Baalke's One Draft Mistake ...

49ers' 4th round selections under McCloughan/Nolan:

2009: [Traded w/ 2nd overall pick to Panthers, which landed Iupati at #17]
2008: Cody Wallace
2007: Dashon Goldson
2007: Jay Moore
2006: Michael Robinson
2005: [Traded up with Philadelphia to land Adam Snyder at #94]

Like any team, landing a potential (starting) talent in the 4th is 50/50. -But wow... Nolan was just f**king horrible at drafting/developing linemen properly.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I thought it was a mistake too at first, but after seeing his interviews, I'm glad we moved up to get him. Remember history has it, that the past 11th picked player has always made an impact on his team, Willis was drafted where...that's right number 11 baby!!!!
I cant say it was a mistake. What if Denver or Miami traded their pick to someone which wanted to draft Davis? Both teams did trade down, so saying trading up was a mistake, I dont really think it was.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Dallas would not have traded up to get Davis. They had him as a third rounder.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2010/4/25/1443041/cowboys-draft-board-leaked
Originally posted by jame-gumb:

Very funny.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
It's not a joke. I live in Dallas and they've been talking about it since the draft.
It's not a joke. I live in Dallas and they've been talking about it since the draft.

They can rate him how they want. This may even be a serious photograph for all I know. But I didn't see anyone dropping him out of the first prior to the draft, did you?

I don't think I give that sort of blog any credence.

To nail this one, there were several other teams who could have very cheerfully traded up and taken him.

Sounds like their scouting dept. isn't very smart then.
  • jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
The point is that the people who were claiming that Dallas might have traded up for him are wrong. That picture is real whether you think it is or not. The same thing happened in 2007.

When pick No. 11 came up, two OTs were on the board. Of course, teams might have traded up for them (Dallas wasn't one of them), but I thought it was a dumb move then and still do. I don't care if we ended up getting another 4th. Baalke panicked and the move shows inexperience.

Worst case scenario if they stay at No. 13 is that Davis is gone and they can take Bulaga.
The point is that the people who were claiming that Dallas might have traded up for him are wrong. That picture is real whether you think it is or not. The same thing happened in 2007.

When pick No. 11 came up, two OTs were on the board. Of course, teams might have traded up for them (Dallas wasn't one of them), but I thought it was a dumb move then and still do. I don't care if we ended up getting another 4th. Baalke panicked and the move shows inexperience.

Worst case scenario if they stay at No. 13 is that Davis is gone and they can take Bulaga.

Your opinion. They - and others - clearly see Bulaga as a significant downgrade on Davis. There were two slots where teams could and did trade up. Offensive tackles are amongst the most sought after early picks. Various teams have a need at that position.

All of which means that it would have been dumb not to have traded up,

• jame-gumb
  • Info N/A
Of course it's my opinion. The majority of this thread is opinion. I posted here because people were saying Dallas might have traded up for him, when that's simply not true.

It only would have been dumb to not trade up if Anthony Davis were gone at No. 13. Most people seem to think he wouldn't have been, myself included.
Of course it's my opinion. The majority of this thread is opinion. I posted here because people were saying Dallas might have traded up for him, when that's simply not true.

It only would have been dumb to not trade up if Anthony Davis were gone at No. 13. Most people seem to think he wouldn't have been, myself included.

This is my opinion, but I think if we traded down with Philly Davis would still be on the board. There just wasn't a market for tackles and Pittsburgh is the only team I could conceive taking him. Forget the trade up scenario. Nobody was trading up for Davis. Philly and San Diego were actively trying to trade up and Singletary didn't want to take the chance on missing out on his guy. Considering that we traded a 4th rounder this year for a 4th rounder next year we really didn't lose too much.

[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 29, 2010 at 11:33:32 ]
Originally posted by yummy12:
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Giving away our 4th rounder to move up two spots for Davis really hurt. By all accounts I read and watched, there was no one that thought this was necessary. Sing said they were worried about Dallas trading in front of us to get Davis, but it was pretty evident that Dallas was in love with Dez Bryant, and that's the only player they would have traded up for if they felt it was necessary. The other two trade-up teams mentioned were Green Bay and San Diego, but Green Bay was rumored to want to trade in front of us to get Bulaga, who instead fell to them anyway without having to give up a pick. And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews, so I don't understand why we got so trigger happy to have to move up two spots? Davis is thought of as a "boom or bust" tackle, so there were some teams were intentionally staying away from him. There were a lot of pretty decent CB's still left in the middle of the 4th round. If we pick up someone like Perrish Cox with that pick, this would have been a perfect draft in my book. But I give a lot of props to Baalke for getting the players that he did, and adding guys like Ginn, Vann and Leblount. I think our return game should be much improved, and hopefully that improved field position willl turn into points and wins.

Let it go...geez! Some of you whine about that way to much...

Agreed
The "Boys" wanted Davis, but what were they gonna do, start whining that the niners took their favorite player and screwed up their whole draft. No they just took their #2 or#3 rated player on their board and patted themselves on the back.
Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Giving away our 4th rounder to move up two spots for Davis really hurt. By all accounts I read and watched, there was no one that thought this was necessary. Sing said they were worried about Dallas trading in front of us to get Davis, but it was pretty evident that Dallas was in love with Dez Bryant, and that's the only player they would have traded up for if they felt it was necessary. The other two trade-up teams mentioned were Green Bay and San Diego, but Green Bay was rumored to want to trade in front of us to get Bulaga, who instead fell to them anyway without having to give up a pick. And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews, so I don't understand why we got so trigger happy to have to move up two spots? Davis is thought of as a "boom or bust" tackle, so there were some teams were intentionally staying away from him. There were a lot of pretty decent CB's still left in the middle of the 4th round. If we pick up someone like Perrish Cox with that pick, this would have been a perfect draft in my book. But I give a lot of props to Baalke for getting the players that he did, and adding guys like Ginn, Vann and Leblount. I think our return game should be much improved, and hopefully that improved field position willl turn into points and wins.

if anthony davis is our starting right tackle for the next 10 years then it would have been the correct move. the point is the wanted this kid badly so they took there shot. im cool with it
Share 49ersWebzone