LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 282 users in the forums

To You Jimmy Clausen Fans

Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Draftology:
Every team except the Bears and the Panthers past on him at least once. The Panthers had to take him because they have no one at quarterback (Matt Moore is a no one). I know many of you will say 'you watch. he'll be the best quarterback in this draft.' Well the NFL scouts and GM's who get payed to evaluate players disagree with you. In fact, Clausen was the 3rd quarterback taken, behing TIM TEBOW, who had to completely change his throwing motion to even be considered a quarterback prospect. Many teams with quarterback needs, like the 49ers and the Seahawks, passed on him twice. Point is Clausen sucks and we all should be thankful he is not a 49er.

lol not only did everyone pass on him, but when Carolina took him, they went and took Pike right after

Right after ? Or with a comp pick in the 6th round, which likely means BPA on their draft board.

Teams seemingly were drafting for need, thus why Clausen fell. Buffalo drafted a QB in the 7th round, Oakland filled their need via trade. Doesn't mean a whole lot, and doesn't mean he won't be a successful QB in this league. As others have pointed out Tom Brady and Tom Brady were not 1st round picks and they both have had HOF careers. In hindsight I bet a lot of teams would have taken Aaron Rodgers could they do 2005 all over again. Players drop, it happens.

Joe Montana and Steve Young both had great things to say about Clausen, as did Jon Gruden who even said he would love to be able to coach JC.

FWIW Jason LaCanfora reported that we would have taken Clausen at 49.

So point is, passing over a player, even doing so more than once does not mean he sucks or that he will never be successful as a pro. In Clausen's case he is better off in Carolina than with any other team, he landed in the greatest situation he could have.

the point is, they took Clausen AND Pike in the same draft. alot of people ranked both Clausen and Pike in the top 4 QB this year. what does it say about their confidence in Clausen if they take another QB in the same draft?

I think it says that Carolina had a need for 2 QBs on their roster and took the BPA. They also know that QBs are valuable and Pike could be a good trade chip if he looks good in preseason. I dont think there is anything wrong or concerning at all about picking 2 young Qbs when you have basically nothing on your roster.

Just some history... in 1989 Dallas took Troy Aikman with the first pick of the NFL Draft. The same year in the supplemental draft they took Steve Walsh with the first pick. In 1968 Oakland took QBs in rounds 1 and 2. The pick in rd 2 was Ken Stabler. Both those worked out OK. Maybe Stabler and Aikman were both motivated and challenged more by the competitiion. Who knows if that will happen with Claussen but I dont think it will hurt him in the least having Pike give him competition.
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I wouldn't call myself a "Clausen fan," but I wouldn't have minded if we took him. Now, let's get to your sorry attempt at explaining why you think you were right about him, shall we?

Every team except the Bears and the Panthers past on him at least once.

Every team passed on Tom Brady about 5 times, some 6. Every team passed on Joe Montana at least twice, some passed 3 and 4 times. What's your point?

Teams passed on him because they either didn't want to draft a QB or because of his attitude and some off-the-field issues they had with his character. That has nothing to do with his ability.

GET OVER IT. He'll end up being better than anything we have (except maybe Nate Davis, if they ever let the guy play).

I know many of you will say 'you watch. he'll be the best quarterback in this draft.' Well the NFL scouts and GM's who get payed to evaluate players disagree with you.

They also didn't think Montana and Brady would be the best in their respective drafts, did they?

These guys make mistakes. Our own GM and scouts f*cked up and apparently decided Brady wasn't better than Giovanni Carmazzi. IT HAPPENS. Sometimes teams decide they have bigger needs elsewhere and decide not to go with a QB. A lot of teams don't even have a NEED for a QB.

In fact, Clausen was the 3rd quarterback taken, behing TIM TEBOW, who had to completely change his throwing motion to even be considered a quarterback prospect.

And Crabtree was the second WR taken last year, behind DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY, who can't catch a pass to save his life even when it hits him in the damn chest! Again, WHAT'S YOUR POINT? The Broncos made a huge mistake. IT HAPPENS.

