There are 59 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My take on our QB search

We're putting a lot of stock into some of these well-known QBs that are projected to go in rounds 1-3 (from Gabbert and Newton to Stanzi), but what if it's someone we're not expecting? Jim Harbaugh has been made famous for the QB scouting reports he did during his time with the Oakland Raiders. My point is, What if we select someone who is a relatively unknown prospect? After all, if my memory serves me correctly, Jim Harbaugh had Tony Romo rated as a 2nd round QB. And as we know, Romo went undrafted that year. So maybe Harbaugh is targeting a guy in rounds 4-7 who isn't getting much attention? I think a lot of people around here would be mad if that happens. Either way, I have faith that Harbaugh knows what he's looking for. He'll find us a winner!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Stanzi in the 3rd.
I have much faith in Harbaugh here. If he isn't able to evaluate, which qb is worth a pick and which is not, how could i assume, that i am ? This whole mock stuff here ist what it is : mock. Some of us know more about the players, some know less, but it is fun. Only one thing is for sure : The real thing will be different than anybody of us knows
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by KRS-1:

I was thinking that Tyrod Taylor may be a possibility.
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by PTulini:

I keep thinking he could be the 2nd QB we take if we take two.

Quote:
I asked Harbaugh if Hokies quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the ACC Player of the Year from Hampton, looks like a legitimate NFL prospect.

“Boy, he sure does,” Harbaugh said. “Just really impressed with him as a passer, as a runner. Strong, a leader, sturdy, a young guy who gets out of the pocket. I love the way he keeps his eyes downfield. There’s a lot of good running quarterbacks who break out of the pocket and you know they’re just going to run. He gets out of the pocket, his eyes are downfield, scanning. He makes great decisions with the football, when to run, when to throw.

“He’s a scary guy, scary guy when you’re the opposing coach. … When you’re winning with numbing repetition like Virginia Tech, he has been their quarterback. That stands out. The proof is right there in the pudding. The evidence is there. He’s a quality quarterback.”
I would expect two QBs to be taken so we could get that unknown guy but most likely anyone that late will be a project. You can't start a 6th or 7th rounder at QB in year 1... it's just someone to keep around and hope one day they can start. I really think we got our hearts set on a QB in the 2nd even if it means trading up. I wouldn't mind getting another vet and skipping QB until late but I doubt that happens. I know things will probably change but I say go for the franchise QB next year.

I keep thinking he could be the 2nd QB we take if we take two.

Quote:
I asked Harbaugh if Hokies quarterback Tyrod Taylor, the ACC Player of the Year from Hampton, looks like a legitimate NFL prospect.

“Boy, he sure does,” Harbaugh said. “Just really impressed with him as a passer, as a runner. Strong, a leader, sturdy, a young guy who gets out of the pocket. I love the way he keeps his eyes downfield. There’s a lot of good running quarterbacks who break out of the pocket and you know they’re just going to run. He gets out of the pocket, his eyes are downfield, scanning. He makes great decisions with the football, when to run, when to throw.

“He’s a scary guy, scary guy when you’re the opposing coach. … When you’re winning with numbing repetition like Virginia Tech, he has been their quarterback. That stands out. The proof is right there in the pudding. The evidence is there. He’s a quality quarterback.”

Where did you find that quote?
Ponder or Dalton in rd 2 or a slight trade up for one of them.

or Stanzi in the 3rd.

Tyrod Taylor would be an intriguing long-shot later, but why not just keep Troy Smith then? What's the big difference between the those two?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Ponder or Dalton in rd 2 or a slight trade up for one of them.

or Stanzi in the 3rd.

Tyrod Taylor would be an intriguing long-shot later, but why not just keep Troy Smith then? What's the big difference between the those two?

Harbaugh has said good things about Taylor and not Troy Smith

Where did you find that quote?

http://weblogs.dailypress.com/sports/teelblog/2010/12/stanford_coach_jim_harbaugh_li.htmll
This quote did come before the Orange Bowl so I'm not sure if Harbaugh was truthful or just nice.
I've been sticking with Taylor for a while now. He's never listed as a player that the team visited with, but Taylor mentioned a couple months ago that he spent some time with our coaching staff.

I think Taylor could thrive in a WCO. He's an underrated passer and he has outstanding escapability skills. I love his poise. He doesn't get rattled under pressure. He's keeps his composure. IMO, that's been Alex's biggest problem and one of the main reasons QBs struggle in the NFL.
Originally posted by strickac:
I've been sticking with Taylor for a while now. He's never listed as a player that the team visited with, but Taylor mentioned a couple months ago that he spent some time with our coaching staff.

I think Taylor could thrive in a WCO. He's an underrated passer and he has outstanding escapability skills. I love his poise. He doesn't get rattled under pressure. He's keeps his composure. IMO, that's been Alex's biggest problem and one of the main reasons QBs struggle in the NFL.

Me too.

And I absolutely concur with your observations re poise relative to success as an NFL QB.

Hearing him speak, Taylor seems confident in his abilities and serious and possessing of high character. I hope that the Niners take him somewhere in this draft. If Harbaugh is a creative game planner and QB guru, with the kid's athleticism, there are no limitations as to what he may be able to accomplish.
We're putting a lot of stock into some of these well-known QBs that are projected to go in rounds 1-3 (from Gabbert and Newton to Stanzi), but what if it's someone we're not expecting? Jim Harbaugh has been made famous for the QB scouting reports he did during his time with the Oakland Raiders. My point is, What if we select someone who is a relatively unknown prospect? After all, if my memory serves me correctly, Jim Harbaugh had Tony Romo rated as a 2nd round QB. And as we know, Romo went undrafted that year. So maybe Harbaugh is targeting a guy in rounds 4-7 who isn't getting much attention? I think a lot of people around here would be mad if that happens. Either way, I have faith that Harbaugh knows what he's looking for. He'll find us a winner!

I keep thinking the same thing. It would allow us to spend the earlier picks on other impact positions like corner and pass rush. We have also brought in speedy running backs and big receiving TE's. What if we didn't draft a QB until Devlin or TJ Yates or whoever, and used the other picks to build the rest of his power run offense. Harbaugh could see his biggest project on another team but he would have to wait to trade. meaning...if he tells baelke that he thinks brian brohm or whoever has more upside than the available QB's to be drafted. that would still give him 2 projects. He just can't make a move until the CBA gets worked out. who knows???
I also have a lot of faith in JH. We'll see on draft day by the 3rd round. If no QB taken he must have a real sleeper waiting in secret. I hope so. A guy like Jeff Garcia or Kurt Warner - both were winners.