LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Alright, need some valuable info.

Does he fit in a WCO system and how so? Yes he does IMO. Nice, quick footwork. Makes the quick reads and zips the ball accurately to his receivers.

Does he have mobility? He's no Luck/Locker/Newton, but he can move around the pocket.
Is he accurate short to mid range field? Yes. Completed almost 65% of his passes at almost 9 yards per attempt. Here's a crazy stat: in 1st downs, he completed 92/131 passes, 70% completion percentage.
How are his feet? Good, quick feet. Stands tall in the pocket.
Does he have moxie to lead and question coaches? Yes. One of the things they mentioned he improved on this season is his decision making and confidence. He has all the confidence in his arm to make the accurate throws.
Does he have will to come back even after mistakes? After a tough junior season, his senior performance is proof that he can come back and be successful.
Does he play in a Pro set? Yes.

What do you guys think?

And after seeing the below clips of his footwork, I must agree. Seriously, love his feet. Like the way he continually looks down field, can move out of the pocket to buy time fluidly and his command and fire already speak for themselves. I love this kid's moxie already. Looks like he has pretty good accuracy from what I see.

Originally posted by 76Razor:
Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky
– this highlight reel uses two of the worse songs ever

Yea the songs suck while the highlights enlighten and intrigue.

He in the third looks good. If he does well in drills and in the SB, he could rise to the second. That's why his stock falling doesn't add up.

We will see.

in all seriousness, I think the kid has good footwork, his release is fairly quick. no locker type release but good. it's hard to tell from YouTube vids, but it looks like there is almost a little too much air under those deep passes. and it also looks like his velocity is lacking. again, hard to tell. I could be wrong. I would go second round for him.
Can it be the Ricky Stanzi Steam-Engine?

Does he fit in a WCO system and how so? Yes he does IMO. Nice, quick footwork. Makes the quick reads and zips the ball accurately to his receivers.

Does he have mobility? He's no Luck/Locker/Newton, but he can move around the pocket.
Is he accurate short to mid range field? Yes. Completed almost 65% of his passes at almost 9 yards per attempt. Here's a crazy stat: in 1st downs, he completed 92/131 passes, 70% completion percentage.
Does he have moxie to lead and question coaches? Yes. One of the things they mentioned he improved on this season is his decision making and confidence. He has all the confidence in his arm to make the accurate throws.
Does he have will to come back even after mistakes? After a tough junior season, his senior performance is proof that he can come back and be successful.

What do you guys think?

And after seeing the below clips of his footwork, I must agree. Seriously, love his feet. Like the way he continually looks down field, can move out of the pocket to buy time fluidly and his command and fire already speak for themselves. I love this kid's moxie already. Looks like he has pretty good accuracy from what I see.

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

He in the third looks good. If he does well in drills and in the SB, he could rise to the second. That's why his stock falling doesn't add up.

We will see.

in all seriousness, I think the kid has good footwork, his release is fairly quick. no locker type release but good. it's hard to tell from YouTube vids, but it looks like there is almost a little too much air under those deep passes. and it also looks like his velocity is lacking. again, hard to tell. I could be wrong. I would go second round for him.

The reason his stock hasn't been higher than a 2nd is because some people (mainly analysts) have been saying that Stanzi has no more upside and that he's maximized it in Iowa. I don't think that's true at all since he's progressed mightily since his junior season.

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

The reason his stock hasn't been higher than a 2nd is because some people (mainly analysts) have been saying that Stanzi has no more upside and that he's maximized it in Iowa. I don't think that's true at all since he's progressed mightily since his junior season.

Didn't they say the same thing about Montana when he came out of ND? No arm strength. No upside like Elway or like Jack Thompson back in 1979..

"Despite his performance on the field, Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State University rated an eight, the highest grade amongst eligible quarterbacks"--Wiki

Just sayin'...

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

Didn't they say the same thing about Montana when he came out of ND? No arm strength. No upside like Elway or like Jack Thompson back in 1979..

"Despite his performance on the field, Montana was not rated highly by most scouts. At one combine, Montana rated out as six-and-a-half overall with a six in arm strength, used to judge how hard and how far a prospect could throw the ball. By comparison, Jack Thompson of Washington State University rated an eight, the highest grade amongst eligible quarterbacks"--Wiki

Just sayin'...

I see what you did there

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

Just sayin'...

sometimes i wonder if scouts really know what the f**k they are talking about. someone posted some scandalous s**t about mel kiper jr a while back and how he inflated a player's stock through his diarrhea mouth. i am sure the same can happen in the opposite direction.

anyway, i am warming up to the stanzi thing. guess we will know more after the combine. if we eyeball him, would anyone be opposed to trading back in the first and picking him up towards the end of the first?

