LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 203 users in the forums

My take on our QB search

If you have a guy rated as a 2nd round QB I don't think you wait until the 7th to take him.

If Harbaugh had been in charge of the Raiders draft the year that Romo came out, and the team needed a QB, they would have taken him in the middle rounds. Maybe not the second round, but certainly before the 6th.

You can't assume that you're the only genius that sees the potential in a less talked about prospect.

If we have a QB that everyone thinks will go late rated as a second round prospect, then I think we'd probably take him in the 3rd, or maybe the 4th. I mean, if we have him rated that high then by the time the third round comes around he would most likely be the highest rated player on our board.

Playing this game of trying to get more guys that you don't rate as high just because you think you can still get your top guy later is just greedy and is likely to backfire. I don't think you take that risk with QBs.

And if they Cowboys had picked Romo in the third they would look like geniuses now, instead of guys who just got lucky.
Originally posted by stever:
I have much faith in Harbaugh here. If he isn't able to evaluate, which qb is worth a pick and which is not, how could i assume, that i am ? This whole mock stuff here ist what it is : mock. Some of us know more about the players, some know less, but it is fun. Only one thing is for sure : The real thing will be different than anybody of us knows

Well said.

I have faith JH knows QBs, so I'm completely fine with waiting till later rounds on getting a QB. Assuming existing players cannot be signed/dealt up and on through draft days, I hope our early picks address CB, OLB, and OL.
Originally posted by Giggidy:
Originally posted by stever:
I have much faith in Harbaugh here. If he isn't able to evaluate, which qb is worth a pick and which is not, how could i assume, that i am ? This whole mock stuff here ist what it is : mock. Some of us know more about the players, some know less, but it is fun. Only one thing is for sure : The real thing will be different than anybody of us knows

Well said.

I have faith JH knows QBs, so I'm completely fine with waiting till later rounds on getting a QB. Assuming existing players cannot be signed/dealt up and on through draft days, I hope our early picks address CB, OLB, and OL.

OL?
Originally posted by KRS-1:

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
If you have a guy rated as a 2nd round QB I don't think you wait until the 7th to take him.

If Harbaugh had been in charge of the Raiders draft the year that Romo came out, and the team needed a QB, they would have taken him in the middle rounds. Maybe not the second round, but certainly before the 6th.

You can't assume that you're the only genius that sees the potential in a less talked about prospect.

If we have a QB that everyone thinks will go late rated as a second round prospect, then I think we'd probably take him in the 3rd, or maybe the 4th. I mean, if we have him rated that high then by the time the third round comes around he would most likely be the highest rated player on our board.

Playing this game of trying to get more guys that you don't rate as high just because you think you can still get your top guy later is just greedy and is likely to backfire. I don't think you take that risk with QBs.

And if they Cowboys had picked Romo in the third they would look like geniuses now, instead of guys who just got lucky.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it could be someone "off the radar" that we aren't expecting.
I have been saying the same thing all offseason and not just about the Qbs. I think this will be the best Niner draft in 2 decades. Harbaugh is fresh out of the college ranks with his college staff for the most part. Our beloved Niners will have more draft insight this year than any other team in the NFL.
[ Edited by NinerBoss on Apr 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM ]
Tyrod is a good option, as is TJ Yates from UNC.

They very well could draft another QB late to cover their asses.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that it could be someone "off the radar" that we aren't expecting.

I fully agree with what you're saying. But what I'm trying to say is don't be surprised if we take that "off the radar" guy earlier than expected.

If Harbaugh thinks some 7th round prospect, like Devlin for example, is the best guy for us, and gives him a 2nd round grade, then we will probably take him way before the 7th.
I was just watching "Year of the QB: Three for the Show" on ESPN, and I came away very impressed with Tyrod Taylor! The show is a 3 part series that follows him, Jake Locker, and Cam Newton through the draft process culminating with the draft.

They showed Tyrod talking to his agent during the Combine and they mentioned meeting with Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers (as we know). He said Harbaugh had him break down some plays and discussed some of the verbage. Tyrod mentioned how the meeting went well, and Harbaugh seemed like a cool guy...

