There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

There is a wide range of opinions on Ryan Mallett, ranging from he's got the arm and the brains to be an elite quarterback, to he's another Derek Anderson. So, we've got five categories on which to grade Mallett -- here they are and my take on them.

Intelligence - All there, can read a defense, great at checking down for a college QB -- hits 3rd and 4th WRs, and spots a blitz quickly.

Leadership - Petrino raves about Mallett's leadership, and I haven't heard otherwise

Attitude - other than the way he talks, I haven't heard anyone bring up issues. He had an underage drinking charge or something.

Accuracy - Very accurate when his footwork is correct.

Arm Strength - unquestioned, rare arm strength

Arm Mechanics - Ranging opinions, but most scouting reports I've read rate his mechanics as a non-issue. Throws over-the-top.

Playbook - Plays in Petrino's offense, which is pro-style.

Footwork - very poor...he often puts his weight on his back foot and sails a ball for an interception -- most of his picks are due to poor footwork, not accuracy.

Mobility - Not fast, but he feels pressure VERY well and gets the ball away. Can Maneuver in the pocket. Peyton/Eli Manning style "mobility".

Summary: Excellent prospect with poor footwork. If we had a coach that corrected his so-so footwork, he's an elite quarterback...all the other tools are there.

A question I have for the WZ is whether he can play in a West Coast Offense -- thoughts?

[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 27, 2010 at 13:27:01 ]
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Harbaugh can fix footwork :-D
Also forgot he has a sick play-action.
I'd be happy with Mallet, if footwork is his biggest challenge that seems a lot more coachable than most anything else from what little I know.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
I WANT HIM IN SF
Originally posted by thedude:
I'd be happy with Mallet, if footwork is his biggest challenge that seems a lot more coachable than most anything else from what little I know.

I think he always neglected his footwork because his arm was so strong.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by thedude:

I think he always neglected his footwork because his arm was so strong.

And he could get away with it in college, I've watched a lot of him this year and he does seem to have what's needed at the next level. Depending on where we pick and what's available, I'd like this pick.
I could be wrong but you didn't include accuracy which I'd take any day over a guy with a cannon.

Judging from your post you seem to be a big Mallett fan...
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I could be wrong but you didn't include accuracy which I'd take any day over a guy with a cannon.

Forgot it -- added it. Basically, he's very accurate when his footwork is correct; when his footwork is wrong, he misses WRs, sails passes, and throws picks.

Not a Mallett fan yet, but very intrigued. I've seen him on TV vs. Bama and Georgia and he looked good in both despite the late INTs vs Bama.

I'm just tying to get all the facts. Some on this board are calling him a Ryan Leaf with nothing to back it up, just saying he has an attitude problem. Being a gawky 6ft-7in white guy who talks like he's from the inner city doesn't make him another matt jones.

[ Edited by nickbradley on Dec 27, 2010 at 13:30:58 ]
Draft him if luck is gone
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Forgot it -- added it. Basically, he's very accurate when his footwork is correct; when his footwork is wrong, he misses WRs, sails passes, and throws picks.

Sweet.

The Alabama game makes me very nervous about drafting this dude though.
He threw some devastating ints in that game...
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Ryan Mallett (6'7"- 238lbs) = Drew Bledso (6'5"- 238lbs)

Bledso had a pretty good career....#1 overall pick, 4 time pro bowler, 251 career TDs, played in a Super Bowl.

I think Mallet is a more explosive passer, but if we had Drew Bledsoe right now we would have a pretty good team. I always thought Drew was a good QB after that 1 big hit he took"I think it's against the Jets" that pretty slowed his career.

Mallett has a lot more mobility than Bledsoe.

An oak tree has more mobility than Bledsoe.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Originally posted by boast:

Lol he looks like Bill Burr
f**k ryan mallett i dont want him or cam newton anywhere near this team.