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

Just sayin'...

sometimes i wonder if scouts really know what the f**k they are talking about. someone posted some scandalous s**t about mel kiper jr a while back and how he inflated a player's stock through his diarrhea mouth. i am sure the same can happen in the opposite direction.

anyway, i am warming up to the stanzi thing. guess we will know more after the combine. if we eyeball him, would anyone be opposed to trading back in the first and picking him up towards the end of the first?

I just don't think he will get there. Maybe mid to bottom second at most, IMO. Probably a solid third. Still, we shall see how he does against MIZZ, the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

I am starting to warm up to the idea that we indeed will land a good quality QB in the first, second or third. If we do get Gruden, Billick or other pro that knows how to develop QBs, I can see us not picking one in the first especially if a top three talent like Bowers or Green drops to us instead of reaching for Newton.

I really want a great QB coaching support staff for him.

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

Just sayin'...

I just don't think he will get there. Maybe mid to bottom second at most, IMO. Probably a solid third. Still, we shall see how he does against MIZZ, the Senior Bowl and the Combine.

I am starting to warm up to the idea that we indeed will land a good quality QB in the first, second or third. If we do get Gruden, Billick or other pro that knows how to develop QBs, I can see us not picking one in the first especially if a top three talent like Bowers or Green drops to us instead of reaching for Newton.

yeah, i now have interest in that game. would you be in favor of holding on to mike johnson to develop a QB? if not, who you have you eyes on? i am thinking (and i could be wrong) that a new coach will have his hands full with just organizing his new team and not have much time to work with a qb, so gruden or whomever we land will bring in a qb coach. would johnson be retained? would he be just a qb coach? would he go backwards?

What do you guys think?

Two (bad?) things:

– his name is ricky

We will see.

Just sayin'...

Who exactly has Gruden and Billick developed? Just an honest question.

I'd still prefer Jim Harbaugh over them.

I don't know about that one specifically. Good question. I know that he help coach QBs as an offensive coordinator in Philly with Rodney Peete, Ty Detmer, and the great Bobby Hoying. Then he went to Oakland and I am sure coached up Gannon taking that offense to a top 8 ranking 3 out of the 4 years there.

Even though he didn't coach up the QBs directly as OC and HC, you know he had direct influence given his experience.

I would still love Gruden here as well as Harbaugh, but I think Harbaugh will decide to stay in Stanford to go for the National Championship with Luck who will decide to stay too once he learns his coach ain't going anywhere.

I don't know about that one specifically. Good question. I know that he help coach QBs as an offensive coordinator in Philly with Rodney Peete, Ty Detmer, and the great Bobby Hoying. Then he went to Oakland and I am sure coached up Gannon taking that offense to a top 8 ranking 3 out of the 4 years there.

Even though he didn't coach up the QBs directly as OC and HC, you know he had direct influence given his experience.

I would still love Gruden here as well as Harbaugh, but I think Harbaugh will decide to stay in Stanford to go for the National Championship with Luck who will decide to stay too once he learns his coach ain't going anywhere.

When I look at Gruden, I notice that he does well with a veteran QB. We all saw how he did with younger QBs in TB.

I'm still hoping for Harbaugh. He interviewed for two NFL teams last year and now that he's become the hottest college coach name out there, I'm sure he's got some leverage.

When I look at Gruden, I notice that he does well with a veteran QB. We all saw how he did with younger QBs in TB.

I'm still hoping for Harbaugh. He interviewed for two NFL teams last year and now that he's become the hottest college coach name out there, I'm sure he's got some leverage.

Indeed!
  • Nuns
  • Veteran

Indeed!

I'm worried that he'll go to Michigan, given his roots and all. I'm sure they'd chuck Rich Rod in a heartbeat for him. For some reason, I get the feeling Gruden want's to come to SF.
Originally posted by Nuns:

Indeed!

I'm worried that he'll go to Michigan, given his roots and all. I'm sure they'd chuck Rich Rod in a heartbeat for him. For some reason, I get the feeling Gruden want's to come to SF.

Trust your gut!

If you read between all the lines out there on the Webs, you can see that SF is mentioned almost every time as the team that Gruden wants if he goes back to coaching. That bodes well for us.

It's like the stars are finally aligning for us. Holmy's protoge comes back to the roost.

If he does, I trust who he picks at QB from the 1st - 3rd rounds! I just don't think he will pick a QB too high.

Stanzi seems to be a perfect fit for the WCO. Need an accurate passer with good feet and moxie.

Stanzi does fit that bill.
let's draft this kid after Mallett, who's with me?!?!
Share 49ersWebzone