There are 257 users in the forums

What do y'all think of Cam Newton?

Originally posted by Jcool:

Auburn's record:

2008: 2-6 conference 5-7 overall

2009: 3-5 conference 8-5 overall

2010: 5-0 conference 8-0 overall

Difference seems to be Cam Newton.
right, but at which position? stop posting stats, start analyzing the games.
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:

If you want to draft an NFL ready QB then Locker is not the guy. He still has trouble reading defenses and is digressing in his second year in Sarkisian's system. He's got tools, but not much else...sounds a lot like Cam Newton. I'll admit he's farther along because he is playing in a pro system, but his play this year is very uninspiring.
u wanna compare a RB, who throw a pass once every 20 minutes with a quarterback, who can make the throws and has proven it already? c'mon man...

and just a question for all: had sam bradford learned how to read defenses at college? like i know, the answer is NO.

[ Edited by communist on Oct 24, 2010 at 14:11:04 ]
Originally posted by communist:

Auburn's record:

Feel free to start analyzing the games. Instead of using your over used Locker defense responses.

Auburn's record:

Feel free to start analyzing the games. Instead of using your over used Locker defense responses.
feel free to start to distinguish between a runner in a gimmick offense and a quarterback, who can make the throws.
u are annoyed about my locker responses and i'm annoyed to read sth about newton who has never ever proven anything about his qb abilites so far. like i have already said: bradford couldn read defenses either and he was even injured in his last season which is a full lost. and what's now?

Auburn's record:

feel free to start to distinguish between a runner in a gimmick offense and a quarterback, who can make the throws.
u are annoyed about my locker responses and i'm annoyed to read sth about newton who has never ever proven anything about his qb abilites so far. like i have already said: bradford couldn read defenses either and he was even injured in his last season which is a full lost. and what's now?

It was obvious to anyone who watched Bradford the kid had pinpoint accuracy and could make all the throws. Lockers can make all the throws, but pinpoint accuracy?? On some throws, but he doesn't have Bradford's consistency, or his cool under pressure. Newton can make all the throws too. I'd say he has as good an arm as Locker, or better. He's a more dangerous runner. And there are lots of gimmicky offenses in the SEC, but name a QB with a higher passer rating than him.
Look at Locker's stats in a gimmicky offense, please. Locker and Bradford is a RIDICULOUS comparison.

It was obvious to anyone who watched Bradford the kid had pinpoint accuracy and could make all the throws. Lockers can make all the throws, but pinpoint accuracy?? On some throws, but he doesn't have Bradford's consistency, or his cool under pressure. Newton can make all the throws too. I'd say he has as good an arm as Locker, or better. He's a more dangerous runner. And there are lots of gimmicky offenses in the SEC, but name a QB with a higher passer rating than him.
Look at Locker's stats in a gimmicky offense, please. Locker and Bradford is a RIDICULOUS comparison.
1.i dont care about stats because they only show the half of the truth...so plz stop arguing with stats like the passer rating. if u make a few completions, and one of them is a td, u get a very good passer rating. but it doesnt tell u anything about the real ability. even alex smith can throw tds.
2.i dont know why u have jumped on the accuracy waggon when i was talking about your argument of reading defenses. u said that one have to teach locker of how to read defenses and i said that bradford had the same problem...this is a BIG issue and the rams went for him with the 1st overall anyway.
3.locker and bradford dont differ much in terms of reading defenses.
4.i didnt complain about newton's arm strength...
5.perhaps, locker doesnt have the patience, perhaps he has to run if he doesnt see anything open down the field. should locker allow the defenders to sack him???

1.i dont care about stats because they only show the half of the truth...so plz stop arguing with stats like the passer rating. if u make a few completions, and one of them is a td, u get a very good passer rating. but it doesnt tell u anything about the real ability. even alex smith can throw tds.
2.i dont know why u have jumped on the accuracy waggon when i was talking about your argument of reading defenses. u said that one have to teach locker of how to read defenses and i said that bradford had the same problem...this is a BIG issue and the rams went for him with the 1st overall anyway.
3.locker and bradford dont differ much in terms of reading defenses.
4.i didnt complain about newton's arm strength...
5.perhaps, locker doesnt have the patience, perhaps he has to run if he doesnt see anything open down the field. should locker allow the defenders to sack him???

1. Dude, your argument is thrown out when you so much as compare Bradford and Locker. Bradford is a natural QB, with great accuracy and a good arm. Put Bradfor of last year on Washington's team and he would be a million times better than Locker is this year.

2. Stats may only tell half of it, but half of it is something. And being the 55th rated passer in the NCAA sure says something about Locker.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

Auburn's record:

Its not so much a gimmick offense... its more tailoring the offense to the strengths of the QB. The Offensive coordinator of Auburn is Gus Malzahn who you might remember was quarterback Mitch Mustains (Scout.com #1 overall player 2006) high school coach and Mustain was so sought after, Arkansas signed Malzhan as the offensive coordinator to get Mustain to sign with them. He was only there one season (Houston Nutt didn't like his no-huddle offensive philosophy, as he was a run first coach) but in that one season he was named National Offensive Coordinator of the Year by Rivals.com.

He had even more success at Tulsa:

Quote:
During the 2007 season Malzahn emerged as one of the premier offensive coordinators in the nation, as Tulsa ranked 1st in the nation in total yards per game, ahead of Texas Tech and Hawaii, and with a more balanced attack than both teams. The Golden Hurricane also ranked 3rd in the nation in passing and led their conference in scoring. Tulsa became the first team in NCAA history to have a 5,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and three 1,000-yard receivers in a single season.

