There are 209 users in the forums

Draft super sleepers

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Looks like back-to-back years that a Hillsdale player will be selected. Andre Holmes, a 6'4", 210 WR who posted 1300+ receiving yards and more than 100 catches, ran a 4.45 at Michigan State's Pro-Day.

Most impressive to me is that Holmes ran a 6.69 3-cone time, a stunning number for a tall receiver. It simply means that he cuts on a dime, which is amazing for a 6'4" receiver.

Getting big interest from Cowboys and Patriots. Got to love these small schoolers.

Hands down the best player in that conference, although I'm torn on whether I think he'll be drafted. There are a few other small-school guys giving me fits as I finalize the Big 253, like Cameron Bradfield (Grand Valley St.), Trevis Turner (Abilene Christian), and Blaine Sumner.

Sumner is going to be an intriguing prospect for some team. He looks like a bubble draftee, and I will probably add and remove him from the Big 253 Board a dozen times before I make a final call.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Kealoha Pilares WR Hawaii.

Definitely a guy who will be on some draft boards, but I'm not sure if he will ultimately be drafted. There are more than a few people who like him better than Greg Salas and think he is the better pro prospect.
Looks like back-to-back years that a Hillsdale player will be selected. Andre Holmes, a 6'4", 210 WR who posted 1300+ receiving yards and more than 100 catches, ran a 4.45 at Michigan State's Pro-Day.

Most impressive to me is that Holmes ran a 6.69 3-cone time, a stunning number for a tall receiver. It simply means that he cuts on a dime, which is amazing for a 6'4" receiver.

Getting big interest from Cowboys and Patriots. Got to love these small schoolers.

Hands down the best player in that conference, although I'm torn on whether I think he'll be drafted. There are a few other small-school guys giving me fits as I finalize the Big 253, like Cameron Bradfield (Grand Valley St.), Trevis Turner (Abilene Christian), and Blaine Sumner.

Sumner is going to be an intriguing prospect for some team. He looks like a bubble draftee, and I will probably add and remove him from the Big 253 Board a dozen times before I make a final call.

And hey, on a random note.. You've gotta be a believer in Bruce Miller now, don't you?

The guy is just a late-rounder-turned-star waiting to happen. He had an incredible Pro-Day, improving on all his measurables from the combine, which really were never bad to begin with. He was the strongest OLB prospect there at the combine (35 reps), and ran a decent 4.8 .. but wow, at the UCF Pro Day. Clocking 4.65, running the 3-cone in 6.75, a 33 1/2 inch vertical .. that's impressive.

Sure, he has to learn to play linebacker, but his work ethic and athleticism are going to help him make the transition. I have to believe he'll be a contributor somewhere, and really hope he succeeds in the NFL.

And hey, on a random note.. You've gotta be a believer in Bruce Miller now, don't you?

The guy is just a late-rounder-turned-star waiting to happen. He had an incredible Pro-Day, improving on all his measurables from the combine, which really were never bad to begin with. He was the strongest OLB prospect there at the combine (35 reps), and ran a decent 4.8 .. but wow, at the UCF Pro Day. Clocking 4.65, running the 3-cone in 6.75, a 33 1/2 inch vertical .. that's impressive.

Sure, he has to learn to play linebacker, but his work ethic and athleticism are going to help him make the transition. I have to believe he'll be a contributor somewhere, and really hope he succeeds in the NFL.

He's been my favorite UCF player for a long time, and I was disappointed to see his combine forty and 3-cone time. However, what a comeback at his Pro-Day. While the improvement in the forty and vertical and broad is nice, the difference in the 3-cone, which is my favorite timed drill, is stunning. Any non-WR/RB/CB who runs a 6.75 is worth serious consideration. Burn a 6th or 7th on him, put him in the Spikes, Bowman mix at Ted (where I think his future lays in the NFL...he's a Patriots type of player), and let the kid play. You know he is going to be a special teams stud.

Definitely a guy who will be on some draft boards, but I'm not sure if he will ultimately be drafted. There are more than a few people who like him better than Greg Salas and think he is the better pro prospect.

Salas is going for sure but maybe a team with 2 7th round picks could take a gamble.....wink wink.....

