There are 166 users in the forums

Draft Spiller and then trade Gore to the Chargers

^^^^ Desmond Howard is scarcely a ringing enforcement of the idea of drafting a playmaker. He was already on his second or third team by then. Waste of a first rounder for the Skins
Originally posted by English:
^^^^ Desmond Howard is scarcely a ringing enforcement of the idea of drafting a playmaker. He was already on his second or third team by then. Waste of a first rounder for the Skins

As I stated; Spiller is more dynamic than Howard and my mentioning him was to primarily address the statement that a top 15 pick isn't drafted for full-time PR/KR duties. With that said, his Superbowl MVP honor suggest that the skins and others made a mistake as his contribution is historical. I saw what he did to the 49ers and had it not been for him the Niners would have won the NFC championship. They outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball; but Howard was the difference in a tight game. If Spiller matches Howard's accomplishments to make the difference for the Niners getting to and winning the Superbowl, then he would be a draft pick well spent.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:00 AM ]
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:
With Gore, Chargers instantly become a Super Bowl contender. Norv Turner would probably give up a 1st round fore Gore. But let's say we get a 2nd and 3rd and invested them into our lines and back field next season, we become young and a strong contender for years to come. Spiller/Coffee + picks doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. But if we just draft spiller without trading Gore, what do we do with Coffee because he has no value.

If we get a first, then we have 2 firsts again in 2011

Dumb idea.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
With Gore, Chargers instantly become a Super Bowl contender. Norv Turner would probably give up a 1st round fore Gore. But let's say we get a 2nd and 3rd and invested them into our lines and back field next season, we become young and a strong contender for years to come. Spiller/Coffee + picks doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me. But if we just draft spiller without trading Gore, what do we do with Coffee because he has no value.

Get it to your head buddy, Scott McCluless is a total idiot!!!! According to recent articles "49ers not interested on Spiller". If we dont get him, he will end up in seattle... and that spells trouble all the way.... but scotty is a sorry a** idiot and we will end with an 8-8 season again, and a unique 2nd place.

Leave Gore alone, better yet lets send Alex to chargers as a water boy instead.
Originally posted by fly15:

Get it to your head buddy, Scott McCluless is a total idiot!!!! According to recent articles "49ers not interested on Spiller". If we dont get him, he will end up in seattle... and that spells trouble all the way.... but scotty is a sorry a** idiot and we will end with an 8-8 season again, and a unique 2nd place.

first of all seattle wont take spiller if they do that means they still wont have a QB pass rush or an o line their RBs are fine i dont know why every1 thinks they are gonna get spiller when they lack the 3 most important things to win football games
It would be a fine move on McCoughlan's behalf.

You draft Williams, and Spiller and then use one of the 2nd rounders on a guard such as Vlad Duccasse. Yeah we're losing Gore but now we're laying the foundation down for a dominant line and the upscale, fast paced offense that it takes to win in today's NFL.

Now we have our line, we still have a 2nd round pick and 2 3rd round picks to address the defense, and all we have to find is a good complimentary back in the mold of a Pierre Thomas or Mike Bell. Doesn't happen to a Pro Bowler or a house hold name. You just find the right guy for our system.

That being said I doubt San Diego makes this trade. It's the nature of the game. San Diego knows that Gore might only have 1 or 2 seasons left in him. Not sure if they would value at the price.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Mar 7, 2010 at 11:59 AM ]
Originally posted by fly15:

Yeah yeah yeah. Scotty blah blah blah.........
You guys act like I hate Gore. I think he's a top 5 RB and has been for a while. But the thing with RBs is that they decline very quickly. I am just thinking about the future with this move.
Draft Spiller and trade Coffee to the Chargers.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ttime1:

As I stated; Spiller is more dynamic than Howard and my mentioning him was to primarily address the statement that a top 15 pick isn't drafted for full-time PR/KR duties. With that said, his Superbowl MVP honor suggest that the skins and others made a mistake as his contribution is historical. I saw what he did to the 49ers and had it not been for him the Niners would have won the NFC championship. They outplayed the Packers on both sides of the ball; but Howard was the difference in a tight game. If Spiller matches Howard's accomplishments to make the difference for the Niners getting to and winning the Superbowl, then he would be a draft pick well spent.

You had to go all the way back to 92 huh? The mere fact that you can't even use Reggie Bush as an example should tell you something.

Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Draft Spiller and trade Coffee to the Chargers.

Seeing as how we'll get a loss on our investment (I doubt Chargers will deal anything higher than a 3rd), I don't think that this is necessarily a good idea.

-9fA
Originally posted by krizay:

You had to go all the way back to 92 huh? The mere fact that you can't even use Reggie Bush as an example should tell you something.

What it tells me is that we have different views on what winning is about. Less tha 10% of the leauge's players got superbowl rings last season and Bush is was one of them as he contributed despite his injuries. And yes it is true that he may leave the Saints but he is still better than anyone on the Niners. My reference to Howard demonstrates how a PR/KR can be drafted high and play the position full time at a high enough level to earn Superbowl MVP honors.
[ Edited by ttime1 on Mar 7, 2010 at 10:32 PM ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:

What it tells me is that we have different views on what winning is about. Less tha 10% of the leauge's players got superbowl rings last season and Bush is was one of them as he contributed despite his injuries. And yes it is true that he may leave the Saints but he is still better than anyone on the Niners. My reference to Howard demonstrates how a PR/KR can be drafted high and play the position full time at a high enough level to earn Superbowl MVP honors.

You are missing the whole point. Around these parts though, I'm not surprised.
Your insane
Share 49ersWebzone