LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 357 users in the forums

The Arizona game cost the niners an A+ draft

Originally posted by AthensGaNiner:
Originally posted by frenchmov:
this is f**king loser talk. remember the "bush bowl" against the texans? i heard a lot of people b***hing about that too. "OMFG WHY DID WE BEAT THEM! WE COULDVE HAD REGGIE BUSH, A SURE THING!"

well guess what? he wasn't a sure thing. neither is patrick peterson or aldon smith or whoever else. i can't comprehend a situation where i would want the niners to lose. absolutely pathetic

I forgot all about the Bush Bowl. Valid point.

Also, you think a coach like Harbaugh would want to come to a team that just threw its last game? If we tried to run some sort of "Oh, we were just trying to protect our guys/prevent injury" line on him, I'm fair certain his B.S. meter would have absolutely exploded.

Quality free agents don't sign with teams that tank games.

Current players aren't interested in playing for a team that tanks games.

Joe Montana wouldn't tank games

Jerry Rice wouldn't tank games.

Ronnie Lott would rather cut off the rest of his fingers than tank games

Steve Young, John Taylor, Jesse Sapolu, Harris Barton, Steve Wallace, Brent Jones, Fred Dean, Eric Wright, Roger Craig, Tom Rathman, Ricky Waters, Michael Carter, Bryant Young. You see any guys that'd be interested in throwing a game for draft position?

"Hey, BY, I know how much you care about winning, but we're gonna need you to let this one go so we can move up a couple of spots in the draft. You see, there's this cornerback from LSU..."

Tanking games is for losers. And not the kind of loser that is indicated by a win-loss record.

Yes, these two. Good posts. This thread has no place in any 49ers supporters site and neither does the tanking games mentality.

Lock.
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
That's f**king retarded
Maybe the Cards tanked the game better than we did?

Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i hate this mentality....

I do to but it has bothered me that we win way too many meaningless games (weeks 15-16 when no hope for Playoffs). Starting with Nolan are record during games 15 & 16 is 9-3 or 75% wins. Rest games 28-56 (weeks 1-14) 33%. These games benefit a shakey coach trying to hang onto his job.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Colin Kaepernick (without sacrificing two picks, maybe just one).
3. Got Leonard Hankerson in the 3rd

How does an interim head coach go about asking his players to tank a game . . . when the purpose of tanking would be to improve draft position to get better players to replace some of the players you're asking to tank?

Obviously losing that game would have put us in better position last weekend, but the concept of intentionally tanking a game is completely impractical.

Your right.....plus he was coaching for a job next year too....
you don't ask them to tank the game. You start David Carr. Done.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I was pissed when won that game. I knew it would cost us come draft time. But really, if teams started losing games for the sake of draft positions, the game would be ruined.

Arizona definitely tanked on purpose. The game still isn't ruined. By losing to the Panthers, the worst team in the league, we showed we are capable of tanking better than any other team. We could have gotten it done.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I was all for tanking the AZ game, I got so much grief on how you always have to play to win. Well the Cards tanked it and got the better draft position. If the niners lost, the niners could have secured,

1. Patrick Peterson

How does an interim head coach go about asking his players to tank a game . . . when the purpose of tanking would be to improve draft position to get better players to replace some of the players you're asking to tank?

Obviously losing that game would have put us in better position last weekend, but the concept of intentionally tanking a game is completely impractical.

First of all, the owner should be the one asking the team to tank. He should also tell the interim coach that it won't affect his status with the team next year.

All they had to do is sit their starters and use the excuse that they needed to "see what they have" in other players on the roster since the game was meaningless from a playoff standpoint. That's pretty much what Arizona did to us. Who the hell was their QB? A 3rd stringer? If they had a fourth QB on the active roster, they probably would have let him play.
Originally posted by NinerGold39:

Damn, we even sucked at sucking.
Originally posted by Joecool:

No way. We lost to the damn Panthers. We were very good at being sh*tty.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
f**k that...I don't ever want to lose to the Cardinals.

1. Patrick Peterson

I'm never for wanting my team to lose. The Niners could have done better drafting, their strategy just sucked, that's all.
You don't Freaking lose a game on purpose EVER.... Period------ AND you think we should have tanked it to the FRIGGEN Cardinals?? Are you insane? The thought of this makes me want to throw up!!!!!
Originally posted by 49erRider:

That was a tough game to watch
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

That was a tough game to watch

damn it carr
Share 49ersWebzone