LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 126 users in the forums

Draft Spiller and then trade Gore to the Chargers

Spiller wouldn't last 2 seasons with the type of 'full-time' role Gore has, inside running in college football is NOTHING LIKE THE NFL (and his body size is built for outside running/kick-returning).

Spiller Needs Gore, and Gore needs Spiller for either to succeed on the offense.
I dont like the idea of trading Gore, my whole reason to get Spiller is to prolong Gores success while taking a load off him in the receiving and outside running game where he tends to look uncomfortable. I'd only trade Gore for a Revis , Ed Reed type player. No draft picks for Gore in his prime certainly not to a "Superbowl" contender.
this is a no brainer.....

Hell yes you trade Gore if some one offers a First or a Second and third.....

The 49ers are a SPREAD TEAM right now.....

The 49ers CANT run the offense they need to if they are going to get Gore the carries he needs.

They are AT LEAST 1 to 2 seasons out in a perfect world from Being able ride gore deep in to the playoffs....

by then Gore as an elite back will be done or NEARLY done.

THIS is a bill Walsh Move

ITs better to Drop the guy a YEAR early then a YEAR to late.

There is a REASON why Walsh Got rid of Ronnie Lott Joe Montana Rodger Craig ect..ect....ect......
Originally posted by Dshearn:

The 49ers CANT run the offense they need to if they are going to get Gore the carries he needs.

They are AT LEAST 1 to 2 seasons out in a perfect world from Being able ride gore deep in to the playoffs....

There is a REASON why Walsh Got rid of Ronnie Lott Joe Montana Rodger Craig ect..ect....ect......

Moar spaces
that's dumb as hell
Only good thing about this thread is we finally get to see some Spiller hate instead of everyone on his jock
this thread is fail.

yeah lets deal our pro bowl still in his prime 4 straight 1,000 yd seasons RB away, and draft Darren Sproles Jr.

i would hate to see gore go, i really want him to be the 49ers all time leading rusher, i believe he needs around 2500 or 3000 more yards to catch joe the jet perry
This Spiller love feast has gone too far. YES, I do believe Spiller is talented and YES he could be a great addition to the team. But holly freaking crap people trying saying some of this stuff out loud and you'll see how crazy it sounds. You honestly want to trade our most legit offensive player for a draft pick. WOW!
You're crazy. Until this past season, Gore has been the only playmaker on offense, and behind the most s**ttastic line in football no less. There isn't a RB in the draft that comes close of being capable to match what Gore has done for us.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Spiller wouldn't last 2 seasons with the type of 'full-time' role Gore has, inside running in college football is NOTHING LIKE THE NFL (and his body size is built for outside running/kick-returning).

Spiller Needs Gore, and Gore needs Spiller for either to succeed on the offense.

Gore needs Spiller to succeed? Um, so Frank has failed to succeed so far?
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

No not really at all. The last 4 games we certainly weren't.

Bill Walsh did not get rid of Ronnie Lott, Joe Montana or Roger Craig.

Check the dates.
this is it. wtf is wrong with you NOOB's. leave that crack pipe alone yo.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
spiller is the f**king most overrated player on this board probally ever he isnt top 15 talent maybe top 20 but i can easily name 15 players better than him in this draft if he came out last year i dont even think he would be drafted over beanie wells and last year was an even weaker RB class

Return value makes him a top 15 talent. He isnt the most overrated on the board almost everyone has him as a top 15 prospect. Are you a South Carolina grad and have something against Clemson?

He is the most overrated player because if he is a top 15 pick he won't be returning kicks. At least not full time basis. Likely not even limited basis past this year regardless of who drafts him. 2ndly they want to talk about him playing slot WR. He will not be a slot guy in the NFL. He'd likely run the same bubble screens and go routes ALL RB'S run when they split out or motion out wide.

But my point is he won't be Mr. Everything like he's said to be. Plus IMO he's still a stuff, stuff, boom RB like Willie Parker. but that's just me.

EDIT: Haden actually the most overrated

Although I agree that trading Gore would not be wise; I disagree that a top 15 pick would not be returning kicks/punts full time. Do you know who the #4 pick in the 1992 draft and the 1996 MVP was? Desmond Howard who almost single handedly prevented the Niners from going to the super bowl that year. Splliier offers much more versatility than Howard and may very well prove to be more durable than some think. His play making ability to score 52 TDs and to hold the NCAA record as the only player in the game to score five different ways should not and can not be understated. Especially for a team which ranked dead last in KR/PR.

Some argue that OL is a bigger need and that it was the worst in the NFL despite the stats which proove otherwise. In doing so, they ignore the progress that the OL made through out the year which enabled both Vernon and Gore to join the NFL and Team record books. They also ignore how limited OL blockinbg schemes and putrid QB play contributed; which should be addressed with the new coaches and hopefully, improved QB play. For some reason or another, I believe that many fans who point to the OL as being the NFL's worst and the team biggest need do so as an excuse to justify Smith's lack of performance with the arguement that if you give Smith a better line he will do better. I for one am not convicend of that.

I'm conviced however, that OL talent can be found in later rounds as proven by where the majority of the Superbowl teams' linemen were drafted. I am also conviced that play makers win games and the more that this team has; the less Alex will be needed to produce a victory. I am also convinced that Spiller is the most dynamic playmaker in the draft. I am most convinced that for this team, I would rather make a mistake on him; than to do what the Packers did when they passed on the best playmaker in that draft to acquire Tony Mandrich because they too felt that having the most dynamic playmaker was a luxury and played it safe to draft a can't loose OL.
Share 49ersWebzone