• Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by communist:
He's overrated on this board by a LOT.
this

I don't see anyone on here who thinks he could come into the NFL next year and light up the league, but you have to admit he has a lot to work with as a prospect...it's funny to me that you are a big Jake Locker guy and think that Cam Newton is overrated

Locker is a 10 times better prospect. It's not close.

Good thing you are not drafting for the 49ers
Originally posted by Jcool:
this

I don't see anyone on here who thinks he could come into the NFL next year and light up the league, but you have to admit he has a lot to work with as a prospect...it's funny to me that you are a big Jake Locker guy and think that Cam Newton is overrated

You do understand there is a big talent difference on teams that people play for don't you? WA is last in the PAC 10 in talent level. They just have a real good QB. And nothing else. He's individually a good player but they don't have much talent on WA.
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Quitugua:
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by Quitugua:
Originally posted by susweel:
Good college QB, dont think his game would work in the NFL.

Well he kinda reminds me of Vince Young when he was the QB at Texas. & they're were those that doubted that he (Vince Young) could play in the NFL, yet we still believe in Alex Smith & Matt Leinart....Kinda funny how we have our very own set of opinions, especially when we have a QB that actually doesn't know how to be a QB in the NFL...

Young sucks! Without Johnson in the backfield he would be garbage. It's not opinions what other members are giving you, I think fans are pretty knowlegable and they are just sharing experience. QB's like him don't have a lot of success in th NFL! They may beef up their highlights and stats, but they don't win the big one.

Thanks Man (Titan) for enlightening me with your sharing. But, I just have this question for you, if you had to draft either Vince Young or Alex Smith who would you choose?...

If they were both coming out of college this year I would pick Alex Smith in a heart beat. Alex Smith was the Man coming out of college. He was detroying teams teams with his running and passing. Don't get caught on the hype for gosh sake he threw for like 98 yds. that translates to 20yds int he NFL.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
this

You do understand there is a big talent difference on teams that people play for don't you? WA is last in the PAC 10 in talent level. They just have a real good QB. And nothing else. He's individually a good player but they don't have much talent on WA.

Auburn is not some stacked team.... they probably would have 2-3 losses with someone else at QB... they are a pretty average team without him.

[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 23, 2010 at 22:15:24 ]
this

Auburn is not some stacked team.... they probably would have 2-3 losses with someone else at QB... they are a pretty average team without him.
perhaps...but not because he is a good quarterback.
Tremendous college athlete, but would need a ton of work at the next level to be ready. Now, I'll say this though.. if you can develop him and make him into a great quarterback instead of just a great athlete, you'll have yourself a dominant, near one-of-a-kind type of player.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Tremendous college athlete, but would need a ton of work at the next level to be ready. Now, I'll say this though.. if you can develop him and make him into a great quarterback instead of just a great athlete, you'll have yourself a dominant, near one-of-a-kind type of player.
would/could be a very good mid til late-round pick...but in terms of a franchise quarterback in the near future, i wouldnt get him.
another running qb. how about we concentrate on pro style qb's
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Mel Kiper's scouting report on Newton:

"Phenomenal arm strength. He's been throwing the ball very well this year. First year as a starting quarterback in the SEC. When you look at Cam Newton's running ability, it's off the charts as well, accounting for 21 touchdowns.

"Cam Newton -- potentially -- is a big-time prospect. He's early on in his college career -- only halfway through as a starting quarterback at Auburn -- but right now, I like what I see."

Quote:
Name: Cam Newton (2010 JUCO/Transfer from Florida)
College: Auburn Number: 2
Height: 6-6 Weight: 250
Position: QB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2012
40 Time: 4.54 40 Low: 4.44 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round: Stock: ^
Rated number 2 out of 117 QB's
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71142&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB

"Phenomenal arm strength. He's been throwing the ball very well this year. First year as a starting quarterback in the SEC. When you look at Cam Newton's running ability, it's off the charts as well, accounting for 21 touchdowns.

"Cam Newton -- potentially -- is a big-time prospect. He's early on in his college career -- only halfway through as a starting quarterback at Auburn -- but right now, I like what I see."

Quote:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71142&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB
u wanna get another vince young?

Originally posted by susweel:
Good college QB, dont think his game would work in the NFL.
Originally posted by Negrodamus:
another running qb. how about we concentrate on pro style qb's
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Quote:

hmmmm 5 years.... 39 starts.... 2006 NFL AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2x Pro Bowl selection, 26-13 record as a starting QB and has never had a #1 WR or you could say a #2 WR either

Would love that on this team

[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 23, 2010 at 23:00:50 ]

Quote:

hmmmm 5 years.... 39 starts.... 2006 NFL AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2x Pro Bowl selection, 26-13 record as a starting QB and has never had a #1 WR or you could say a #2 WR either

Would love that on this team

A RB like Chris Johnson helps a QB way more than a top WR.

In VY's last 8 games, he hasn't thrown for more than 200 yards. Titans offense can score because of CJ, nothing to do with VY.

Newton is an intriguing prospect, but don't mistake him for a guy who can make plays in the passing game. His game is all about his insane ability to run.

Having said that, VY would probably to more for us then Smith . But our benchmark should never be Alex Smith.... Some of us thought Rodgers should have been drafted and Alex didn't belong in the top 10....

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 23, 2010 at 23:46:45 ]
this

Auburn has tremendous talent. WA has none except for QB. That's the difference.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 24, 2010 at 00:46:58 ]
Share 49ersWebzone