passing... overall a good person)
Curious how people think Griffin compares as a prospect to Cam Newton, now that Newton looks a lot better than his initial draft stock indicated.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Curious how people think Griffin compares as a prospect to Cam Newton, now that Newton looks a lot better than his initial draft stock indicated.

I think he compares more to Michael Vick in that both are lightning quick, with big arms, great deep passers. Griffin though is more apt to make plays with his arm than his legs. He succeeds as a true pocket passer. Griffin is lean though and I worry every time I watch Baylor football when he takes hits. Could be an injury concern if he runs frequently at the next level.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
I think he compares more to Michael Vick in that both are lightning quick, with big arms, great deep passers. Griffin though is more apt to make plays with his arm than his legs. He succeeds as a true pocket passer. Griffin is lean though and I worry every time I watch Baylor football when he takes hits. Could be an injury concern if he runs frequently at the next level.

He is like the first half of 2010 Vick. Vick before signing with the Eagles did nothing well passing and even he admitted was content being a RB playing QB. RGIII right now is what Atlanta hoped Vick would develop into.
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Jcool:
QB most NFL ready: Andrew Luck

Best QB prospect: Robert Griffin III

Why is he the best QB prospect? Because he runs the best ? I still believe that Andew Luck and Matt Barkley are the 2 top QB prospects in the draft.

he has the higher ceiling because of his mobility/speed/quickness, he's every bit as good if not better than both Luck and Barkley in arm strength and accuracy, just hasn't performed in a pro system. His footwork definitely needs to be worked on.

He's also an established leader with a right head on his shoulders and very good work ethic, there's really not a whole lot to not like about this guy

Didnt say I didnt like him. I just dont think he is a BETTER prospect than Andrew Luck. That is ridiculous. Luck is still the class of this draft.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Didnt say I didnt like him. I just dont think he is a BETTER prospect than Andrew Luck. That is ridiculous. Luck is still the class of this draft.

Guess it depends on what you think best prospect means. I see it as the player with the highest ceiling. The one that is gifted with all the physical tools to succeed. You seem to see it as the QB most likely to succeed, the one with the lowest odds at being a bust. Luck clearly doesn't possess off the chart measurable's, he wont throw 50 yard rockets or outrun defensive backs for TDs. But so far seems like he should be able to come in and be able to learn an NFL offense pretty quickly and wont make a ton of mistakes. Most likely he will be a Matt Ryan type of player.
[ Edited by Jcool on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:18 PM ]

Guess it depends on what you think best prospect means. I see it as the player with the highest ceiling. The one that is gifted with all the physical tools to succeed. You seem to see it as the QB most likely to succeed, the one with the lowest odds at being a bust. Luck clearly doesn't possess off the chart measurable's, he wont throw 50 yard rockets or outrun defensive backs for TDs. But so far seems like he should be able to come in and be able to learn an NFL offense pretty quickly and wont make a ton of mistakes. Most likely he will be a Matt Ryan type of player.

I see it as the one most likely to be the better NFL player. I think Luck will be that guy. Luck has amazing accuracy and I think that is the one quality that sets the great ones apart from the others. Like Tom Brady for example. Doesnt WOW you with arm strength or footspeed ( Luck is MUCH more of an athlete) but has the accruacy to be great. That is how I see Andrew Luck.

Griffen will be the more exciting player to watch though. I think he is worth a top 10 and probably top 5-6 pick in this draft. In no way am I doubting the kid,
[ Edited by Ninerjohn on Nov 21, 2011 at 8:27 PM ]
Originally posted by vrabbit:
QB most NFL ready: Andrew Luck

Best QB prospect: Robert Griffin III

Why is he the best QB prospect? Because he runs the best ? I still believe that Andew Luck and Matt Barkley are the 2 top QB prospects in the draft.

he has the higher ceiling because of his mobility/speed/quickness, he's every bit as good if not better than both Luck and Barkley in arm strength and accuracy, just hasn't performed in a pro system. His footwork definitely needs to be worked on.

He's also an established leader with a right head on his shoulders and very good work ethic, there's really not a whole lot to not like about this guy

never said you didn't like him
I hope RG is good, i still think luck is going to be a bust.

Tampa could use Griffin. Josh Freeman is quickly proving he's Donovan McNabb II. They need to put a stop to it before they waste anymore seasons with him at the helm.

Let Griffin play behind Josh Johnson next year. He'll be ready by midseason.
Originally posted by zillabeast:
Tampa could use Griffin. Josh Freeman is quickly proving he's Donovan McNabb II. They need to put a stop to it before they waste anymore seasons with him at the helm.

not sure if they want a QB controversy this fast
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by zillabeast:

not sure if they want a QB controversy this fast

josh johnson is a free agent after this year and wants to be a starter

he can't outrun them but he can most certainly run over them! id say he has aaron rodgers type speed. hes pretty athletic

Originally posted by schmons:

he can't outrun them but he can most certainly run over them! id say he has aaron rodgers type speed. hes pretty athletic

I agree that Luck is far more athletic than many give him credit for. He is certainly more athletic than Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Eli Manning. All of those guys have won Super Bowls and win because they are smart and accurate. I think Luck has the chance to be the same type of player. Does he have a John Elway arm or Mike Vick speed? Obviously not. I dont think you have to have that to be really great though.

I think Luck is ellusive enough to avoid the pass rush, can run enough to get key 3rd down yards when necessary and can make every touch pass there is. The only question at all about him is whether he will have the elite arm to zip the ball into tight spaces. This is what sets Aaron Rodgers apart from all the others right now. I dont know if he will ever be THAT good but would be very surprised if he didnt eventually become an All Pro type QB.
Share 49ersWebzone