LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Lots of rumors flying around the Iowa program lately after the arrest of Iowas senior receiver Derrel Johnson-Koulianos on drug charges last week...players are getting kicked off the team after drug tests last week and I am hearing bad things about Stanzi

i'd still draft him

we drafted a dyslexic kid

why not a dude that likes to get high
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Lots of rumors flying around the Iowa program lately after the arrest of Iowas senior receiver Derrel Johnson-Koulianos on drug charges last week...players are getting kicked off the team after drug tests last week and I am hearing bad things about Stanzi

i'd still draft him

Getting high gets you suspended in the NFL...but its all rumors at this point.
Originally posted by ads_2006:

i'd still draft him

Getting high gets you suspended in the NFL...but its all rumors at this point.

meh

rapeburger only got 4 games, getting high shouldnt be more than that

but yeah only rumors
I'm on the Wagon. I love this kid. I think if were able to hire a real offensive minded coach like Harbaugh, he could be a great player and we would finally have our franchise QB. Stanzi in the second Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

But the best thing about this kid is his attitude and leadership. From a personality standpoint he reminds me of Drew Brees.
[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Dec 19, 2010 at 8:36 PM ]
i'm still wondering why the cbs page projects him as a 4-5th-rounder.
Originally posted by PTulini:

The most impressive clips from that were near the end. In all the other plays, he had no pressure and the receiver seemingly open by a mile. I have the opinion that the vast majority of QBs can make the throws in those specific situations.

-9fA
Originally posted by communist:

Only 1 quality season of college football despite starting multiple years. He makes alot of poor reads and throws. Average to weak arm, average accuracy, all while playing in a pro style offense. This was the QB killing games for Iowa that they should have won. Theres a reason why a prototypical sized, pro offense QB is only a 2nd most likely a 3rd day pick. He just isnt very good. Hes a future NFL back up, some teams future Ken Dorsey, Charlie Frye, Curtis Painter type QB.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:

Only 1 quality season of college football despite starting multiple years. He makes alot of poor reads and throws. Average to weak arm, average accuracy, all while playing in a pro style offense. This was the QB killing games for Iowa that they should have won. Theres a reason why a prototypical sized, pro offense QB is only a 2nd most likely a 3rd day pick. He just isnt very good. Hes a future NFL back up, some teams future Ken Dorsey, Charlie Frye, Curtis Painter type QB.

We won't know exactly how he'll turn out in the NFL, but to say the things you said, makes me wonder if you watched any of his games. He's progressed a lot since last season, shows way better accuracy than you're giving him credit for. One of the things he's gotten better at was making the necessary reads through his drop back. He's also got very good mechanics and footwork. Yes, the last 3-4 games of the season, Iowa flamed out. But not all of that is his fault. His o-line looked like they gave up and some of the playcalling was unheard of.
Originally posted by SF69ers:

We won't know exactly how he'll turn out in the NFL, but to say the things you said, makes me wonder if you watched any of his games. He's progressed a lot since last season, shows way better accuracy than you're giving him credit for. One of the things he's gotten better at was making the necessary reads through his drop back. He's also got very good mechanics and footwork. Yes, the last 3-4 games of the season, Iowa flamed out. But not all of that is his fault. His o-line looked like they gave up and some of the playcalling was unheard of.

Stanzi has progressed but not enough to show anyone he can be a nfl starter. He progresseed enough to be just to be drafted. When hes hit n pressured he folds. I can list games and dig up you tube clips to show you. He doesnt have the arm strength to make every throw. He still doesnt have the accuracy, touch and his ability to make quick reads is poor. Even Hawkeye homers will have a hard time saying hes more than a back up at the next level. Hes not going to be any better than Nate,Troy or Alex so where would he fit in SF? Or should we just stock up on more back up QBs like we have been since 2003? Dont man to be rude or anything but the guy just isnt very good when you look at everything about him.

Stanzi has progressed but not enough to show anyone he can be a nfl starter. He progresseed enough to be just to be drafted. When hes hit n pressured he folds. I can list games and dig up you tube clips to show you. He doesnt have the arm strength to make every throw. He still doesnt have the accuracy, touch and his ability to make quick reads is poor. Even Hawkeye homers will have a hard time saying hes more than a back up at the next level. Hes not going to be any better than Nate,Troy or Alex so where would he fit in SF? Or should we just stock up on more back up QBs like we have been since 2003? Dont man to be rude or anything but the guy just isnt very good when you look at everything about him.

I guess we can agree to disagree. When I watched Stanzi this season, I saw a QB that's matured from last year. He stood tall in the pocket and made quick reads. He showed very good accuracy (evident from his 65% completion percentage). He took more shots down the field. He doesn't have a strong arm, but he can make the necessary throws. Not only that, he's athletic enough to be mobile around the pocket.

I guess we can agree to disagree. When I watched Stanzi this season, I saw a QB that's matured from last year. He stood tall in the pocket and made quick reads. He showed very good accuracy (evident from his 65% completion percentage). He took more shots down the field. He doesn't have a strong arm, but he can make the necessary throws. Not only that, he's athletic enough to be mobile around the pocket.

Agreed, this kid has good size (not great but certainly good enough to add some more weight as well), I believe he is accurate with the football (65% completion rate?) and yes he did do a good job of checking down and reading the defense as needed. One other thing I liked is that he showed a little wiggle as well and can scramble as needed. I think he has a lot of Tom Brady moxie about him, and while he doesn't have elite arm strength he could be a very good QB overall. Please don't forget that the guy who just shredded our secondary doesn't have a very strong arm in Rivers, but he's very decisive and accurate with the ball.

BTW -- If he folds under pressure, what about the game winning drive against Michigan St. last year as time was winding down? Last year against Penn St. in Happy Valley in the rain, tough environment he helped lead the team to a big win. As much as Iowa fans thought this was going to be a great year, the truth is that it was a rebuilding year on a lot of levels. Several starters on D had to be replaced, the O-line was reloading from a very good group that left a year ago, they missed several running backs over the course of the year, and the Special Teams (KICKERS!) played awful.

When you force a QB to carry the load and dig out of holes constantly (see Arizona game), they are going to have a larger opportunity to make mistakes. Look at where Peyton Manning has been the last few weeks before they balanced up? When teams back off the run and play coverage with a lead, there are more and more defenders who have a chance to make a play on the ball and INT's become much more common. Let me end by saying I think this is going to be a 3rd rd pick and a good value for someone, I just hope it's us.
Well I think this video dispells all the rumors of me about his qb ability....He looks way better then they tell me he does lol....

I love this kid I think if we can't get luck stanzi is the way to go so take a cb in the 1st round and stanzi in the 2nd that's the start of a good draft and depending on who our coach is next year honestly I'd throw him n there to get thru the growing pains cuz the best way to learn really is hands on dealing with it. Hey thats how montana learned.
Yeah I agree, I would love for us to land a solid cornerback. Maybe peterson or prince. Hopefully we hire a offensive coach, like gruden, marty mortiweg (I don't know how to spell his name), oh holmgren. To develop Stanzi.

I don't know if anyone else notices his throwing motion is a lot like Aaron Rodgers. How he holds the ball up high,and his release...Pay attention to that
Honestly, I think trading down(if we don't make the playoffs) is not a bad idea. We gotta a lot of holes on this team and we need to fill them asap. Think about drafting: Marvin Austin, Ras-I Dowling, and Stanzi in the first 2 rounds. I would love that.f
Share 49ersWebzone