To You Jimmy Clausen Fans

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I know you're a ND fan boy and all but did you actually watch Clausen throw the ball?

90% of his throws are made off his back foot if you do that in the NFL you will be picked 90% of the time

did you catch how the boys at NFL network broke down Jay Cutlers footwork yesterday? same deal most of his throws come off the back foot why he throws so many picks

it will be many years before if at all he learns the right way how longs Jay been at it and he still hasn't figured it out

And being a Michigan fan means your view will be skewed by your hatred for the Golden Domers

The back foot throws can be corrected, and 90% is a HUGE over exaggeration, especially if you look at his junior year. He did a much better job of stepping up and using better footwork though it still needs work.

Every QB coming out has some aspect of his game that will need to be refined, it's quite normal. If the backfoot issue was such a big deal Gruden would have spent more time working on that when they did the ESPN segment, just as the media would have made a bigger deal when breaking him down pre-draft.

If Clausen sits for a few years and learns the game and the correct way to play it then sure he's got a shot but don't make it sound like he would step into a team from day one and be a top QB

very first pass rolls out has all the daylight in the world to step up and throw and lets it fly off his back foot

even when he's got a good pocket he likes to dive out of his passes and use all arm that's not a good sign

IMO he needs a lot of work

I never said he could step in from day 1 and be a top QB nor do I think I implied that.

And on that pass while he could have stopped and planted and thrown it with proper technique/footwork, but the window to hit a wide open Tate would have not been a lot smaller/tighter to throw into, he threw it because his receiver is wide open with room to run after the catch and wanted to get the ball in his hands.

you said you would rather have Clausen than Smith right what sense does that make? how would that help the 9ers to have Clausen ridding the pine for the next 2-3 years?

and I wasn't just taking about the first pass although I found it funny you see it throughout the entire vid

1- All I did was analyze the first pass which you criticized.

2- I never said I would rather have Clausen over Smith, I said it should be welcomed by 49er fans to have Clausen considering what Smith has done to date. Clausen doesn't need 2-3 years to sit, that's crazy talk. He may need a year on the bench, but after that it becomes time to let him truly compete for the starting job.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill with his backfoot throws...watch Bradford at the 30 second mark and again at the 3:50 mark

Clausen does a good job of setting his feet when in the pocket, but could he do a better job and will his QB coach in Carolina ride his ass about doing a better job while in the pocket ? Yes and you betcha, but that doesn't mean he needs 2-3 years on the bench. Let's not get carried away.

Again every QB has flaws coming out and those get ironed out or attempted to at least, and that's what they will do with Jimmy down in Carolina. Bradford has his flaws, as does Sanchez, as did Stafford and as does Colt McCoy. Just like Alex had his....the list goes on and on. But Clausen is much more refined coming out than Alex Smith was and has a much smaller learning curve.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
I know you're a ND fan boy and all but did you actually watch Clausen throw the ball?

90% of his throws are made off his back foot if you do that in the NFL you will be picked 90% of the time

did you catch how the boys at NFL network broke down Jay Cutlers footwork yesterday? same deal most of his throws come off the back foot why he throws so many picks

it will be many years before if at all he learns the right way how longs Jay been at it and he still hasn't figured it out

And being a Michigan fan means your view will be skewed by your hatred for the Golden Domers

The back foot throws can be corrected, and 90% is a HUGE over exaggeration, especially if you look at his junior year. He did a much better job of stepping up and using better footwork though it still needs work.

Every QB coming out has some aspect of his game that will need to be refined, it's quite normal. If the backfoot issue was such a big deal Gruden would have spent more time working on that when they did the ESPN segment, just as the media would have made a bigger deal when breaking him down pre-draft.

If Clausen sits for a few years and learns the game and the correct way to play it then sure he's got a shot but don't make it sound like he would step into a team from day one and be a top QB

very first pass rolls out has all the daylight in the world to step up and throw and lets it fly off his back foot

even when he's got a good pocket he likes to dive out of his passes and use all arm that's not a good sign

I never said he could step in from day 1 and be a top QB nor do I think I implied that.

And on that pass while he could have stopped and planted and thrown it with proper technique/footwork, but the window to hit a wide open Tate would have not been a lot smaller/tighter to throw into, he threw it because his receiver is wide open with room to run after the catch and wanted to get the ball in his hands.

you said you would rather have Clausen than Smith right what sense does that make? how would that help the 9ers to have Clausen ridding the pine for the next 2-3 years?

and I wasn't just taking about the first pass although I found it funny you see it throughout the entire vid

2- I never said I would rather have Clausen over Smith, I said it should be welcomed by 49er fans to have Clausen considering what Smith has done to date. Clausen doesn't need 2-3 years to sit, that's crazy talk. He may need a year on the bench, but after that it becomes time to let him truly compete for the starting job.

I think you are making a mountain out of a molehill with his backfoot throws...watch Bradford at the 30 second mark and again at the 3:50 mark

Clausen does a good job of setting his feet when in the pocket, but could he do a better job and will his QB coach in Carolina ride his ass about doing a better job while in the pocket ? Yes and you betcha, but that doesn't mean he needs 2-3 years on the bench. Let's not get carried away.

