LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 281 users in the forums

The Ricky Stanzi Bandwagon

Love this kid's swagger! Not only that, but love his comebacks! Truly, he reminds me of Joe in College at ND. I still remember that Cotton Bowl.

Hmmm....he's got everything I want out of my next QB:

Moxie--Check!
Accurate--Check!
Leader--Check!
Plays Pro-style Offense--Check!
Can create plays with feet--Check!
Not a captain check down--Check!
Comeback kid--Check!

I want this kid badly! Each week now, he seems to separate himself from his last year issues like interceptions for pick-6s. I just wanted to start this bad boy since nobody has yet.

Climb on board!
He has a weak arm. Other than that, he seems pretty good to me. I'd take a chance on him in the 2nd and let him sit for a year or two.
i like him but i dont think he can start immeadietly i would like him to wait a year before he starts
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Can't make all the throws.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

This was posted by Thorhawk from the "Quarterback Watch" thread:

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
He has a weak arm. Other than that, he seems pretty good to me. I'd take a chance on him in the 2nd and let him sit for a year or two.

Myth. The guy can throw an accurate 30-40 yard pass.
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

• Antix
  • Veteran
I'd take him but he needs to be developed so we'll have to get a FA to run things for a year or two.
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

Here my analysis of Sandiego49er
~Weak trolling
~Can't think clearly.
~Can't make all the posts.
~Overrated on the webzone.

How long are you going to keep spouting bs about players you have obviously never seen play?
[ Edited by Thorhawk on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:47 PM ]

Originally posted by Thorhawk:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

~Weak trolling
~Can't think clearly.

How long are you going to keep spouting bs about players you have obviously never seen play?

Originally posted by SF69ers:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

This was posted by Thorhawk from the "Quarterback Watch" thread:

Quote:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/18578/ricky-stanzi-the-critical-hawkeye

"Stanzi has been dead-on with the deep ball this season, tossing four touchdown passes of longer than 30 yards, all to senior wideout Derrell Johnson-Koulianos. Stanzi has completed six passes of 40 yards or longer and 11 passes of 30 yards or longer in his first seven games."

You can add another 30 yard td pass to the total. So can we please stop with this nonsense that stanzi does not throw well deep? I see him complete a long pass down field in just about every game he plays.

More proof that you obviously haven't watched this QB. The guy can throw a 30-40 yard pass with some zip and plenty of accuracy.

And how the hell can he be overrated?! He's not even a 1st round prospect and in some draftnik boards, he's not even a top prospect in the 2nd round, although he should be. He has progressed a lot since his junior year.

I've watched him play plenty of times. And he can't throw deep. He sucks at the deep ball. Alex Smith throws a much better deep ball.
There are three issues with Stanzi that we'll have to heavily consider if we're going to draft him.

1) Lack of arm strength -- If we are going to try to force him into a deep-ball offense, we're kidding ourselves. We better understand what kind of QB is, know his strengths, and mold the offense to fit that.

2) He won't be ready right away. Stanzi is not a fully polished product and will need time to develop. At least one year watching, preferably, and then playing time to really get into the flow of things. I like Stanzi, but it's quite obvious he's just not "there" yet.

3) Stanzi can get wild with the football. And the bad kind. In the NFL, the things he may try to do, try to force, will get him in huge trouble. As shown last year, he was making some horrific decisions leading to Pick-6's. Usually, even when that number goes down in college, it's a terrifying thing to think of if you're looking for a future QB. Grossman has this same problem of being careless, and at the worst times. If a QB has EVER had that particular problem at one point in their career, it's absolutely horrifying sometimes to wonder if it really was just growing pains or if it was an irreparable mental issue that will resurface in the Pro's, haunting he and whatever team he's on for the duration of his playing days.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
There are three issues with Stanzi that we'll have to heavily consider if we're going to draft him.

1) Lack of arm strength -- If we are going to try to force him into a deep-ball offense, we're kidding ourselves. We better understand what kind of QB is, know his strengths, and mold the offense to fit that.

2) He won't be ready right away. Stanzi is not a fully polished product and will need time to develop. At least one year watching, preferably, and then playing time to really get into the flow of things. I like Stanzi, but it's quite obvious he's just not "there" yet.

3) Stanzi can get wild with the football. And the bad kind. In the NFL, the things he may try to do, try to force, will get him in huge trouble. As shown last year, he was making some horrific decisions leading to Pick-6's. Usually, even when that number goes down in college, it's a terrifying thing to think of if you're looking for a future QB. Grossman has this same problem of being careless, and at the worst times. If a QB has EVER had that particular problem at one point in their career, it's absolutely horrifying sometimes to wonder if it really was just growing pains or if it was an irreparable mental issue that will resurface in the Pro's, haunting he and whatever team he's on for the duration of his playing days.

I agree. He deosn't have a deep ball and he is streaky with the other throws.
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
~ Weak arm.
~ Can't throw deep.
~ Overrated on the WZ.

~Weak trolling
~Can't think clearly.

Personal Attack, Thorhawk. If you don't agree with his points, counter them or just leave them alone...

Share 49ersWebzone