Later in the show you see Tyrod working with Michael Vick on timing, his mechanics, (3,5, and 7 step drops and throwing the different routes) and they talked about the WCO. He may not have the ideal height teams are looking for in a QB, but the kid has a very strong arm and he's a dynamic player. I still say that Tyrod Taylor could be an option for the 49ers in the mid rounds! At worst, he would make a solid backup.
I'm tellin' ya . . .

Mallet
Kapearnick (sp?)
Stanzi

In that order. I'd be satisfied with either one. And DEFINITELY Taylor later on.

Mallet is the COMPLETE NFL QB. People equating lack of straightline speed with footwork, don't understand football. He has an amazing arm and great footbal pedigree. Now if you want to bring up some vague red flags based upon drug use . . . it's just clutching at straws. You don't like his personality. Fair enough . . . just say so. I personally like his personality. He's not some namby-pamby kiss a$$. And he has the b*lls to say "Yea, I've smoked pot". Realistically, who hasn't at some time experimented with pot? And if you haven't . . . get a life.

Ponder. Not the complete QB. Weaker arm cannot make all the throws. He's just cannot be labeled a complete QB without it. He also hints at being a little damaged in terms of previous injuries.

Dalton has arm strength and ACCURACY issues.

Kapearnick.

Stanzi. For you guys clamouring for Dalton and Ponder, Stanzi has better measurables and pro-style play.

And Taylor . . . well he has great intangibles, escapability, attitude and arm. Size is his only drawback. So a late round pick.

That's the final word.

• evil
  • Veteran
I was just watching "Year of the QB: Three for the Show" on ESPN, and I came away very impressed with Tyrod Taylor! The show is a 3 part series that follows him, Jake Locker, and Cam Newton through the draft process culminating with the draft.

They showed Tyrod talking to his agent during the Combine and they mentioned meeting with Jim Harbaugh and the 49ers (as we know). He said Harbaugh had him break down some plays and discussed some of the verbage. Tyrod mentioned how the meeting went well, and Harbaugh seemed like a cool guy...

Later in the show you see Tyrod working with Michael Vick on timing, his mechanics, (3,5, and 7 step drops and throwing the different routes) and they talked about the WCO. He may not have the ideal height teams are looking for in a QB, but the kid has a very strong arm and he's a dynamic player. I still say that Tyrod Taylor could be an option for the 49ers in the mid rounds! At worst, he would make a solid backup.

I really hope we grab him in the middle rounds.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
I'm tellin' ya . . .

And Taylor . . . well he has great intangibles, escapability, attitude and arm. Size is his only drawback. So a late round pick.

That's the final word.

The funny thing is he's actually taller than Michael Vick, but not much smaller than Steve Young.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Rsrkshn.
I'm tellin' ya . . .

That's the final word.

The funny thing is he's actually taller than Michael Vick, but not much smaller than Steve Young.

Well then . . . CHAMPIONSHIP !!!!

Seriously, he's more of a QB (in terms of how he plays and thinks of the position) than Vick was coming out of college. Vick is only now "getting" it.

It would be great if we could somehow "steal" Taylor late. I wouldn't mind if we even "reached" for him a bit, say 4/5th to land him. Provided Haraugh sees the fit, ofcourse.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I'd really like Taylor.. I made a thread about him in the past. A nice 5th or 6th round draft pick that could have some potential.

I've always really liked Ricky Stanzi, who is currently working with Tom Brady’s longtime personal quarterback guru Tom Martinez out in California.

Quote:

“Is he perfect? No,” Martinez said of Stanzi, who idolizes Brady and adopted his throwing mechanics. “Does he have (Arkansas QB Ryan) Mallett’s arm? No. But he’s not far away, either. I think someone is going to get a real good guy, and a real good quarterback. I think he’s going to be a real steal. I don’t think the team that takes him is going to say, ‘I think we made a terrible mistake.’ He’s a solid kid right now. It’s just a matter of seeing how he develops.”

I hope we take him in the 3rd

[ Edited by Paul on Apr 27, 2011 at 08:55:00 ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Realistically, who hasn't at some time experimented with pot? And if you haven't . . . get a life.

I have never smoked pot, and am quite happy with my life.
Share 49ersWebzone