Many teams with quarterback needs, like the 49ers and the Seahawks, passed on him twice.

Many teams with "quarterback needs," like the 49ers and Seahawks, HAD OTHER VOIDS THAT NEEDED TO BE FILLED. All offseason we've had the "we need linemen" discussions forced down our throats. Now, we finally get the linemen we've been whining about all year, and you turn around and use that as ammo to diss a player of a different position because we didn't take him? Come on.

Point is Clausen sucks and we all should be thankful he is not a 49er.

Where's the evidence that he sucks? Let's see it. That "all teams except so-and-so passed on him at least once" statement is a LAME argument. Most people had him ranked as the 2nd best QB and the most NFL-ready, also a top-10 overall player. Just because he slid doesn't mean he sucks.

You should seriously consider changing your name, because you don't seem to know anything about the NFL draft.
You keep bringing up Montana and Brady and I've agreed that NFL scouts have made mistakes before but do you think that you know more than they do? Have you broken down his tape? Or are you just a fan that has seen him play a few times and thought he looked good? Jason White won a Heisman and didn't get drafted. I hate Clausen for his cocky, smug personality, the stories I've heard about him showing up to Notre Dame in a limo, and I'm just generally unimpressed with what I've seen. But, if he got picked in the top 5, I wouldn't say I'm right even though the team that picked him probably has watched every snap he took since high school. Why aren't you an NFL GM dude?

He's not saying Clausen will be good, he's saying you're a moron for jumping the gun and deciding what his career is going to be like before he has even taking a snap in the NFL. How about you wait and give this guy a chance before you close the book on him?
I do think he sucks, but there obviously is a realistic chance he'll succeed, just like any player who got drafted. But, it also works both ways. Tons of people in this forum are saying he will succeed before he has done anything. Many people were even saying he'd be elite and we should trade up for him, and I was saying that was ridiculous and I got called a moron for that as well, but yet he fell to the mid second round. The way people talk about him here, he will be the next Joe Montana. I personally don't like him, but it seems like everyone here is being pretty close minded in that they are already saying NFL GM's made a mistake in passing on him when 99% of them have only seen the guy play like 5 or 6 times. I could be wrong about him failing in the NFL, but I was right in that trading up for him was ridiculous, but no one seems to be willing to admit that trading up would have been a mistake. Even if he becomes elite, we could have gotten him at 13 or 17, but most NFL GM's don't think he'll be elite. Yes there are the Tom Brady's and the Joe Montana's, but those are two incredibly rare examples. The vast majority of successful current NFL quarterbacks were first round picks, or at least high second round picks-->Both Mannings, Rivers, McNabb, Favre, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford (so far so good), Cutler, Palmer, Rothlesburger, Flacco, and Young (kind of). There are a few exceptions, but all 14 of these successful quarterbacks had a higher draft position than Jimmy Clausen. The active exceptions are Romo, Shaub, and Brady. So all of you bringing up Montana and Brady, they were the minority. Usually when an elite quarterback is selected, they go in the first or in the high second. I'm not saying Clausen won't succeed. I'm saying the odds are against him, and that I don't want him to succeed because I generally don't like him.

[ Edited by Draftology on Apr 27, 2010 at 11:56:56 ]
  • flow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by Crazy4Niners:

and got schooled by a freshman

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 23zack80:
I wouldn't call myself a "Clausen fan," but I wouldn't have minded if we took him. Now, let's get to your sorry attempt at explaining why you think you were right about him, shall we?

Every team except the Bears and the Panthers past on him at least once.

Every team passed on Tom Brady about 5 times, some 6. Every team passed on Joe Montana at least twice, some passed 3 and 4 times. What's your point?

Teams passed on him because they either didn't want to draft a QB or because of his attitude and some off-the-field issues they had with his character. That has nothing to do with his ability.

GET OVER IT. He'll end up being better than anything we have (except maybe Nate Davis, if they ever let the guy play).

I know many of you will say 'you watch. he'll be the best quarterback in this draft.' Well the NFL scouts and GM's who get payed to evaluate players disagree with you.

They also didn't think Montana and Brady would be the best in their respective drafts, did they?

These guys make mistakes. Our own GM and scouts f*cked up and apparently decided Brady wasn't better than Giovanni Carmazzi. IT HAPPENS. Sometimes teams decide they have bigger needs elsewhere and decide not to go with a QB. A lot of teams don't even have a NEED for a QB.

In fact, Clausen was the 3rd quarterback taken, behing TIM TEBOW, who had to completely change his throwing motion to even be considered a quarterback prospect.

And Crabtree was the second WR taken last year, behind DARRIUS HEYWARD-BEY, who can't catch a pass to save his life even when it hits him in the damn chest! Again, WHAT'S YOUR POINT? The Broncos made a huge mistake. IT HAPPENS.

Many teams with quarterback needs, like the 49ers and the Seahawks, passed on him twice.

Many teams with "quarterback needs," like the 49ers and Seahawks, HAD OTHER VOIDS THAT NEEDED TO BE FILLED. All offseason we've had the "we need linemen" discussions forced down our throats. Now, we finally get the linemen we've been whining about all year, and you turn around and use that as ammo to diss a player of a different position because we didn't take him? Come on.

Point is Clausen sucks and we all should be thankful he is not a 49er.

Where's the evidence that he sucks? Let's see it. That "all teams except so-and-so passed on him at least once" statement is a LAME argument. Most people had him ranked as the 2nd best QB and the most NFL-ready, also a top-10 overall player. Just because he slid doesn't mean he sucks.

You should seriously consider changing your name, because you don't seem to know anything about the NFL draft.
You keep bringing up Montana and Brady and I've agreed that NFL scouts have made mistakes before but do you think that you know more than they do? Have you broken down his tape? Or are you just a fan that has seen him play a few times and thought he looked good? Jason White won a Heisman and didn't get drafted. I hate Clausen for his cocky, smug personality, the stories I've heard about him showing up to Notre Dame in a limo, and I'm just generally unimpressed with what I've seen. But, if he got picked in the top 5, I wouldn't say I'm right even though the team that picked him probably has watched every snap he took since high school. Why aren't you an NFL GM dude?

He's not saying Clausen will be good, he's saying you're a moron for jumping the gun and deciding what his career is going to be like before he has even taking a snap in the NFL. How about you wait and give this guy a chance before you close the book on him?
I do think he sucks, but there obviously is a realistic chance he'll succeed, just like any player who got drafted. But, it also works both ways. Tons of people in this forum are saying he will succeed before he has done anything. Many people were even saying he'd be elite and we should trade up for him, and I was saying that was ridiculous and I got called a moron for that as well, but yet he fell to the mid second round. The way people talk about him here, he will be the next Joe Montana. I personally don't like him, but it seems like everyone here is being pretty close minded in that they are already saying NFL GM's made a mistake in passing on him when 99% of them have only seen the guy play like 5 or 6 times. I could be wrong about him failing in the NFL, but I was right in that trading up for him was ridiculous, but no one seems to be willing to admit that trading up would have been a mistake. Even if he becomes elite, we could have gotten him at 13 or 17, but most NFL GM's don't think he'll be elite. Yes there are the Tom Brady's and the Joe Montana's, but those are two incredibly rare examples. The vast majority of successful current NFL quarterbacks were first round picks, or at least high second round picks-->Both Mannings, Rivers, McNabb, Favre, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers, Stafford (so far so good), Cutler, Palmer, Rothlesburger, Flacco, and Young (kind of). There are a few exceptions, but all 14 of these successful quarterbacks had a higher draft position than Jimmy Clausen. The active exceptions are Romo, Shaub, and Brady. So all of you bringing up Montana and Brady, they were the minority. Usually when an elite quarterback is selected, they go in the first or in the high second. I'm not saying Clausen won't succeed. I'm saying the odds are against him, and that I don't want him to succeed because I generally don't like him.

Same can be said about you being close minded just because he went 48th and that it must mean NFL GM's don't think he will be successful. That's an assumption but it brings little if any credibility to the table.

Each team has there own reasons, a lot of those teams were set with a starting QB, leaving only a few teams that honestly passed him over for their own reasons, be it the preference to draft for need over BPA or because they didn't see Clausen as a fit for their system or maybe they believed he wasn't as highly touted as some thought, but receiving high praise from Montana, Young and Gruden says a lot about what those 3 guys (2 HOF QB's and a respected NFL offensive mind) think and it shows that some people with a great knowledge of what it takes to be successful as a QB think of Clausen.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Does this mean that any QB that was passed over in round 1 and not selected until later in the draft sucks? I guess Joe Montana sucked because he was only a 3rd round pick or Tom Brady REALLY sucked because he was a 6th rounder.

There are only so many teams that had huge needs at QB that would have made sense to draft Claussen. So, the playing field is very limited. Yes, teams were weary of his attitude but that hardly means he sucks as a player. Personally, I think he will have a successful career and that Carolina was lucky to get him in rd 2. I am hardly a Claussen fan but to say he "sucks" because he wasnt drafted in rd 1 is just silly.
Brady and Montana had INTANGIBLES. Based on Clausen's physical tools, he should be a first round pick, but he has bad intangibles. People say the immaturity issues were overblown, but even in the 5 minute segment on ESPN with Gruden, Clausen found time to throw his receiver under the bus. Yes, that is one very small issue, but there have been tons of other unconfirmed reports, but Rothlesburger's issues have been unconfirmed as well and he's suspended for 6 games.

Gotta love it when people pull sh*t out of their asses to try to make it seem like they know what they're talking about.

Show me some video evidence proving he lacks these INTANGIBLES. I mean, after all, you MUST have some evidence, right? Let's see it. Apparently all those people that get paid to talk about these players on TV don't have anything on you. Why don't you work for them? I mean, you see things they don't, so you should have their jobs. As a matter of fact, since you seem to think these GMs agree with YOU, why aren't you an NFL GM? Apparently you're as good of a talent evaluator as every GM with the exception of two.

I've watched the guy play. He is not lacking in these INTANGIBLES. You just said that because it's an easy, cop-out, generic response in an attempt to make it seem as though you know more than you do. Clausen lacks intangibles like JaMarcus Russell lacks arm strength, or like Tom Brady lacks accuracy, or like Peyton Manning lacks vision and Joe Montana lacked leadership skills.
I'm not a GM because I admit they know waaaaaaay more about this stuff than I do. You are the one saying he's better than the GM's think he is. Todd McShay and Mel Kiper, two guys who make a living off the draft, admit that these NFL execs know more than them. I just don't know how some people can't admit that.

Look dude, the point I'm really trying to get across is that his slide into the 2nd round doesn't mean the GMs didn't think he was good. There are many reasons they could have chosen to go with another player. Team needs are the most common reason to pass on a player of a certain position when you feel a different position needs to be filled more desperately. Another reason could be the same reason you hate him - his attitude and personality. Ben Roethlisberger is a huge douche and an idiot, but he's proven to be a clutch QB capable of winning a championship or two. So, while Jimmy Clausen might be a douche, it doesn't mean he won't be a good QB, but it could have turned GMs off to him.
Every team except the Bears and the Panthers past on him at least once. The Panthers had to take him because they have no one at quarterback (Matt Moore is a no one). I know many of you will say 'you watch. he'll be the best quarterback in this draft.' Well the NFL scouts and GM's who get payed to evaluate players disagree with you. In fact, Clausen was the 3rd quarterback taken, behing TIM TEBOW, who had to completely change his throwing motion to even be considered a quarterback prospect. Many teams with quarterback needs, like the 49ers and the Seahawks, passed on him twice. Point is Clausen sucks and we all should be thankful he is not a 49er.

lol not only did everyone pass on him, but when Carolina took him, they went and took Pike right after

Right after ? Or with a comp pick in the 6th round, which likely means BPA on their draft board.

