There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Arizona game cost the niners an A+ draft

Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

I dont agree. Now that the draft hype is over, I wouldn't doubt if Smith becomes more of a factor than Peterson in a few years. Good passrusher trumphs good CB. Elite passrusher trumphs any position outside of QB, IMO.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson

I dont agree. Now that the draft hype is over, I wouldn't doubt if Smith becomes more of a factor than Peterson in a few years. Good passrusher trumphs good CB. Elite passrusher trumphs any position outside of QB, IMO.

I agree with you 100%, but you're arguing with a guy who wanted to lose a game on purpose to get an unproven college player.

Unless you're being paid to do so, ala the Italian soccer league, professional players DO NOT LOSE ON PURPOSE. There's the whole, 20 years+ of pride that they have that makes them competitors at the top level.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on May 6, 2011 at 18:25:37 ]
i never ever root for losing.

Not in 2005 when it was the BUSH BOWL, and certainly not 2010, and hell no to 2011.

I want wins and playoffs.
oh and no guaranteed Peterson turns into an elite CB, I think he is one in the making but not a sure thing.

Kaep could of gone where he did, we had to trade up with Oakland and others breathing down our neck.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

1. Patrick Peterson

Not homer-ism at all. I hope so too but you know if you had suggested that we take Aldon over Peterson before the draft you would have gotten ridiculed on here.
Originally posted by KID9R:

1. Patrick Peterson

Not homer-ism at all. I hope so too but you know if you had suggested that we take Aldon over Peterson before the draft you would have gotten ridiculed on here.

Especially if you could have got Justin Houston with your 3rd round pick, who went to the Chiefs 1 pick after the Cards.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
This is probably tongue in cheek, at the time the niners were OUT of playoff contention, Andrew Luck potentially could have been entering the draft, and the niners needed upgraded at qb, CB and OLB. You do the math, tanking one game after the season is OVER is not the same thing as losing a whole season.

Had we tanked that last game we still wouldn't have had a chance at Luck had he declared. Carolina still would have held that 1st pick.

If the team tanks what does that say about the players and the coaches ? How does that help any of the coaches going forward whether it's keeping their current job or looking for a new one ? It's possible it could have resulted in suspensions, fines and maybe permanent expulsion from the league for some of the coaches and players.

If somehow the league finds out we purposely tanked do you think there would be no imposed penalty on this organization itself? I'd bet we would have become an example and the imposed penalty would have been a hefty one at that, quite possibly even losing that 1st round draft pick.

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
if we got peterson you can guarentee the round 2 pick would be an OLB pass rusher and the 3rd pick would maybe be stanzi

Actually no you cannot. SMH.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

1. Patrick Peterson

How does an interim head coach go about asking his players to tank a game . . . when the purpose of tanking would be to improve draft position to get better players to replace some of the players you're asking to tank?

Obviously losing that game would have put us in better position last weekend, but the concept of intentionally tanking a game is completely impractical.

First of all, the owner should be the one asking the team to tank. He should also tell the interim coach that it won't affect his status with the team next year.

All they had to do is sit their starters and use the excuse that they needed to "see what they have" in other players on the roster since the game was meaningless from a playoff standpoint. That's pretty much what Arizona did to us. Who the hell was their QB? A 3rd stringer? If they had a fourth QB on the active roster, they probably would have let him play.

And I think we'd have even more trouble attracting top end coaches and free agents in the future if word got out (and it would have) that the team owner directed the interim coach to tank a ball game.
we aren't the Cleveland Cavaliers. I want winners, and a win over a division rival i will always take over a position in a draft. As long as we have ownage over them i don't care if they draft 11 patrick petersons!!!! In 3 years we are gonna be talking about how Aldon Smith is one of the elite pass rushers in the league and the Cardinals are gonna be talking about Peterson being one of the biggest busts of all time!!!!! COUNT ON IT!!!! I hate the Cardinals, if it costs us Andrew Luck next year i would still take the wins!!!!
We'll see in like 5 years whether it did or not.

What happens if Patrick Peterson has to get converted to a safety and is mediocre at that?(Antrell Rolle type) and what happens if Aldon Smith turns into a Demarcus Ware type 3-4 OLB and Culliver turns out to be a heck of a corner?
It isn't just this draft that we missed the guy we wanted by one lousy pick. Remember
D'Brickshaw taken by the Jets one pick before us and the Hawk taken by GB one pick before us? Both were intended to be 49ers, but our GM , HC, owners, scouts, were so hapless and lousy that we got aced out twice. And now Aldon, not Peterson. Difference is I wanted D'Brick badly, and Hawk the same. Aldon wasn't really on my radar at that time.
  • bors
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
oh and no guaranteed Peterson turns into an elite CB, I think he is one in the making but not a sure thing.

Kaep could of gone where he did, we had to trade up with Oakland and others breathing down our neck.

i hope peterson becomes the next m rumph
All they had to do was sit the dinged up players and play some young guys that they wanted to get a good look at to see where they would fit in next year. That's what AZ did. It was just one game at the end of a sh!tty season. Go tell N.O. that when they lost Peyton Manning in the draft because they played over their heads in the last game on the year. Mike Ditka pushed them really hard to win. Sing pushed our guys really hard to beat AZ. Watch out for those ex-Bear players who have more piss n vinegar than brains.
You can't tell professional athletes to lose on purpose.

Just doesn't work guys.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NickSh49:
You can't tell professional athletes to lose on purpose.

Just doesn't work guys.

No, but you can start the backups

[ Edited by KID9R on May 8, 2011 at 15:46:44 ]