LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

The Arizona game cost the niners an A+ draft

As a season ticket holder i would be outraged if i knew the 49ers tanked games in order to get a better pick in a future draft. That ish just wouldn't fly with me. its one thing to rest starters heading into the playoffs but to purposely try to lose would definitely make me cancel future tickets
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
All they had to do was sit the dinged up players and play some young guys that they wanted to get a good look at to see where they would fit in next year. That's what AZ did. It was just one game at the end of a sh!tty season. Go tell N.O. that when they lost Peyton Manning in the draft because they played over their heads in the last game on the year. Mike Ditka pushed them really hard to win. Sing pushed our guys really hard to beat AZ. Watch out for those ex-Bear players who have more piss n vinegar than brains.

Sing was gone. It was Tomsula.
Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
You can't tell professional athletes to lose on purpose.

Just doesn't work guys.

No, but you can start the backups

We still would've won that game. Arizona was already golfing in their minds.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:

Just doesn't work guys.

We still would've won that game. Arizona was already golfing in their minds.

okay sure, I guess are players don't like golf.
Yes, we had the 7th pick in a 6 player draft!

The 6th pick commanded a king's ransom in draft picks, but nobody wanted to trade up into the 7th pick (they admittedly were trying to trade back). Plus they missed out on John Moffitt G/C they wanted to pick in rd 3 (the Seahawks got him right before us). Bad luck, it probably would have been better had we gotten the 10th pick, since we prob could have picks Alden at #10, and all of our other picks would have been sooner. But that's water under the bridge, we did the best we could with what happened.

[ Edited by maxsmart on May 8, 2011 at 19:54:54 ]

Just doesn't work guys.

Somehow, I don't think Tomsula would have been down with that. He's kind of a fiery guy...

Just doesn't work guys.

Somehow, I don't think Tomsula would have been down with that. He's kind of a fiery guy...

yup and you can tell the players rallied around him
  • KID9R
  • Veteran

Just doesn't work guys.

Somehow, If Jed told him to start Nate Davis I can't see him saying no and being a fired guy.
this thread makes me laugh. OP do you think we still should have tanked?
Originally posted by miked1978:

I think Baalke and Company hit the draft out of the ball park. However Patrick Peterson was exceptional as a cb and return man for AZ, the Niners are fortunate that the pick of Aldon Smith that everyone groaned over worked out.

I still think tanking a season after play off contention is sometimes wise. Look at the Colts, they will get Luck or RG III because they started Curtis Painter. The Redskins had pride, and now have given up 3 1st round picks and a second to move up to draft a qb.

• okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

I think Baalke and Company hit the draft out of the ball park. However Patrick Peterson was exceptional as a cb and return man for AZ, the Niners are fortunate that the pick of Aldon Smith that everyone groaned over worked out.

I still think tanking a season after play off contention is sometimes wise. Look at the Colts, they will get Luck or RG III because they started Curtis Painter. The Redskins had pride, and now have given up 3 1st round picks and a second to move up to draft a qb.

Whaaaaa??!!
Originally posted by okdkid:

Whaaaaa??!!

You must be naive if you do not think that the Colts did not tank the season.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

Whaaaaa??!!

they didn't.....Why do you think they made a change at QB and put Dan Orvlovsky in because Painter was so terrible? They actually won games after they put Orvlovsky in and almost lost the #1 over pick because of it.
Originally posted by sfout:

Whaaaaa??!!

they didn't.....Why do you think they made a change at QB and put Dan Orvlovsky in because Painter was so terrible? They actually won games after they put Orvlovsky in and almost lost the #1 over pick because of it.

Like I said, the Colts tanked the season. It was the right thing to do for the long term winning of the franchise. They are getting the opportunity to draft a franchise qb. The Colts get their qb. This is just an example of how it can work out sometimes. The redskins in my opinion payed too much for the opportunity to draft a franchise qb. .
#99 for the win
Share 49ersWebzone