Teams seemingly were drafting for need, thus why Clausen fell. Buffalo drafted a QB in the 7th round, Oakland filled their need via trade. Doesn't mean a whole lot, and doesn't mean he won't be a successful QB in this league. As others have pointed out Tom Brady and Tom Brady were not 1st round picks and they both have had HOF careers. In hindsight I bet a lot of teams would have taken Aaron Rodgers could they do 2005 all over again. Players drop, it happens.

Joe Montana and Steve Young both had great things to say about Clausen, as did Jon Gruden who even said he would love to be able to coach JC.

So point is, passing over a player, even doing so more than once does not mean he sucks or that he will never be successful as a pro. In Clausen's case he is better off in Carolina than with any other team, he landed in the greatest situation he could have.

the point is, they took Clausen AND Pike in the same draft. alot of people ranked both Clausen and Pike in the top 4 QB this year. what does it say about their confidence in Clausen if they take another QB in the same draft?

To me, it says they want an adequate backup in case Clausen goes down. You can never have enough good QBs on your roster. Plus, if Clausen starts and Pike gets a chance to prove he can also be a good QB in this league, they now have serious trade bait. Not everything is as simple as it seems.

possibly, but usually if you draft a guy to be your future QB, and you want QB depth, you sign a veteran f/a. without playing time, Pike will be a useless backup. if they really wanted depth, theyd sign experience. i think this was a "we dont fully trust either one, so lets take both and see who pans out." which like i said, says alot about Clausen.

Kiper made this guy out to be a top 5, franchise QB with all the skills and traits to be great. obviously the rest of the NFL, and even Carolina, arent so sure about that.

To me, it says they want an adequate backup in case Clausen goes down. You can never have enough good QBs on your roster. Plus, if Clausen starts and Pike gets a chance to prove he can also be a good QB in this league, they now have serious trade bait. Not everything is as simple as it seems.

you dont draft a 2nd rookie QB to back up the first if youre worried about adequacy. you sign a veteran as a backup. in this case, if they felt strongly about Clausen, they wouldnt have drafted another guy as a backup plan. keep in mind this was their first pick of the draft, so its no flier. 30 teams passing on Clausen, some twice, plus the team that takes him drafting a 2nd qb option later, is a sign that hes nowhere near as highly touted as Kiper made him out to be.

[ Edited by Niners99 on Apr 28, 2010 at 01:04:49 ]
Originally posted by boast:
f**k Jimmy Clausen!
I dont think Clausen sucks. I do believe we had bigger needs than Quarterback and we addressed them 1st, offensive line and safety.

possibly, but usually if you draft a guy to be your future QB, and you want QB depth, you sign a veteran f/a. without playing time, Pike will be a useless backup. if they really wanted depth, theyd sign experience. i think this was a "we dont fully trust either one, so lets take both and see who pans out." which like i said, says alot about Clausen.

Kiper made this guy out to be a top 5, franchise QB with all the skills and traits to be great. obviously the rest of the NFL, and even Carolina, arent so sure about that.

you dont draft a 2nd rookie QB to back up the first if youre worried about adequacy. you sign a veteran as a backup. in this case, if they felt strongly about Clausen, they wouldnt have drafted another guy as a backup plan. keep in mind this was their first pick of the draft, so its no flier. 30 teams passing on Clausen, some twice, plus the team that takes him drafting a 2nd qb option later, is a sign that hes nowhere near as highly touted as Kiper made him out to be.

unless they viewed Pike as a better QB than what was available in FA.

Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

and got schooled by a freshman

This is hilarious!
Originally posted by valrod33:
f**k YOU JIMMY CLAUSEN
  • SportinWood
  • Info N/A
f**k jimmy and the panthers
He seriously does look like a huge douchebag.
Originally posted by jones49:
He seriously does look like a huge douchebag.

I thought that the first time I saw him play back in the California State HS Championship. He looked like such a cocky f**k and was rockin' a big white sweatband that made him look like a total queen. I hated him instantly. It was easy to root against him.
Share 49ersWebzone