Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by titan:
Definitely still on the wagon. 6 TD and sat down the entire 4th qtr. Showed good movement and escape ability and of course the arm strength.

Yup. Although I didn't watch the second half, he did look like a franchise QB out there.

And check Mallet out with his 14 yard TD run.

Like I said, people talk like hes got two feet stuck in the ground, but the boy can move.

Wasn't that against UTEP?

Yes it was, but moving in and out of the pocket and showing elusiveness is still QB play in its own. All in all its still defenders trying to take your head off and shouldn't matter how weak or strong your opponent is.

The quality of the team you play is very important in evaluating a player. I have nothing against Mallett, but to say he is great because he had a good game against UTEP is a bit ridiculous. Getting chased around by some below average UTEP defenders is nothing like running away from future NFL starters like Marcell Dareus or Dont'a Hightower.

OK, sure the quality of an opponent matters somewhat, but I doubt scouts put a lot of stock into it. Cause if that's the case every QB in the big ten, big 12, SEC, big east and ACC would go in rounds 1-2.

And no way Joe Flacco, Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Ben Rothelisberger etc etc.. be drafted in the 1st round if they put that much stock into strength of opponents.

You know Tim Tebow threw for four touchdowns against Troy his senior season, should Troy seriously be used to evaluate a player on that Florida Gators team? There is such a talent difference between those two teams that I would not waste time watching them walk over Troy if I were evaluating college players. I feel the same way about Arkansas vs. UTEP. There is too much of a talent difference to evaluate Arkansas players in that game.

If you want to talk him up then say something about him completing 60% or more of his passes in every game except for the Mississippi game or that he has thrown for more than 300 yards in every game except for the Auburn game(hurt), Mississippi game(week after injury), and the UTEP game. Please don't use a dominant performance over crappy UTEP to rub your opinion in the face of all the haters in this thread. I know the only reason most of them hate him is because he's too tall which automatically disqualifies him from being a legitimate quarterback in the NFL. Good for them, ignorance is bliss.

Here's the thing, I wasn't even referring to his passing or dominance over UTEP as a QB, I was more referring to him being able to move and throw on the run. But there's a good example of you bringing up Tebow vs. Troy, matter of fact ESPN used that very game to evaluate Tebow as a passer, why because it was about his play, ball placement, reads and accuracy. Its not like Tebow and Mallet only play weak opponents week in and week out.

He doesn't play weak opponents week in and week out and that's why you only pay attention to his play when he plays formidable opponents.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Definitely still on the wagon. 6 TD and sat down the entire 4th qtr. Showed good movement and escape ability and of course the arm strength.

Yup. Although I didn't watch the second half, he did look like a franchise QB out there.

Like I said, people talk like hes got two feet stuck in the ground, but the boy can move.

Yes it was, but moving in and out of the pocket and showing elusiveness is still QB play in its own. All in all its still defenders trying to take your head off and shouldn't matter how weak or strong your opponent is.

The quality of the team you play is very important in evaluating a player. I have nothing against Mallett, but to say he is great because he had a good game against UTEP is a bit ridiculous. Getting chased around by some below average UTEP defenders is nothing like running away from future NFL starters like Marcell Dareus or Dont'a Hightower.

OK, sure the quality of an opponent matters somewhat, but I doubt scouts put a lot of stock into it. Cause if that's the case every QB in the big ten, big 12, SEC, big east and ACC would go in rounds 1-2.

And no way Joe Flacco, Chad Pennington, Steve McNair, Daunte Culpepper, Ben Rothelisberger etc etc.. be drafted in the 1st round if they put that much stock into strength of opponents.

You know Tim Tebow threw for four touchdowns against Troy his senior season, should Troy seriously be used to evaluate a player on that Florida Gators team? There is such a talent difference between those two teams that I would not waste time watching them walk over Troy if I were evaluating college players. I feel the same way about Arkansas vs. UTEP. There is too much of a talent difference to evaluate Arkansas players in that game.

If you want to talk him up then say something about him completing 60% or more of his passes in every game except for the Mississippi game or that he has thrown for more than 300 yards in every game except for the Auburn game(hurt), Mississippi game(week after injury), and the UTEP game. Please don't use a dominant performance over crappy UTEP to rub your opinion in the face of all the haters in this thread. I know the only reason most of them hate him is because he's too tall which automatically disqualifies him from being a legitimate quarterback in the NFL. Good for them, ignorance is bliss.

Here's the thing, I wasn't even referring to his passing or dominance over UTEP as a QB, I was more referring to him being able to move and throw on the run. But there's a good example of you bringing up Tebow vs. Troy, matter of fact ESPN used that very game to evaluate Tebow as a passer, why because it was about his play, ball placement, reads and accuracy. Its not like Tebow and Mallet only play weak opponents week in and week out.

He doesn't play weak opponents week in and week out and that's why you only pay attention to his play when he plays formidable opponents.

So where's the fault in that??? EVERY college team faces a weak opponent from time to time. And plays from the games wind up in players highlights all the time.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

So where's the fault in that??? EVERY college team faces a weak opponent from time to time. And plays from the games wind up in players highlights all the time.

Highlights aren't exactly "scouting" material...

Highlights aren't exactly "scouting" material...

Yes, but it helps. By watching a player's best performances, you see what they do best. In Mallett's case, you see his footwork, his release, the way he reads the defense, and the ability to evade the pass rush and make throws on the move.
  • titan
  • Veteran
^Some players don't even have highlights and they are in a skill position.
Mallet is sucking against LSU right now... making one dumb decision after another.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by ozanter:
Mallet is sucking against LSU right now... making one dumb decision after another.

He's had a couple nice 80 yard TDs, but yes the guy seems dumber then a sack of rocks.
  • rob28
  • Veteran

lsu is a better defense than anyone luck has faced. mallet is going against superior teams compared to luck.
Originally posted by susweel:

He's had a couple nice 80 yard TDs, but yes the guy seems dumber then a sack of rocks.

I agree, he has the consistency of Alex Smith, the intelligence of Nate Davis, the footwork of Frankenstein and arm strength of Troy Smith. He is like their love child.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

Yes, but it helps. By watching a player's best performances, you see what they do best. In Mallett's case, you see his footwork, his release, the way he reads the defense, and the ability to evade the pass rush and make throws on the move.
that was a little issue today...
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

I agree, he has the consistency of Alex Smith, the intelligence of Nate Davis, the footwork of Frankenstein and arm strength of Troy Smith. He is like their love child.
u mean matt cassel, don't you?

[ Edited by communist on Nov 27, 2010 at 16:06:25 ]

• rob28
  • Veteran
if mallett played in the pac10 he would be a heisman trophy candidate.
Mallett had a great game today against a tough LSU defense. 320 yards and 3 TouchDowns on just 13 completions.
I'd rather take him over Locker with no doubt.
1. Luck
2. Mallet
3. Stanzi (Only 4 Interceptions on the season!)

I wouldn't mind taking Stanzi in the 2nd round at all.
Originally posted by Gennez415:
Mallett had a great game today against a tough LSU defense. 320 yards and 3 TouchDowns on just 13 completions.
I'd rather take him over Locker with no doubt.
1. Luck
2. Mallet
3. Stanzi (Only 4 Interceptions on the season!)

I wouldn't mind taking Stanzi in the 2nd round at all.
did you see that game today or do you just read the stats? i tip on the latter one.
Originally posted by communist:

You guys are totally right, Ryan Mallett is actually not a good football player
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by communist:

You guys are totally right, Ryan Mallett is actually not a good football player

He is a pretty good college QB but looks like an NFL disaster.
Share 49ersWebzone