LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 144 users in the forums

The 2010 NFL Draft- WR Discussion Thread (UPDATED: Post Crabtree Deal)

• jrg
  • Veteran
Remember the last time we drafted a WR from Oklahoma State?

[ Edited by jrg on Oct 4, 2009 at 16:59:24 ]
Originally posted by jrg:

Woods not working out is not indicative that OSU receivers don't translate to the NFL well. There is little to no evidence to support that. Before woods, who was even the last receiver from Oklahoma State selected on day one?

We can't use one man's failure as logic for staying away from a talent like Bryant if we're interested in selecting him.

Example? R. Jay Soward, selected 29th overall out of USC, and Dwayne Jarrett also. Just because he (Soward) was a bust and Jarrett hasn't done anything either, doesn't mean USC produces bust receivers.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Woods not working out is not indicative that OSU receivers don't translate to the NFL well. There is little to no evidence to support that. Before woods, who was even the last receiver from Oklahoma State selected on day one?

We can't use one man's failure as logic for staying away from a talent like Bryant if we're interested in selecting him.

Example? R. Jay Soward, selected 29th overall out of USC, and Dwayne Jarrett also. Just because he (Soward) was a bust and Jarrett hasn't done anything either, doesn't mean USC produces bust receivers.

I agree, but to be fair....What good WRs came out of USC recently? KJ, yes, but that was over a decade ago.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

I agree, but to be fair....What good WRs came out of USC recently? KJ, yes, but that was over a decade ago.

Look no further than New York's Steve Smith. Simply dominating out there.

I realized shortly after posting that. Just didn't get a chance to correct myself before you did. Funny how it's Steve Smith that turns out to be the best of the recent big name WRs from SC.

I realized shortly after posting that. Just didn't get a chance to correct myself before you did. Funny how it's Steve Smith that turns out to be the best of the recent big name WRs from SC.
USC always puts out playmakers but if s**t Tree signs then we dont need a WR we NEED LINEMAN both sides and a cornerback depending on what position is best available with our first pick.
Originally posted by Thrash88:
USC always puts out playmakers but if s**t Tree signs then we dont need a WR we NEED LINEMAN both sides and a cornerback depending on what position is best available with our first pick.

The CB class this year isn't the best and with Clements and Spencer actually playing well we may not go after one. Granted its still early but at this point I don't see one being drafted in the first 3 rounds. You are right on lineman though, I can see a ROT and OG being drafted this year. But......if Snee hits the FA market, I think we go after him.
I actually heard that this will be one of the deepest drafts because alot of extra junior stars will be coming out a year early due to the end of the salary cap and the start of set rookie pay?
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
No thanks to another first round receiver.

id still like to draft eric decker

crabtree - Morgan - decker

Originally posted by ads_2006:
id still like to draft eric decker

crabtree - Morgan - decker

That would be pretty sick. If we can't get Decker, though, I'd like to see a pure burner. Of course, Jason Hill struck me as a nice third receiver last season, but he's apparently sacrificed kittens in Singletary's back yard this year.
I think if we sign Crabtree, we won't be drafting any WRs in this draft.

Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, and Hill (if they let him play) should be enough.
Originally posted by YourHuckleberry:
I think if we sign Crabtree, we won't be drafting any WRs in this draft.

Crabtree, Morgan, Jones, and Hill (if they let him play) should be enough.

If Crabs comes in Spurlock will probably get cut, which leaves us with:

Morgan
Bruce
Jones
Hill
Battle
Crabs

Theres a decent chance both Bruce and Battle wont be back next year, that leaves us with only 4 WR's going into 2011. That not enough guys, if both go, look for another WR to be drafted. Also Rossum will probably be gone which leaves us with no PR/KR. I would bet we go after another WR/PR in Rnd 2- Rnd 4.
The SR class of WR is very weak, only LaFell and Gilyard are 1st round talent. JR Class is loaded though. I listed all the guys I think will go in the first 3 rounds.

I put A.J. Green in there, because I think he may be the WR in all of college football even though he is just a Sophmore.

My rankings as of now:

1. Dez Bryant, OKlahoma State*
2. A.J. Green, Georgia** - Only a Sophmore, but he will be a top 5 pick when he comes out
3. Brandon LaFell, LSU
4. Mardy Gilyard, Cincinnati
5. Golden Tate, Notre Dame* -
6. Arrellious Benn, Illinois* - Potential to move up to #1, but his hands are holding him back. Too often he body catches.
7. Mike Williams, Syracuse*
8. Dezmon Briscoe, Kansas*
9. Damian Williams, USC*
10. Jacoby Ford, Clemson
11. Eric Decker, Minnesota
12. Jeremy Williams, Tulane
13. Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech*
14. Danario Alexander, Mizzou
15. Jordan Shipley, Texas
16. Armanti Edwards, App State

* - Junior
** - Sophmore