There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft Spiller and then trade Gore to the Chargers

I love Frank Gore, to a ridiculous degree even, but the biggest flaw in Zone thinking is that he is going to play forever.

I wouldn't do this trade, but the idea of trading Gore while he still has value isn't nearly as crazy as some make it seem. The harsh reality is the shelf life of running backs is fleeting.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I love Frank Gore, to a ridiculous degree even, but the biggest flaw in Zone thinking is that he is going to play forever.

I wouldn't do this trade, but the idea of trading Gore while he still has value isn't nearly as crazy as some make it seem. The harsh reality is the shelf life of running backs is fleeting.

It is but he is still good right now. And there is no guarantee we can find somebody just as good to fill his position.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
spiller is the f**king most overrated player on this board probally ever he isnt top 15 talent maybe top 20 but i can easily name 15 players better than him in this draft if he came out last year i dont even think he would be drafted over beanie wells and last year was an even weaker RB class

Return value makes him a top 15 talent. He isnt the most overrated on the board almost everyone has him as a top 15 prospect. Are you a South Carolina grad and have something against Clemson?
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
spiller is the f**king most overrated player on this board probally ever he isnt top 15 talent maybe top 20 but i can easily name 15 players better than him in this draft if he came out last year i dont even think he would be drafted over beanie wells and last year was an even weaker RB class

Return value makes him a top 15 talent. He isnt the most overrated on the board almost everyone has him as a top 15 prospect. Are you a South Carolina grad and have something against Clemson?

lol im a senior in high school i dont have anything against him i just dont think getting him with a 13 overall is a good idea with our needs in OL (bottom 5 in nfl for sure) if i was 100% sure an OT will make it to 17 i wouldnt mind but im sure GB is gonna trade up and get one and getting an OT should be our #1 priority getting a return man (who btw isnt that good of a PR) shouldnt be a first round need and no team is going to draft him and use him as a KR i dont think any KR has been drafted top 15 ever without being a starter which btw he wont be he has to split carries
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Mar 6, 2010 at 12:07 PM ]
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,924
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
spiller is the f**king most overrated player on this board probally ever he isnt top 15 talent maybe top 20 but i can easily name 15 players better than him in this draft if he came out last year i dont even think he would be drafted over beanie wells and last year was an even weaker RB class

Return value makes him a top 15 talent. He isnt the most overrated on the board almost everyone has him as a top 15 prospect. Are you a South Carolina grad and have something against Clemson?

He is the most overrated player because if he is a top 15 pick he won't be returning kicks. At least not full time basis. Likely not even limited basis past this year regardless of who drafts him. 2ndly they want to talk about him playing slot WR. He will not be a slot guy in the NFL. He'd likely run the same bubble screens and go routes ALL RB'S run when they split out or motion out wide.

But my point is he won't be Mr. Everything like he's said to be. Plus IMO he's still a stuff, stuff, boom RB like Willie Parker. but that's just me.



EDIT: Haden actually the most overrated
[ Edited by krizay on Mar 6, 2010 at 11:31 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No on trading Gore to the Chargers.

No on trading Gore PERIOD!!!!!!!

Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
Or how bout we draft spiller, use him as a harvin/hester type, and when gore hangs em up, spiller can step in full time?

Do you really see Spiller as an every down back?

But I have to say, this thread is not the brightest. Why would anyone pay a first for Gore, or pretty much any second hand back? Why would we trade a near-Pro Bowl calibre proven commodity to acquire an unproven scat back?

So as it is no for both sides, forget it.

By the time Gore hangs em up, we can figure everything out on the RB position (maybe draft a Thunder to Spiller's lightning), until then Spiller can split some carries with Gore and be our offense's swiss army knife.
Originally posted by krizay:
2ndly they want to talk about him playing slot WR. He will not be a slot guy in the NFL. He'd likely run the same bubble screens and go routes ALL RB'S run when they split out or motion out wide.

I agree he wouldn't be a consistent slot receiver, but it's not a bad idea to line up a guy like Spiller in the slot a few times a game, or motion him out of the backfield. That makes defenses adjust, which is something we've never been able to do with our one-dimensional offense. We don't even have to throw it to Spiller for him to have an impact in those situations. Taking an extra defender or two away from Gore, or away from the pass-rush, or off Crabtree would make the difference.

The catch is we need someone who defenses legitimately believe to be a threat in the slot or out of the backfield. Glen Coffee ain't it.
The reason its dumb is not because we are trading away gore because i would trade him if we get good value but because we got nothing behind him that is proven or effective and much less a rookie who can't carry the load.
How about we draft Spiller and let him split carries with Gore. Then, if it turns out he's the next Chris Johnson, we can talk about trading Gore next season.
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
I love Frank Gore, to a ridiculous degree even, but the biggest flaw in Zone thinking is that he is going to play forever.

I wouldn't do this trade, but the idea of trading Gore while he still has value isn't nearly as crazy as some make it seem. The harsh reality is the shelf life of running backs is fleeting.

In fact, its a very Bill Walsh type of move.
gore might be on his last years but im against the idea of putting all our hopes on spiller. If he doesn't pan out then what??? If we're going to trade gore i'd rather do it for a proven player + draft picks
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
gore might be on his last years but im against the idea of putting all our hopes on spiller. If he doesn't pan out then what??? If we're going to trade gore i'd rather do it for a proven player + draft picks

gores only a 5 year pro
he still has another 5 or 6 ahead of him.
and he would still be pushin 1000+ each year
[ Edited by momoney925 on Mar 6, 2010 at 7:15 PM ]
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by momoney925:
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
gore might be on his last years but im against the idea of putting all our hopes on spiller. If he doesn't pan out then what??? If we're going to trade gore i'd rather do it for a proven player + draft picks

gores only a 5 year pro
he still has another 5 or 6 ahead of him.
and he would still be pushin 1000+ each year

If you think your riding that horse 10'000/YDS in 10 yrs. your crazy! But if he was to share the load, I can see real good yds. during the regular season and deep into the playoffs, for a couple more yrs.