There are 210 users in the forums

FCUK Robert Quinn

Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by cory4903:
after reading all the facts, I'm convinced we're gonna draft him and baby Balmer will be born.

because they went to the same school?

no, because all of his big stats came against crappy teams.

lol did you actually watch any of those games or did you just look at the stats to check who the opponent was?

QB pressures don't show up on stat sheets btw but sometimes are just as vital.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by cory4903:
after reading all the facts, I'm convinced we're gonna draft him and baby Balmer will be born.

because they went to the same school?

no, because all of his big stats came against crappy teams.

lol did you actually watch any of those games or did you just look at the stats to check who the opponent was?

QB pressures don't show up on stat sheets btw but sometimes are just as vital.

Also, it doesn't show up how many snaps he played containment, how many times he was double-teamed or chipped by the RB/TE.

Guys, he was only a soph. Most soph DEs won't have any impact at the top college level. He was great against weaker teams, and was pretty good against top teams. They had to game-plan for him...and that's all you need to know how good he is.
I am very high on him but I just hope we are not setting up for the next Aaron Maybin if he falls to us.
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
I am very high on him but I just hope we are not setting up for the next Aaron Maybin if he falls to us.

Isn't he the opposite of Maybin in terms os size and ability? Wasn't Maybin more of just a speed rusher off the edge? They are both young players but to me Quinn is much more physically gifted to play LB with his size.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:

Isn't he the opposite of Maybin in terms os size and ability? Wasn't Maybin more of just a speed rusher off the edge? They are both young players but to me Quinn is much more physically gifted to play LB with his size.

Yes Maybin was a lanky guy who didn't carry much weight and was very much a pure speed rusher. Funny thing is I think Quinn actually ran faster than Maybin.

But even though Maybin has done nothing so far he could still turn into a decent player at some point. Quinn is a more complete and stout player right now and he may even be younger than Maybin was entering the draft.

I always question some of these juniors who enter the draft after just one solid season - not the case with Robert since he was essentially forced to leave due to his suspension.
Originally posted by genus49:

Yes Maybin was a lanky guy who didn't carry much weight and was very much a pure speed rusher. Funny thing is I think Quinn actually ran faster than Maybin.

But even though Maybin has done nothing so far he could still turn into a decent player at some point. Quinn is a more complete and stout player right now and he may even be younger than Maybin was entering the draft.

I always question some of these juniors who enter the draft after just one solid season - not the case with Robert since he was essentially forced to leave due to his suspension.

Plus I really liked his interview at the combine. Seemed like a reserved young man that knows he made a mistake. His demeanor reminded me of PWilly's.

Plus I really liked his interview at the combine. Seemed like a reserved young man that knows he made a mistake. His demeanor reminded me of PWilly's.

Yea, I'm not worried about his off the field stuff at all. It was obviously a young guy mistake and he's paying for it and will learn from it. The kid almost lost the opportunity to play the game of football, he's going to play the game as best as he can.

It's guys who have been handed everything on the platter all the time who have never had to persevere at anything in life who coast once they get a pay check.

I meant as coming out the draft as the drafts "best pass rusher"

I meant as coming out the draft as the drafts "best pass rusher"

Technically that title goes to Von Miller or DaQuan Bowers.

And Maybin was more of the best speed rusher.

I rarely post but i have been reading the zone for about 3-4 years now daily. Im no scout, just a fan that spends too much time on the draft. Can someone please tell me why this guy is pretty much a top 10 lock? like i said im far from an expert, my draft sources are pretty much youtube lol. But this guy does not strike me as anything special.
I guess im not sure what to look for but when u watch von millers highlights, he looks special. i just dont see Quinn standing up and dropping into coverage in a 3-4 scheme. Again i just want an unbiased opinion about the guy because for me hes the guy i dont really want at #7 but i might have to get used to him. convince me, I dont wanna be disapointed come draft day!
Originally posted by ninernutt:
I rarely post but i have been reading the zone for about 3-4 years now daily. Im no scout, just a fan that spends too much time on the draft. Can someone please tell me why this guy is pretty much a top 10 lock? like i said im far from an expert, my draft sources are pretty much youtube lol. But this guy does not strike me as anything special.
I guess im not sure what to look for but when u watch von millers highlights, he looks special. i just dont see Quinn standing up and dropping into coverage in a 3-4 scheme. Again i just want an unbiased opinion about the guy because for me hes the guy i dont really want at #7 but i might have to get used to him. convince me, I dont wanna be disapointed come draft day!

Well my first suggestion would be to stop looking on youtube highlight clips. They're highlights for a reason.

Von Miller is an explosive pass rusher and he'd be a good pick. However Von Miller isn't as good in other areas as a defender. There are times when his first step doesn't beat the linemen he can be easily shut down. There have been times when a tight end blocks him one on one.

Robert Quinn is a much bigger guy. He has good speed and strength. He's a lot more consistent imo and he has very good leverage. Quinn would need a little bit more coaching than Miller because of his inexperience but with good coaching, time and some veterans pushing him he'd be a monster.

And he's definitely athletic enough to stand up. He may not be a terrific pass defender but neither is Von Miller and really that's not a huge thing for 3-4 OLB prospects. If they can rush the passer and seal the edge in the run game you're getting a great player.

If he's there at #7 and we don't pick him it will be a mistake. I have no doubt about it.
From Quinns's Pro Day:

Quinn, who had trouble with footing during a three-cone drill, said he wanted to compete and improve his numbers. He said he achieved that with a broad jump of 10-5 1/2 (compared to 9-10 at the combine), 24 repetitions on the bench press (compared to 22) and a 40-yard dash of 4.59 seconds.

"People say I look slimmer, but I weighed the same (at 264 pounds as the Combine)," Quinn said.

Quinn said the season-long 2010 suspension has been a subject for him to address with the NFL teams.

"Every team I talked to, they bring it up," he said. "I kind of expected the questions were coming."

Still, he said he has 12 to 14 individual workouts scheduled, mentioning the 49ers first. San Francisco has the seventh overall pick in the draft and has a need for a pass rusher.

"I'll have a busy three weeks coming up," he said.

Link
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
From Quinns's Pro Day:

Quinn, who had trouble with footing during a three-cone drill, said he wanted to compete and improve his numbers. He said he achieved that with a broad jump of 10-5 1/2 (compared to 9-10 at the combine), 24 repetitions on the bench press (compared to 22) and a 40-yard dash of 4.59 seconds.

"People say I look slimmer, but I weighed the same (at 264 pounds as the Combine)," Quinn said.

Quinn said the season-long 2010 suspension has been a subject for him to address with the NFL teams.

"Every team I talked to, they bring it up," he said. "I kind of expected the questions were coming."

Still, he said he has 12 to 14 individual workouts scheduled, mentioning the 49ers first. San Francisco has the seventh overall pick in the draft and has a need for a pass rusher.

Link

Let's do this Niners!
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
From Quinns's Pro Day:

Link

Let's do this Niners!

Agreed. Kind of getting my heart set on Quinn as far as hoping who we pick. And anyone who thinks that sounds weird, it isn't meant that way lol. I just really like how he would fit the team. Good guy who made a bit of a mistake that many other college football players make and dont get caught btw. He is a good fit as a 3-4 OLB, great athlete and he's big and strong enough to not suffer from Aaron Maybin syndrom or even be similar to Manny Lawson. As far as pass rush he has all the physical skills, like height, length, strength, quickness/explosiveness, etc. LB corp with Willis/Spikes/Quinn=yikes. We just need to find another OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone