LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Baalke's One Draft Mistake ...

Originally posted by 49erfanatic:
Giving away our 4th rounder to move up two spots for Davis really hurt. By all accounts I read and watched, there was no one that thought this was necessary. Sing said they were worried about Dallas trading in front of us to get Davis, but it was pretty evident that Dallas was in love with Dez Bryant, and that's the only player they would have traded up for if they felt it was necessary. The other two trade-up teams mentioned were Green Bay and San Diego, but Green Bay was rumored to want to trade in front of us to get Bulaga, who instead fell to them anyway without having to give up a pick. And it was also well documented that San Diego wanted RB Ryan Matthews, so I don't understand why we got so trigger happy to have to move up two spots? Davis is thought of as a "boom or bust" tackle, so there were some teams were intentionally staying away from him. There were a lot of pretty decent CB's still left in the middle of the 4th round. If we pick up someone like Perrish Cox with that pick, this would have been a perfect draft in my book. But I give a lot of props to Baalke for getting the players that he did, and adding guys like Ginn, Vann and Leblount. I think our return game should be much improved, and hopefully that improved field position willl turn into points and wins.

Fundamentally you are correct. But we were so f'ing DESPERATE for a tackle that our need trumped the extra 4th. McClown had only drafted ONE tackle in 5 years, so we HAD to have the tackle. If AD is great, it's a great trade.

The team with #11 was trading out of that pick. Which meant anybody could trade into that pick. Therefore if we wanted Anthony Davis who was one of the highest rated players available at a position of need we had to trade up for him to get him. Anybody could of traded ahead of us to get him if we didn't. And giving up a 4th is not much. You don't always get a star in the 4th round. The trade was fine. It's over exaggerated on this board how bad that move was.
Originally posted by Dblj55:
Jerry Jones said in his interview during the draft today (NFL Network) that they were targeting three players to move up for, with Tackle being the first they missed out on.

o yeah jerry would trade up for a tackle i'm sure he was working the phones and trying to get infront of us for that reason, jerry's the kind of owner that has no problem going after what he wants in order to keep his team in the race. guys people are throwing 5th rounders for all pro wr's. i think a 4th rounder has a low rate to make a team anyways and with all the 6th's rounders who cares!

[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Apr 25, 2010 at 21:58:27 ]
Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Get over it!
I think his only mistake was not trading up to get Nate Allen. I actually liked that he traded up to get Anthony Davis, it shows that he is willing to do whatever is needed to get players that he percieves to be winners.
They were really high on Davis. Baalke said earlier that if Davis was anywhere near their pick they were going to trade up and get him.

Makes me wonder how high was Davis on other team's draft board? He was the #2 OT in the draft until a month or 2 ago when reports came out that he was lazy and not motivated but Bryan Bulaga was rated the 3rd highest OT and a lot of teams passed him up. Just go to show you that the rankings we have access to by all of these "experts" don't me a damn thing.

I'm thinking Davis was the 2nd or 3rd highest rated OT in the draft and thats why we moved up.
  • michaelr2416
  • Info N/A
WOW YOU MUST HAVE OTHER THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT, DONT U?
BOTTOM LINE... The 49ers wanted to make sure they got their guy!
Originally posted by miked1978:
They were really high on Davis. Baalke said earlier that if Davis was anywhere near their pick they were going to trade up and get him.

Makes me wonder how high was Davis on other team's draft board? He was the #2 OT in the draft until a month or 2 ago when reports came out that he was lazy and not motivated but Bryan Bulaga was rated the 3rd highest OT and a lot of teams passed him up. Just go to show you that the rankings we have access to by all of these "experts" don't me a damn thing.

I'm thinking Davis was the 2nd or 3rd highest rated OT in the draft and thats why we moved up.

I heard that Trent Williams was the only other tackle we had interest in. It really comes down to the system that you run. If your a team that prefers a mauler obviously Davis is going to higher on your list. If you want your lineman to be lighter than you're going to be more concerned about Davis weight issues.

Pittsburgh and Dallas were the only 2 teams we needed to be worried about trading up so I do think we wasted a 4th rounder. That being said if Davis ends being our future RT nobody's going to care about a relatively worthless 4th round pick.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Don't worry, we have 2 fourths for next year. Baalke made up for it.

Exactly.

Originally posted by michaelr2416:

Now is that what you really wanted to say with your very first post here at the zone?

Just kidding michaelr, welcome aboard!
Originally posted by tjd808185:

I heard that Trent Williams was the only other tackle we had interest in. It really comes down to the system that you run. If your a team that prefers a mauler obviously Davis is going to higher on your list. If you want your lineman to be lighter than you're going to be more concerned about Davis weight issues.

Pittsburgh and Dallas were the only 2 teams we needed to be worried about trading up so I do think we wasted a 4th rounder. That being said if Davis ends being our future RT nobody's going to care about a relatively worthless 4th round pick.

You lost me. If Dallas and Pittsburgh were also potentially after him, what was to stop either of them trading up to get ahead of us?

We didn't trade up and missed Nate Allen and the zone marks that as a mistake. We do trade up and avoid losing Davis, by some recogning the last of the top flight tackles - the position of optimal need - and the zone marks that as a mistake.

No pleasing some people.
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Originally posted by michaelr2416:

Now is that what you really wanted to say with your very first post here at the zone?

Just kidding michaelr, welcome aboard!

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

You lost me. If Dallas and Pittsburgh were also potentially after him, what was to stop either of them trading up to get ahead of us?

We didn't trade up and missed Nate Allen and the zone marks that as a mistake. We do trade up and avoid losing Davis, by some recogning the last of the top flight tackles - the position of optimal need - and the zone marks that as a mistake.

No pleasing some people.

Seriously. I was confused when we first did the trade but Baalke made a great point that teams were looking to move up and get Davis. Better to be safe than sorry
we make that trade 100 times out of 100
Share 49ersWebzone