Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Jcool:
Originally posted by SourdoughDan:
Originally posted by communist:
He's overrated on this board by a LOT.
this

I don't see anyone on here who thinks he could come into the NFL next year and light up the league, but you have to admit he has a lot to work with as a prospect...it's funny to me that you are a big Jake Locker guy and think that Cam Newton is overrated

Locker is a 10 times better prospect. It's not close.

Good thing you are not drafting for the 49ers

You do understand there is a big talent difference on teams that people play for don't you? WA is last in the PAC 10 in talent level. They just have a real good QB. And nothing else. He's individually a good player but they don't have much talent on WA.

Auburn is not some stacked team.... they probably would have 2-3 losses with someone else at QB... they are a pretty average team without him.

Auburn has tremendous talent. WA has none except for QB. That's the difference.

Not to mention I don't think that Newton has beaten a team like USC while throwing for 300+ yards twice
Originally posted by Quitugua:
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Good college QB, dont think his game would work in the NFL.

Well he kinda reminds me of Vince Young when he was the QB at Texas. & they're were those that doubted that he (Vince Young) could play in the NFL, yet we still believe in Alex Smith & Matt Leinart....Kinda funny how we have our very own set of opinions, especially when we have a QB that actually doesn't know how to be a QB in the NFL...

Young sucks! Without Johnson in the backfield he would be garbage. It's not opinions what other members are giving you, I think fans are pretty knowlegable and they are just sharing experience. QB's like him don't have a lot of success in th NFL! They may beef up their highlights and stats, but they don't win the big one.

Thanks Man (Titan) for enlightening me with your sharing. But, I just have this question for you, if you had to draft either Vince Young or Alex Smith who would you choose?...

Alex cause at least he can tell he's throwing a pick in double vince hasn't figured how to read a defense.

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Oct 24, 2010 at 00:58:59 ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
this

I don't see anyone on here who thinks he could come into the NFL next year and light up the league, but you have to admit he has a lot to work with as a prospect...it's funny to me that you are a big Jake Locker guy and think that Cam Newton is overrated

You do understand there is a big talent difference on teams that people play for don't you? WA is last in the PAC 10 in talent level. They just have a real good QB. And nothing else. He's individually a good player but they don't have much talent on WA.

Auburn is not some stacked team.... they probably would have 2-3 losses with someone else at QB... they are a pretty average team without him.

Not to mention I don't think that Newton has beaten a team like USC while throwing for 300+ yards twice

Exactly.
Originally posted by titan:
Originally posted by susweel:
Good college QB, dont think his game would work in the NFL.

Well he kinda reminds me of Vince Young when he was the QB at Texas. & they're were those that doubted that he (Vince Young) could play in the NFL, yet we still believe in Alex Smith & Matt Leinart....Kinda funny how we have our very own set of opinions, especially when we have a QB that actually doesn't know how to be a QB in the NFL...

Young sucks! Without Johnson in the backfield he would be garbage. It's not opinions what other members are giving you, I think fans are pretty knowlegable and they are just sharing experience. QB's like him don't have a lot of success in th NFL! They may beef up their highlights and stats, but they don't win the big one.

These!!!!!!
I'd like to see more of his passing but he's interesting. Reminds me of big ben and josh freeman just huge guys. Just not sure how well he can throw the ball.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
this

Auburn's record:

2008: 2-6 conference 5-7 overall

2009: 3-5 conference 8-5 overall

2010: 5-0 conference 8-0 overall

Difference seems to be Cam Newton.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Mel Kiper's scouting report on Newton:

"Phenomenal arm strength. He's been throwing the ball very well this year. First year as a starting quarterback in the SEC. When you look at Cam Newton's running ability, it's off the charts as well, accounting for 21 touchdowns.

"Cam Newton -- potentially -- is a big-time prospect. He's early on in his college career -- only halfway through as a starting quarterback at Auburn -- but right now, I like what I see."