Again every QB has flaws coming out and those get ironed out or attempted to at least, and that's what they will do with Jimmy down in Carolina. Bradford has his flaws, as does Sanchez, as did Stafford and as does Colt McCoy. Just like Alex had his....the list goes on and on. But Clausen is much more refined coming out than Alex Smith was and has a much smaller learning curve.

cause Alex was the youngest QB ever drafted and had no business being drafted or playing

that was then he's now a 5 year vet that has seen more than Clausen has sniffed

so again Clausen now can't hold Smith's jock so I don't really know what we're talking about
Clausen will suck in the NFL.
  • evil
  • Veteran

cause Alex was the youngest QB ever drafted and had no business being drafted or playing

so again Clausen now can't hold Smith's jock so I don't really know what we're talking about

Alex Smith has yet to hold his own jock. 5 years and little productivity.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Clausen will suck in the NFL.

You sure convinced me with that powerful and compelling argument.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

yeah I guess 18 TD's passes in 10.5 games sucks ass

• evil
  • Veteran

From a spread style offense, one which we likely won't see much of, at least early on. Alex has to prove he can be an effective and consistent QB from under center, not just from taking snaps in the shotgun.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

From a spread style offense, one which we likely won't see much of, at least early on. Alex has to prove he can be an effective and consistent QB from under center, not just from taking snaps in the shotgun.

Must you complain about everything? Being a little nitpicky are we? I don’t give a flying monkey turd what kind of offense they run as long as they win games. It could be the Wild Wish Bone for all I care. Win games win the division and make the playoffs that’s A Smitty’s goal.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Must you complain about everything? Being a little nitpicky are we? I don’t give a flying monkey turd what kind of offense they run as long as they win games. It could be the Wild Wish Bone for all I care. Win games win the division and make the playoffs that’s A Smitty’s goal.

It's not a complaint or being a nitpicker, it's fact. And the offense we run is key, Alex was effective in college in a spread and also proved to be effective in a spread last year, but to date in the NFL when operating a more conventional offense mostly from under center be it the WCO or the Coryell offense he has had his share of struggles, thus he has much to prove still.

I wish that Sing/Raye would have pushed forward with the spread style attack which play to Alex's strengths and which proved effective last year, but Sing is insistent on being a more balanced offense with a focus on the power run game. I think to date that is his mistake, not trying to adapt to his QB's strengths and putting Smith in a better position to succeed. I hope Raye's offense can work and Smith can play well but I have been given little reason for hope that it will. The time for Alexcuses is behind us.

Yes, Alex is better in the shotgun than under center. But isn't that a failing of our OC's to not put him in a situation to win? Would Clausen succeed if we drafted him to be our wildcat QB? As you said, its the most important position on the field and we ignore the blatant fact that he is better out of the shotgun. Forcing a QB into the wrong system is one of the biggest causes of busting, imo.

Also, why is it such a given that Clausen would be given years to wait, learn and mature while Smith is labeled a bust since he wasn't successful as a 21 year old rookie? Smith is currently being given a second chance, which is very rare for first round QB's. Carolina definitely won't have the patience to give him years to develop.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nannite:
Yes, Alex is better in the shotgun than under center. But isn't that a failing of our OC's to not put him in a situation to win? Would Clausen succeed if we drafted him to be our wildcat QB? As you said, its the most important position on the field and we ignore the blatant fact that he is better out of the shotgun. Forcing a QB into the wrong system is one of the biggest causes of busting, imo.

Also, why is it such a given that Clausen would be given years to wait, learn and mature while Smith is labeled a bust since he wasn't successful as a 21 year old rookie? Smith is currently being given a second chance, which is very rare for first round QB's. Carolina definitely won't have the patience to give him years to develop.

That's a failing of the head coach at the end of the day, possibly the OC as well. But we don't know if the OC pushed the HC to stick with what worked or not. But we do know the HC did not want to run Martz's system and the system he wanted has failed to date.

At most Clausen gets one year in Carolina. All that depends on how well Matt Moore performs this year. I think Moore's leash won't be very long, and Clausen could play at some point this year. To date the reports coming out of OTA's and minicamps are positive on Clausen but that doesn't mean a whole lot, he still has a long road ahead of him, he's being made to pay his dues and is the #3 QB.

Bottom line is Clausen is a Carolina Panther, not a San Francisco 49er. Some of you can continue to cling onto his sack as if he were the next Joe Montana, but I'm glad he's not a 49er. the end.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Bottom line is Clausen is a Carolina Panther, not a San Francisco 49er. Some of you can continue to cling onto his sack as if he were the next Joe Montana, but I'm glad he's not a 49er. the end.

FWIW no one claimed him to be the next Joe Montana nor do we cling to his sack as such, but he definitely has a chance to be a franchise QB. Some of us actually watch college football religiously and can root for players who aren't on our favorite pro teams.

And out of curiosity how exactly do you know he is not the next Joe Montana ?
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

FWIW no one claimed him to be the next Joe Montana nor do we cling to his sack as such, but he definitely has a chance to be a franchise QB. Some of us actually watch college football religiously and can root for players who aren't on our favorite pro teams.

Stop this insanity cause you know what?

Tom Brady’s a free agent next year!

• evil
  • Veteran

Stop this insanity cause you know what?

Michael Vick’s a free agent next year!

Fixed.
Share 49ersWebzone