There are 145 users in the forums

Draft super sleepers

Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Mario Harvey, LB, Marshall. This kid is a monster sleeper.

I think the 49ers really should take a look at this guy, but sadly.. I fear they will overlook him. He'd be an outstanding TED. He will get drafted without question, but no one knows about him, at least around here based on how much he's talked about.

* Harvey has played both the OLB and ILB positions.

* He weighed in at 5-11 250 and clocked a 4.46 at his pro day, while putting up a 32-inch vertical.

* This year he put up outstanding numbers: 143 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, 7 passes knocked down. He had three multi-sack games this year.

Where do you see him being drafted? He seems like a perfect fit next to Willis in the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense the 49ers will probably run. If they can't get Miller in the first, he could be a nice consolation later in the draft.

Due to his small size, I would expect him to go late in the 6th or 7th round. 5th is possible if a team really loves him. Teams typically don't draft 5-10 1/2 linebackers until late. But Harvey, who clocked in the 4.3's back when he was about 240, is just too fast and too productive not to be drafted. Harvey's 40 would've bested every draft eligible linebacker this off-season, unless you count Dontay Moch who was categorized as a defensive lineman at the combine.

The man is unbelievably thick and incredibly well-built to take on blockers. The guy isn't just fast either, and showed in agility drills he can hang just as well if not better than the other higher-projected players.

I think we put too much stock sometimes in size and speed. For a TED backer, I don't care if he's under six feet tall. If he can overpower people with his tremendous strength as well as fly around the field and make plays with his athleticism, I want that kid on my team. Hey, he may not do anything in the NFL, but I hope the 49ers are the team to give him that chance. I feel he would be a tremendous fit for Fangio's pressure-package heavy defense.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 28, 2011 at 21:02:55 ]
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Mario Harvey, LB, Marshall. This kid is a monster sleeper.

I think the 49ers really should take a look at this guy, but sadly.. I fear they will overlook him. He'd be an outstanding TED. He will get drafted without question, but no one knows about him, at least around here based on how much he's talked about.

* Harvey has played both the OLB and ILB positions.

* He weighed in at 5-11 250 and clocked a 4.46 at his pro day, while putting up a 32-inch vertical.

* This year he put up outstanding numbers: 143 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 3 FF, 7 passes knocked down. He had three multi-sack games this year.

Where do you see him being drafted? He seems like a perfect fit next to Willis in the 3-4/4-3 hybrid defense the 49ers will probably run. If they can't get Miller in the first, he could be a nice consolation later in the draft.

Due to his small size, I would expect him to go late in the 6th or 7th round. 5th is possible if a team really loves him. Teams typically don't draft 5-10 1/2 linebackers until late. But Harvey, who clocked in the 4.3's back when he was about 240, is just too fast and too productive not to be drafted. Harvey's 40 would've bested every draft eligible linebacker this off-season, unless you count Dontay Moch who was categorized as a defensive lineman at the combine.

The man is unbelievably thick and incredibly well-built to take on blockers. The guy isn't just fast either, and showed in agility drills he can hang just as well if not better than the other higher-projected players.

I think we put too much stock sometimes in size and speed. For a TED backer, I don't care if he's under six feet tall. If he can overpower people with his tremendous strength as well as fly around the field and make plays with his athleticism, I want that kid on my team. Hey, he may not do anything in the NFL, but I hope the 49ers are the team to give him that chance. I feel he would be a tremendous fit for Fangio's pressure-package heavy defense.

Sam Mills: 5'9" tall . . . 8 time pro bowl / (or all USFL)
"Every day, Stars coach Jim Mora asked his assistants who the best player on the field was. Every day, they told him Sam Mills"
Derrick Brooks 6'0" . . . 11 time pro bowl (likely Hall of Fame)
Zach Thomas: 5'11" . . . 7 time all-pro
Mike Singletary: 5'11.5" 230 lbs . . . . Hall of Fame
John Randall: 6'1 . . . 7 time all-pro D. tackle . . .Hall of Fame
Elvis Dumervil: 5'11"

Height is way over-rated

[ Edited by maxsmart on Mar 28, 2011 at 22:14:41 ]
I think people are also going to forget about Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech. He could be a steal late in the draft as well. For those who don't know.. Evans actually led the Hokies in rushing.

For those who have forgotten, although Evans was out in 2009 with an ACL injury, the prior year he amassed over 1200 rushing yards and 17 TDs.

I'm surprised when I see him rated as a 7th rounder or FA!?! He was ridiculous in 2008. I like Ryan Williams but I thought of him and Evans as 1 and 1a.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
I think people are also going to forget about Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech. He could be a steal late in the draft as well. For those who don't know.. Evans actually led the Hokies in rushing.

For those who have forgotten, although Evans was out in 2009 with an ACL injury, the prior year he amassed over 1200 rushing yards and 17 TDs.

I'm surprised when I see him rated as a 7th rounder or FA!?! He was ridiculous in 2008. I like Ryan Williams but I thought of him and Evans as 1 and 1a.

