There are 160 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Baalke's One Draft Mistake ...

Giving away our 4th rounder to move up two spots for Davis really hurt. By all accounts I read and watched, there was no one that thought this was necessary. Sing said they were worried about Dallas trading in front of us to get Davis, but it was pretty evident that Dallas was in love with Dez Bryant, and that's the only player they would have traded up for if they felt it was necessary. The other two trade-up teams mentioned were Green Bay and San Diego, but Green Bay was rumored to want to trade in front of us to get Bulaga, who instead fell to them anyway without having to give up a pick. And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews, so I don't understand why we got so trigger happy to have to move up two spots? Davis is thought of as a "boom or bust" tackle, so there were some teams were intentionally staying away from him. There were a lot of pretty decent CB's still left in the middle of the 4th round. If we pick up someone like Perrish Cox with that pick, this would have been a perfect draft in my book. But I give a lot of props to Baalke for getting the players that he did, and adding guys like Ginn, Vann and Leblount. I think our return game should be much improved, and hopefully that improved field position willl turn into points and wins.
  • yummy12
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Giving away our 4th rounder to move up two spots for Davis really hurt. By all accounts I read and watched, there was no one that thought this was necessary. Sing said they were worried about Dallas trading in front of us to get Davis, but it was pretty evident that Dallas was in love with Dez Bryant, and that's the only player they would have traded up for if they felt it was necessary. The other two trade-up teams mentioned were Green Bay and San Diego, but Green Bay was rumored to want to trade in front of us to get Bulaga, who instead fell to them anyway without having to give up a pick. And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews, so I don't understand why we got so trigger happy to have to move up two spots? Davis is thought of as a "boom or bust" tackle, so there were some teams were intentionally staying away from him. There were a lot of pretty decent CB's still left in the middle of the 4th round. If we pick up someone like Perrish Cox with that pick, this would have been a perfect draft in my book. But I give a lot of props to Baalke for getting the players that he did, and adding guys like Ginn, Vann and Leblount. I think our return game should be much improved, and hopefully that improved field position willl turn into points and wins.

Let it go...geez! Some of you whine about that way to much...
ehh

No one can know what would have happened for certain.

All I know is that we got our guy and that's all that matters at this point.
I understand the reasoning for trading up.....but it still sucks that we didn't have a 4th rounder. I would have traded a future 4th and one of our 6ths to trade up into the 4th.

It suks that Aaron Hernandez was taken in that spot. He was actually someone I would've liked to take...imagine having both Davis and Hernandez on the field at the same time with Crabtree and Morgan/Ginn lined up at wideout. Imagine the matchup problems that would've created?

Also Ricky Sapp would've been available at the bottom of the 4th, as was A-O-A, a speedy small school cornerback that had a lot of potential.

I understand the reasoning for trading the 4th, but we missed out on some good players and what bothers me even more is that we didn't trade up to the 4th instead sitting on our picks.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Please be carefull I don't want you to get banned. Cause youre profile picture brings me great joy

NFL Access disagrees with you, they rated the 49ers one of the three best drafts.

No one has any idea if someone was going to trade up. Pretending to know otherwise is foolish.
No one will ever know if they had to trade up or not...the FO got the guy they had targeted all along....no one liked to use the 4th rounder to move up , but oh well. if they had not got Davis, now that would have been their big mistake.
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM ]
  • bret
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 800 for bret.
You may think you know - in retrospect - what teams like Dallas and Green Bay were thinking, but you really can't know. We DO know that the Niners didn't like Bulaga enough to be satisfied if he was what was left, and we also know in retrospect that both Denver and Miami were willing (and at least in the case of Denver looking) to move their picks.

I would be more upset to be a Jacksonville fan and find out we had an offer to trade back 3 slots and pick up an extra pick and we passed and took a guy projected to go 15 to 30 picks later! (Commentators kept making the excuse for them "well, maybe they didn't have a trading partner", but Baalke said in his press conference that he tried to trade with them.)

There's always talk about "best player" vs. "need", so when you have two players rated among the best overall on your board AND they're at a position of need, when one of them (Trent Williams) goes off the board, it's smart to start looking at options to ensure you get your guy! Last year the Niner's didn't trade up in the 2nd round, and when the last guy they had targeted got picked a couple picks ahead of them, they were left with little choice but to trade out or not get value. How many of you would hav liked getting Rey Maualuga? Of course, to me, it's better that we traded and got Mike Iupati!
And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews

I have no idea how this affects anything. SD had not yet traded down when Baalke made his trade.
Jerry Jones said in his interview during the draft today (NFL Network) that they were targeting three players to move up for, with Tackle being the first they missed out on.
Don't worry, we have 2 fourths for next year. Baalke made up for it.