There are 191 users in the forums

First annual UNM sleeper: Byron Bell OG

Heh, well, Since I'm a proud alum of the University of New Mexico, I am going to try my hardest to find a player of need from the home of the Lobos. This year, it's an OT that projects to be an OG. This guy can be had late, and since OL is a need, and we have 5,000 picks in the 6th and 7th rounds, Say hi to Byron:

6'5"
348lbs.
All man.

Scouting Report

Lobo Player Page

I'm not the only one interested (though perhaps the only Niner fan that is):

Miami interested
Carolina worked him out

[ Edited by Lobo49er on Mar 28, 2011 at 15:41:06 ]
Hi Byron.
For someone who grades out that high, he must really have huge issues
I'd take him in the 6th or 7th, but does he have the footwork to convert to RG?
Originally posted by solidg2000:
For someone who grades out that high, he must really have huge issues

He got into a fight outside a bar and got arrested. He also had academic issues in his frosh or soph year (can't remember which).

But he really did turn it around (personally and academically) this last year and I think would be a great flyer in the 7th.
Originally posted by 5280High:

I'm not sure I can provide a completely educated answer to that. Perhaps OTC, MD, et al. can view the posted film and predict that better than I can.

My answer is yes, absolutely. He went from RT to LT and pulled quite a bit. I can't imagine RG requiring more footwork ability than LT, but again, I'm not an expert.
Edited orignial post: updated that Carolina has worked him out.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by 5280High:

I'm not sure I can provide a completely educated answer to that. Perhaps OTC, MD, et al. can view the posted film and predict that better than I can.

My answer is yes, absolutely. He went from RT to LT and pulled quite a bit. I can't imagine RG requiring more footwork ability than LT, but again, I'm not an expert.

Sometimes he looks pretty slow but other times he looks to get his feet in good position pretty fast, Im a little undecided. The only reason I wouldn't think we consider him is if he fits the mold of lineman Jim wants.

Sing would definitely consider him cause of the size, but are we going to start trending towards longer, leaner, more athletic lineman? Our only questions are at RG and Center (debatable, Im high on Baas), so do we continue with the road grader mentality or maybe get a lighter more athletic RG for more flexibility. Lineman now are huge and athletic, but 345 could be pushing it...
One thing is for certain.......the kid can down block.

You are not the only Niner and Lobo fan high on Bell.

Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:

Awesome - there's two of us. Time to start a webzone union and collectively bargain for more love for the Lobos.

You live in ABQ?

Awesome - there's two of us. Time to start a webzone union and collectively bargain for more love for the Lobos.

You live in ABQ?

I'm with you on the union and for more love for the Lobos.

I use to live in ABQ many many years ago, but I live in Colorado now. All of my family lives in New Mexico, from ABQ all the way up through Taos. Do you live in ABQ?

You live in ABQ?

I'm with you on the union and for more love for the Lobos.

I use to live in ABQ many many years ago, but I live in Colorado now. All of my family lives in New Mexico, from ABQ all the way up through Taos. Do you live in ABQ?

Rio Rancho - trying to move across the river though.

No Bell in the draft. No soup for me.
Woot! ( )

http://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/104469-former-titans-byron-bell-visited-49ers-over-weekend/The
Share 49ersWebzone