He's been my favorite UCF player for a long time, and I was disappointed to see his combine forty and 3-cone time. However, what a comeback at his Pro-Day. While the improvement in the forty and vertical and broad is nice, the difference in the 3-cone, which is my favorite timed drill, is stunning. Any non-WR/RB/CB who runs a 6.75 is worth serious consideration. Burn a 6th or 7th on him, put him in the Spikes, Bowman mix at Ted (where I think his future lays in the NFL...he's a Patriots type of player), and let the kid play. You know he is going to be a special teams stud.

Can't wait to see the futures of some of these guys. Every year you have those players overlooked and underrated that you just want to see make it big. Miller, Harvey, and Dalton are my three favorites. Obviously Dalton doesn't fall under the "overlooked category" but.. These three I want to see do well in the NFL.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
If we can't include Hawaii's Salas on the list, then here are the rest of my Diamonds in the Rough type of player...

WR - DeAndre Brown, So. Miss

OG - Will Rackley, OG - Lehigh

DE - Sealver Siliga, DE/DT, Utah (this guy's motor reminds me of Pierce Holt's)

Can't wait to see the futures of some of these guys. Every year you have those players overlooked and underrated that you just want to see make it big. Miller, Harvey, and Dalton are my three favorites. Obviously Dalton doesn't fall under the "overlooked category" but.. These three I want to see do well in the NFL.

Miller is legit. He's the type of guy you just want to root for and a guy you hope we draft. He's got a huge motor, great strength, his speed was the big knock on him and he improved that. With as many late round picks as we have, I hope we grab him with one of those. He's going to surprise a lot of people.
Not sure how much of a sleeper he is now, but Auburn DT/NT Zach Clayton (6'2", 299) was almost unheard of before his eye-popping pro day. While the world was watching Cam, this guy put up speed/agility/movement numbers equal to that of a power running back...but he's not just an athlete, he was 3rd on the team in TFL (8) and 3rd among all Auburn d-lineman in total tackles (38).

3-4 teams looking for a developmental NT who can get upfield and wreak havoc up the middle will be looking real hard at this kid.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/scouts_came_to_see_cam_newton.html

http://www2.oanow.com/sports/2010/nov/01/auburns-clayton-knows-role-defense-plays-it-well-ar-1040924/

Clayton dropping in coverage and sacking Oregon's QB in the BCS National Championship game

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6009877

Having watch the two play every game. Pilares is the better runner after the catch and will make you miss, but he always has these nagging injuries that hamper his full abilities and may only magnify at the next level.

Salas however always finds a way to get open and catch the ball, possibly because of the scheme of their run and shoot allows him to make adjustments to his route and the communication he developed with the QB Moniz. He is also a stronger runner.

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Not sure how much of a sleeper he is now, but Auburn DT/NT Zach Clayton (6'2", 299) was almost unheard of before his eye-popping pro day. While the world was watching Cam, this guy put up speed/agility/movement numbers equal to that of a power running back...but he's not just an athlete, he was 3rd on the team in TFL (8) and 3rd among all Auburn d-lineman in total tackles (38).

3-4 teams looking for a developmental NT who can get upfield and wreak havoc up the middle will be looking real hard at this kid.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/03/scouts_came_to_see_cam_newton.html

http://www2.oanow.com/sports/2010/nov/01/auburns-clayton-knows-role-defense-plays-it-well-ar-1040924/

Clayton dropping in coverage and sacking Oregon's QB in the BCS National Championship game

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6009877

Way ahead of you Ghost -- See Thread, Reply #69: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=153327&page=5

Last I saw, he was getting attention from Pittsburgh and San Diego.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 30, 2011 at 16:05:07 ]
^^ Yah, the cat is definitely out of the bag with Clayton.
Mason Foster from Washington anybody?
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Awesome player, but wouldn't qualify as a sleeper because of the attention he's gotten. Foster, who had an incredible bowl game, should go within the first three rounds.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Awesome player, but wouldn't qualify as a sleeper because of the attention he's gotten. Foster, who had an incredible bowl game, should go within the first three rounds.

Potential TED?
Share 49ersWebzone