Quote:
Name: Cam Newton (2010 JUCO/Transfer from Florida)
College: Auburn Number: 2
Height: 6-6 Weight: 250
Position: QB Pos2:
Class/Draft Year: rJr/2012
40 Time: 4.54 40 Low: 4.44 40 High: 4.67
Projected Round: Stock: ^
Rated number 2 out of 117 QB's
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=71142&draftyear=2012&genpos=QB
u wanna get another vince young?

hmmmm 5 years.... 39 starts.... 2006 NFL AP Offensive Rookie of the Year, 2x Pro Bowl selection, 26-13 record as a starting QB and has never had a #1 WR or you could say a #2 WR either

Would love that on this team

A RB like Chris Johnson helps a QB way more than a top WR.

In VY's last 8 games, he hasn't thrown for more than 200 yards. Titans offense can score because of CJ, nothing to do with VY.

Newton is an intriguing prospect, but don't mistake him for a guy who can make plays in the passing game. His game is all about his insane ability to run.

Having said that, VY would probably to more for us then Smith . But our benchmark should never be Alex Smith.... Some of us thought Rodgers should have been drafted and Alex didn't belong in the top 10....

FWIW in those last 8 games Vince has never thrown 30 or more pass attempts. In fact in his NFL career there have only been 2 games where he attempted over 30 passes and not gotten over 200 yards passing (out of 10 games where he had 30 or more pass attempts). The Titans tendency is to give Johnson 25+ carries a game, and they choose to run more so than they pass because they have an elite halfback and a very good run blocking line. The offense is geared towards it's strengths.
this

Auburn's record:

I see no relevance to 2008 or 2009. College teams turn over every single year. And so do their opponents in conference. Tennesse is always good. But look at this year. Auburn...2010 version is real talented. Period...
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
this

Auburn's record:

I see no relevance to 2008 or 2009. College teams turn over every single year. And so do their opponents in conference. Tennesse is always good. But look at this year. Auburn...2010 version is real talented. Period...

ummmm Tennessee hasn't had a good team in 4 years
this

Auburn's record:

Historically good. And they weren't this bad even recently. What about Texas? Typical powerhouse. How about this year? Changes a lot in 1 year...

this

Auburn's record:

you're both right and wrong

Auburn's success this year IS directly related to Cam Newton, Auburn has always had a lot of talent but has always missed a QB, no team can succeed without a QB and Newton has certainly turned that around. There's a reason this guy is arguably the leading candidate for the Heisman.

Be that as it may, his game is FAR from being NFL ready, anybody thinking he's a top QB in this year's draft is over dreaming, and if we do draft a QB it has to be an NFL-ready QB, not another project.
I prefer his brother Fig.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
this

Auburn's record:

you're both right and wrong

Auburn's success this year IS directly related to Cam Newton, Auburn has always had a lot of talent but has always missed a QB, no team can succeed without a QB and Newton has certainly turned that around. There's a reason this guy is arguably the leading candidate for the Heisman.

Be that as it may, his game is FAR from being NFL ready, anybody thinking he's a top QB in this year's draft is over dreaming, and if we do draft a QB it has to be an NFL-ready QB, not another project.

Chances are Cam Newton doesn't even come out this year. If the NFL has the lock out is would be much better for him to stay his senior year. Unless he leads his team to a national title and wins the Heisman and the NFL has not set a rookie cap. He does have to work on his passing but every QB that could enter the draft this year has things to work on and you would not want to have to start right away.
this

Auburn's record:

There's no winning with this guy...you'd think Washington had Locker and 10 other guys playing in electric wheelchairs the way he talks about their lack of talent.
this

i'm sorry but i saw enough to think that locker could be worth a first-rounder...but newton is a prospect, who could be drafted in the 3rd, and thats very optimistic so far...i thought that we wanna draft a nfl-ready qb...where the heck is this guy ready???

If you want to draft an NFL ready QB then Locker is not the guy. He still has trouble reading defenses and is digressing in his second year in Sarkisian's system. He's got tools, but not much else...sounds a lot like Cam Newton. I'll admit he's farther along because he is playing in a pro system, but his play this year is very uninspiring.
Share 49ersWebzone