I believe he received a 4th-7th round evaluation from the advisory board. It's puzzling, and I have to wonder how much it has to do with his previous injury. I can't see Evans going undrafted.
Harvey seems like a super sleeper. How tall is London Fletcher? He's excellent - can Harvey compare?

Dear Harbaugh: Please draft a speedy RB to come in and change the pace of our running attack. We need our very own McCluster. amen.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With 30 days left till the draft, we all know who the major prospects are because of their college performance, the Combine and Pro Days. How about the guys we have never heard of?

This guy definitely qualifies as a super sleeper:

The buzz continues to build around Boise State backup quarterback Mike Coughlin, who wowed scouts Thursday. One anonymous former Bronco, who played with Coughlin at Boise State and is now on an NFL roster, was not surprised by the events. He said Coughlin always showed the physical skills in practice and in his opinion the program would have done just as well with Coughlin under center as it has done with Kellen Moore. The quarterback-needy Seattle Seahawks have already scheduled a workout with the former Boise State backup.

For all you draftniks, who are your super sleepers?

What about Shilo Keo:

I really like Chris Matthews a WR from Kentucky, he's 6-5, 220 lbs. He had almost 1000 yds. & 9 TD's in the tough SEC.
Looks like back-to-back years that a Hillsdale player will be selected. Andre Holmes, a 6'4", 210 WR who posted 1300+ receiving yards and more than 100 catches, ran a 4.45 at Michigan State's Pro-Day.

Most impressive to me is that Holmes ran a 6.69 3-cone time, a stunning number for a tall receiver. It simply means that he cuts on a dime, which is amazing for a 6'4" receiver.

Getting big interest from Cowboys and Patriots. Got to love these small schoolers.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Harvey seems like a super sleeper. How tall is London Fletcher? He's excellent - can Harvey compare?

I think he can. And surprise, surprise -- guess which team's scouts were there and took special notice of Harvey? The Patriots.

This is the same team that was high on a little-known guy named Myron Pryor not that long ago, a NT that I touted as a strong developmental NT prospect and assured people he would be drafted. They took him in the 6th. He emerged as a nice little contributor rotating in for Wilfork and appeared in 15 games this year, including the playoffs.

The Patriots drafted Brandon Spikes last year to be their TED and he did okay for a rookie, although he was suspended for four games. The Patriots have no problems stockpiling players at certain positions, and if they really like this guy, the 49ers might need to grab him in the 6th ahead of the Patriots or they could be out of luck.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 29, 2011 at 11:06:55 ]

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Looks like back-to-back years that a Hillsdale player will be selected. Andre Holmes, a 6'4", 210 WR who posted 1300+ receiving yards and more than 100 catches, ran a 4.45 at Michigan State's Pro-Day.

Most impressive to me is that Holmes ran a 6.69 3-cone time, a stunning number for a tall receiver. It simply means that he cuts on a dime, which is amazing for a 6'4" receiver.

Getting big interest from Cowboys and Patriots. Got to love these small schoolers.

Hands down the best player in that conference, although I'm torn on whether I think he'll be drafted. There are a few other small-school guys giving me fits as I finalize the Big 253, like Cameron Bradfield (Grand Valley St.), Trevis Turner (Abilene Christian), and Blaine Sumner.
Kealoha Pilares WR Hawaii.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
With 30 days left till the draft, we all know who the major prospects are because of their college performance, the Combine and Pro Days. How about the guys we have never heard of?

This guy definitely qualifies as a super sleeper:

The buzz continues to build around Boise State backup quarterback Mike Coughlin, who wowed scouts Thursday. One anonymous former Bronco, who played with Coughlin at Boise State and is now on an NFL roster, was not surprised by the events. He said Coughlin always showed the physical skills in practice and in his opinion the program would have done just as well with Coughlin under center as it has done with Kellen Moore. The quarterback-needy Seattle Seahawks have already scheduled a workout with the former Boise State backup.

For all you draftniks, who are your super sleepers?

What about Shilo Keo:

Shilo Keo turned some heads at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine with his diving try to catch a ball during drills. Would love him on our special teams and as a backup safety.

Raymond Webber 6'2, 218 lbs.

Quote:
MaiooccoCSN: RT @bardia_g Raymond Webber has 7 visits scheduled. First one was w/Rams. HE KILLED IT. Next up 49ers. > Arkansas-Pine Bluff WR (6-2, 218).

UAPB's Webber tabbed Consensus All-American Selection
Chris Prosinski / Safety / Wyoming

4.39 forty time (very few safety prospects ran this fast)
11 foot 2 inch broad jump

not just a combine guy (the opposite in fact)

voted team captain by teammates
over 100 tackles each last two years (off the charts for a safety)
semi-finalist for the academic heisman for the nation's top scholar athlete
led his team to back-to-back high school state championships as a Quarterback

Share 49ersWebzone