LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

The Ryan Mallett Bandwagon

• titan
  • Veteran
Yeah he really sucks! He only lead Arkansas to beat the #5 team in the nation and manage to put up these numbers. So what if he threw 2 int's it was a 50 yard bomb that got intercepted. Stop hating on the kid cause he is not from your neighborhood. Other than Luck's consistency find me a QB with a tougher schedule with his kind of numbers. I'm not mad at his courage and aggressiveness to throw deep. At least he can throw pass 40yds. and by the way those numbers are with your boy Peterson and Claiborne playing DB.

TD INT
Mallet stat vs LSU 13/23 320 13.9 3 2
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

He is a pretty good college QB but looks like an NFL disaster.
now, i understand
at least about 85 yards came from a nice but risky throw, which resulted in a 70 yards after catch play. yes, LSU is not a bash-around team but mallett didn't look like a top-qb today.

[ Edited by communist on Nov 27, 2010 at 19:49:05 ]
  • titan
  • Veteran
^ he has been passing like that all year long! nice of you to watch the last couple of games.
Originally posted by titan:
^ he has been passing like that all year long! nice of you to watch the last couple of games.
what's your problem...i am NOT a mallett fan but i didnt say that he played like s**t.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Ryan Mallett (6'7"- 238lbs) = Drew Bledso (6'5"- 238lbs)

Bledso had a pretty good career....#1 overall pick, 4 time pro bowler, 251 career TDs, played in a Super Bowl.
Originally posted by communist:
Originally posted by Gennez415:
Mallett had a great game today against a tough LSU defense. 320 yards and 3 TouchDowns on just 13 completions.
I'd rather take him over Locker with no doubt.
1. Luck
2. Mallet
3. Stanzi (Only 4 Interceptions on the season!)

I wouldn't mind taking Stanzi in the 2nd round at all.
did you see that game today or do you just read the stats? i tip on the latter one.

You "tip" on the wrong one. I watched the game, not like I said anything that was wrong.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:

Bledso had a pretty good career....#1 overall pick, 4 time pro bowler, 251 career TDs, played in a Super Bowl.

I think Mallet is a more explosive passer, but if we had Drew Bledsoe right now we would have a pretty good team. I always thought Drew was a good QB after that 1 big hit he took"I think it's against the Jets" that pretty slowed his career.

I think Mallet is a more explosive passer, but if we had Drew Bledsoe right now we would have a pretty good team. I always thought Drew was a good QB after that 1 big hit he took"I think it's against the Jets" that pretty slowed his career.

Mallett has a lot more mobility than Bledsoe.
Mallett had a great game today against a tough LSU defense. 320 yards and 3 TouchDowns on just 13 completions.
1. Luck
2. Mallet

did you see that game today or do you just read the stats? i tip on the latter one.

You "tip" on the wrong one. I watched the game, not like I said anything that was wrong.
ok, and how did you come to the conclusion that it was a great game by mallett???
1. Luck
2. Mallet

ok, and how did you come to the conclusion that it was a great game by mallett???

Maybe the fact that he consistently went downfield against a team that had as close to an NFL secondary as you will face in college, and that they scored 3 TDs and won because of his arm.

Originally posted by WillistheWall:

Maybe the fact that he consistently went downfield against a team that had as close to an NFL secondary as you will face in college, and that they scored 3 TDs and won because of his arm.
but he wasn't great...had a nice but very risky td-throw and an ugly interception. and he was very immobile. a GREAT game is quite another matter, imo.

[ Edited by communist on Nov 28, 2010 at 13:37:40 ]
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nickbradley:

Mallett has a lot more mobility than Bledsoe.

Really? Granted i haven't seen him play much but when I've seen him play he looks to have just as much mobility as Bledso
I like Mallett's arm strength, poise in the pocket, ability to lead a team, toughness, and skills in reading defenses (at the college level).

My two big concerns are over his elusiveness in the pocket. I'm not talking about speed here. Mallett is slow as molasses, just like P. Manning, Big Ben, Marino, and many other NFL greats. I just don't see the same ability as the superstars listed above to sidestep a defender, or quickly adjust in the pocket to get off that throw.

In other words, I see a really stationary target at the next level, ala Drew Bledsoe. And, with this OL, that could be catastrophic for a guy who has had a lot of injuries over the past four seasons.

There is a lot to like, but using a top 10 pick when there might be a number one WR on the board, or shut-down corner (like that exists), is pretty risky.

I see one QB in this draft with 1st round value, and a big dropoff in talent after Mr. Luck.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I like Mallett's arm strength, poise in the pocket, ability to lead a team, toughness, and skills in reading defenses (at the college level).

My two big concerns are over his elusiveness in the pocket. I'm not talking about speed here. Mallett is slow as molasses, just like P. Manning, Big Ben, Marino, and many other NFL greats. I just don't see the same ability as the superstars listed above to sidestep a defender, or quickly adjust in the pocket to get off that throw.

In other words, I see a really stationary target at the next level, ala Drew Bledsoe. And, with this OL, that could be catastrophic for a guy who has had a lot of injuries over the past four seasons.

There is a lot to like, but using a top 10 pick when there might be a number one WR on the board, or shut-down corner (like that exists), is pretty risky.

I see one QB in this draft with 1st round value, and a big dropoff in talent after Mr. Luck.

Agreed 100% with your analysis/critique of Mallett. However, though probably not worthy of it, I do see him and Newton (if they declare) getting drafted in the 1st round simply on need/potential....those factors alone usually (and almost always, incorrectly) inflate the stock of QBs.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

With poor OLine play wouldn't all non scrambling Pro bowl/Hall of fame QB all be in trouble! If the problem is the O-Line and not the QB then we should correct the problem and not count the QB out by not choosing to pick him even if his services are needed. Everyone that comes out of college is all potential and what they can be. No one knows how they will turn out. So I keep my option open on several QB's.I know some people here have dilusional man crush that elevate some prospects to God status. I know everyone is high on Luck and from what I hear he is a shoe in for hall of fame. Let's say he is that good! He will be gone by the time we pick. So the Imaginary world of Harbaugh and Luck dominating NFL is highly unlikely. So if Luck is gone plan B would be Troy Smith/Alex Smith?
Share 49ersWebzone