Quote:
In 2008, Tulsa was again the nation's most prolific attack, leading with nearly 7,980 total yards of offense averaging 570 yards per game. The Golden Hurricane were ranked 2nd in the nation in scoring behind Oklahoma, scoring over 47 points per game. The offense was also the nation's most balanced attack, ranking 5th in the nation in rushing and 9th in passing. The Tulsa quarterbacks finished 3rd in the nation in passing efficiency, behind only Oklahoma and Texas.

Quote:
“I’m used to building the offense around the strengths of the quarterback,” Malzahn said.

The result is something different from anything he has had in his five years as a college coordinator.

Thanks to the dual-threat capabilities of the 6-foot-6, 250-pound Newton, Auburn is more run-based this season than any of Malzahn’s previous offenses. The Tigers have run the ball on 70.8 percent of their plays, getting 57.1 percent of their yards on the ground.

The first figure is higher than any of Malzahn’s previous four offenses. The second is beaten by only the 2006 Arkansas team that featured running backs Darren McFadden and Felix Jones and was only marginally controlled by Malzahn.

Quote:
Malzahn hasn’t had a quarterback of Newton’s skill set. He has used five starting quarterbacks in his previous four years as a college coordinator after leaving Springdale (Ark.) High. None would be classified as a running threat.

Casey Dick and Mitch Mustain combined for negative-32 rushing yards for Arkansas in 2006.

Paul Smith ran for only 73 yards but had 12 touchdowns for Tulsa in 2007. David Johnson ran for 186 yards and three scores the next year for the Golden Hurricane.

In Malzahn’s first year at Auburn, Chris Todd was hardly the nimblest of quarterbacks, finishing with negative-116 rushing yards.

http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/10/15/1307313/auburn-football-dual-threat-quaterback.html#ixzz13JkObi7h

[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 24, 2010 at 15:21:56 ]

1. Dude, your argument is thrown out when you so much as compare Bradford and Locker. Bradford is a natural QB, with great accuracy and a good arm. Put Bradfor of last year on Washington's team and he would be a million times better than Locker is this year.

2. Stats may only tell half of it, but half of it is something. And being the 55th rated passer in the NCAA sure says something about Locker.
1.yes, dont wanna deny bradford's abilites but don't forget that bradford came out a very good system and a shotgun-offense...locker's accuracy could be better, but it's not that bad at all. and jake has got a nfl arm.
2.no, u have to look where these stats rise from....u just have to. did he throw a lot of deep bombs or is his rating more a result of yards after catch? and so on...some deep passes in garbage time where the opponent thought that auburn will run the clock down?
look at mccoy's rating in 2008...so, is mccoy a good quarterback now? or was he more of an checkdown-artist?
like u have already said, stats are a good hint but not more...they aren't good for argumentation. too much room for misinterpretation.
Another jake locker he will struggle in the league!
s**t, at this point I'll take any body with a QB next to their name in the draft. Can't be worse then our situation

[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Oct 25, 2010 at 09:17:56 ]

• Riot
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
s**t, at this point I'll take any body with a QB next to their name in the draft. Can't be worse then our situation

Ugh, this.
Impressed with his ability to run...sure.

Impressed with him as a QB...nope.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Impressed with his ability to run...sure.

Impressed with him as a QB...nope.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
plz, in all the seriousness: did u see carr yesterday? right now i think that alex smith is equal to some mid-round prospects but i wanna see upgrades and not another raw talents.
so i dont wanna take any QB b/c the wrong guy can indeed corrupt our situation...we dont have endless resources but at least two QBs, who need them badly...don't need another one.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's overrated on this board by a LOT.
this

I don't see anyone on here who thinks he could come into the NFL next year and light up the league, but you have to admit he has a lot to work with as a prospect...it's funny to me that you are a big Jake Locker guy and think that Cam Newton is overrated

Locker is a 10 times better prospect. It's not close.

Good thing you are not drafting for the 49ers

You do understand there is a big talent difference on teams that people play for don't you? WA is last in the PAC 10 in talent level. They just have a real good QB. And nothing else. He's individually a good player but they don't have much talent on WA.

Auburn is not some stacked team.... they probably would have 2-3 losses with someone else at QB... they are a pretty average team without him.

Auburn has tremendous talent. WA has none except for QB. That's the difference.

No....idea......you have no idea.....

Really......

I am an auburn guy

I have only made 2 home games this year...but I have seen enough on tv to tell you....this is a very average team TALENT WISE ITS ALL THE QB.

newton is a beast , he is not in a spread offense throwing the ball so dont try to judge him by that standard.

He will be a 1st rounder.

He is 6-6 250 and runs like a cross between bo jackson and ronnie brown.

His jr season looks kinda like jason cambells jr season throwning the ball.

Give him another college season under the same offense....and it would not shock me if he went all bombs away next season.

The stuff they were running in spring ball , would have led me to belive that this team was going to be throwing the ball DEEP alot this season. Obviously Gus thinks this a safer offense to put on the field for a reason.

That does not change the Fact that Newton can Make every NFL throw , it does not mean he does not have room for improvment or that he is NFL ready...but so very few QBs are.
[ Edited by Dshearn on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:07 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone