LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Draft super sleepers

With 30 days left till the draft, we all know who the major prospects are because of their college performance, the Combine and Pro Days. How about the guys we have never heard of?

This guy definitely qualifies as a super sleeper:

The buzz continues to build around Boise State backup quarterback Mike Coughlin, who wowed scouts Thursday. One anonymous former Bronco, who played with Coughlin at Boise State and is now on an NFL roster, was not surprised by the events. He said Coughlin always showed the physical skills in practice and in his opinion the program would have done just as well with Coughlin under center as it has done with Kellen Moore. The quarterback-needy Seattle Seahawks have already scheduled a workout with the former Boise State backup.

For all you draftniks, who are your super sleepers?
Loyce Means Houston CB

Maybe not a super sleeper but close.
Mario Harvey, LB, Marshall. This kid is a monster sleeper.

I think the 49ers really should take a look at this guy, but sadly.. I fear they will overlook him. He'd be an outstanding TED. He will get drafted without question, but no one knows about him, at least around here based on how much he's talked about.

* Harvey has played both the OLB and ILB positions.

* He weighed in at 5-11 250 and clocked a 4.46 at his pro day, while putting up a 32-inch vertical.

* This year he put up outstanding numbers: 143 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, 7 passes knocked down. He had three multi-sack games this year.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think the 49ers really should take a look at this guy, but sadly.. I fear they will overlook him. He'd be an outstanding TED. He will get drafted without question, but no one knows about him, at least around here based on how much he's talked about.

* He weighed in at 5-11 250 and clocked a 4.46 at his pro day, while putting up a 32-inch vertical.

* This year he put up outstanding numbers: 143 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, 7 passes knocked down. He had three multi-sack games this year.

yeah he looks good. i haven't seen what round he is projected to go if at all. We could take a chance on him and add depth to the LB's. See what happens with him. At the very least we add a great tackler with speed to the special teams. another benefit to having a 3-4 defense is the great LB's you can add to yor special teams.
Check out Mr. Bell
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

yeah he looks good. i haven't seen what round he is projected to go if at all. We could take a chance on him and add depth to the LB's. See what happens with him. At the very least we add a great tackler with speed to the special teams. another benefit to having a 3-4 defense is the great LB's you can add to yor special teams.

The 49ers MUST find themselves a TED 'backer for the future. Ahmad Brooks is NOT it. Navorro Bowman is NOT it -- he's a MIKE or a SAM. McKillop is coming off a multiple torn ligaments in his knee (ACL and Patella). He either doesn't make the roster, or is a back-up at best. He wasn't very athletic to begin with, so what can we expect from him now?

49ers have a decent starting crop of OLBs aside from the WILL position, but Spikes may not even be back this year. He said personally he doesn't think he will be, even though he wants to be. Even if he does come back, he'll be gone after one year. We have no legitimate TED.
I think people are also going to forget about Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech. He could be a steal late in the draft as well. For those who don't know.. Evans actually led the Hokies in rushing.

For those who have forgotten, although Evans was out in 2009 with an ACL injury, the prior year he amassed over 1200 rushing yards and 17 TDs.
A local kid (santa rosa) who went to Louisville--qb Adam Froman---looks like a possible prospect...you can see some film on him in the nfl draft scout web page--he is 6-4 219 and had a great pro day----he has a good enough arm, and can make plays running as well he looked really good vs oregon state, and missed alot of time last year after hurting his thigh...
A super sleeper?

How about WR, Terrence Jeffers-Harris?

Due to a technicality, he was not eligible for last years draft so he signed with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in the CFL. He did very well there and now he is eligible for this years draft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW67L8pl0S4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTrJNm1cxGk
I don't think many knew about Central Missouri St WR JaMorris Warren, but he ran routes during Blaine Gabbert's Pro-Day, and performed at a high level.

When all 32 teams are watching you snatch balls out of the air, and make a top level QB like Gabbert look terrific in workouts, people notice.

Warren, at 6', 195 lbs., was a Little All-American First Team, ran in the 4.4's at Missouri's Pro-Day, had 109 catches for 1458 yards and 20 TD's last season.

My sleeper pick is Keith Smith from Purdue. He led the Big Ten in Yards and Receptions in '09, but tore his ACL and MCL versus W.Ill. and was denied his 6th year of eligibility. He was viewed as a high middle round pick before the year, but is pretty much considered a 7th-UDFA now. Has great size and would be a great slot WR.
Coughlin will probably get signed as an UDFA and get a shot to make a roster in training camp.

The two Boise TEs were appparently really impressive as well. I expect that Harbaugh will draft another TE later in the draft for depth. When Delanie was injured, there was a huge dropoff in talent and Harbaugh really likes his TEs.

This guy has the physique of James Harrison/Elvis Dumervil. Who cares if he's less than 6 feet if he can put pressure on the QB?!
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

Where do you see him being drafted? He seems like a perfect fit next to Willis in the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense the 49ers will probably run. If they can't get Miller in the first, he could be a nice consolation later in the draft.

awesome choice OTC, I love Harvey. Solid player from Marshall, I think a sack machine, maybe a potential 5th rd pick for us.

I aso have him as a OLB and even like u said versatile enough for the Inside LB spot.
Share 49ersWebzone