49ers outslug Broncos, ride late George Kittle touchdown to gritty 24-14 win →

There are 549 users in the forums

Eric Berry or Taylor Mays?

Browse 49ers books and videos

Eric Berry or Taylor Mays?

  • volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Berry only has one interception this year. He'splaying well but maybe he's not quite the ballhawk we've all made him out to be.

One guy I've got my eye on is Morgan Bennett out of Georgia Tech. He's got 3 interceptions on the year and 7 last year. Anyone who's watched him have any opinion on him? I'm very intrigued by him and I think he's a better suit for our free safety position.

You can't be this stupid can you? He's been playing all over the field this year lining up at S, CB, LB and is dominating. Yes he hasn't had the INT's but people are staying away from him. Monte Kiffin one of the best if not best DC's ever said he's the best player he's ever coached.

He's a very good player no doubt.

But as a pure ballhawk I'm not sure he's the best out there. We have plenty of hard-hitting run stuffers, we need a ballhawk.

If he declares he could maybe be had at our second first rounder and we could get someone like Dez Bryant instead.

No need to blow your load at me though....I'm sorry that I don't have time to watch every Tennessee game out there.

So basically you're saying you don't have time to watch every game and someone called you out for your BS opinion on something you have no clue about and are conceding that in fact you are wrong? Cool, I agree. He is the definition of a ball hawk how can you overlook him leading the NCAA in INT's last year and return yards and then complain about his numbers of INT's this year? THe logic or lack there of is giving me a headache. Berry is playing a load of different postions and teams aren't trowing at him, he picked off Tebow which is basically impossible to do has 5 tackles for loss, leads the team in tackles what more do you want? Not a ballwhawk, crazy.
  • volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I watched the Tennessee game this Sat and Berry didn't stand out at all.

Going to set you up an appointment with the optometrist IMO. He had a bad game for his standards but still have a few TFL, 10 plus tackels and wasn't thrown at. Basicallly he was involved in every play.
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Berry only has one interception this year. He'splaying well but maybe he's not quite the ballhawk we've all made him out to be.

One guy I've got my eye on is Morgan Bennett out of Georgia Tech. He's got 3 interceptions on the year and 7 last year. Anyone who's watched him have any opinion on him? I'm very intrigued by him and I think he's a better suit for our free safety position.

You can't be this stupid can you? He's been playing all over the field this year lining up at S, CB, LB and is dominating. Yes he hasn't had the INT's but people are staying away from him. Monte Kiffin one of the best if not best DC's ever said he's the best player he's ever coached.

He's a very good player no doubt.

But as a pure ballhawk I'm not sure he's the best out there. We have plenty of hard-hitting run stuffers, we need a ballhawk.

If he declares he could maybe be had at our second first rounder and we could get someone like Dez Bryant instead.

No need to blow your load at me though....I'm sorry that I don't have time to watch every Tennessee game out there.

So basically you're saying you don't have time to watch every game and someone called you out for your BS opinion on something you have no clue about and are conceding that in fact you are wrong? Cool, I agree. He is the definition of a ball hawk how can you overlook him leading the NCAA in INT's last year and return yards and then complain about his numbers of INT's this year? THe logic or lack there of is giving me a headache. Berry is playing a load of different postions and teams aren't trowing at him, he picked off Tebow which is basically impossible to do has 5 tackles for loss, leads the team in tackles what more do you want? Not a ballwhawk, crazy.

You need to stop insulting other posters. Not everyone can watch every game. They still can have their own opinions without you jumping on their backs. My advice to you is to relax if you want to continue being a member of the webzone.
Originally posted by crzy:
Berry is better than Mays, but it's really win-win with either of them.

huh? why ur saying berry is better than Mays? come on silly.. I like Mays cuz he is very good to tackle and that he can hit hard make Wr would fear cuz they don't want to hurt it that why. I love Mays but wait and see till finnish whole season.. Berry is good around defense and sometime hit hard. I think, Mays may simlair to Troy Polamalu.. I love Troy Polamalu cuz he is very good to read the defense quick a time and awesome blitz and can hit hard too.. wow.. i wish, Troy Polamalu can became a 49ers team..

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Oct 5, 2009 at 16:00:46 ]
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crzy:
Berry is better than Mays, but it's really win-win with either of them.

huh? why ur saying berry is better than Mays? come on silly.. I like Mays cuz he is awesome that he can hit hard make Wr would fear cuz they don't want to hurt it that why. I love Mays but wait and see till finnish whole season.. Berry is good around defense and sometime hit hard. I think, Mays may simlair to Troy Polamalu.. I love Troy Polamalu cuz he is very good to read the defense quick a time and awesome blitz and can hit hard too.. wow.. i wish, Troy Polamalu can became a 49ers..

Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I watched the Tennessee game this Sat and Berry didn't stand out at all.

Going to set you up an appointment with the optometrist IMO. He had a bad game for his standards but still have a few TFL, 10 plus tackels and wasn't thrown at. Basicallly he was involved in every play.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
I watched the Tennessee game this Sat and Berry didn't stand out at all.

Going to set you up an appointment with the optometrist IMO. He had a bad game for his standards but still have a few TFL, 10 plus tackels and wasn't thrown at. Basicallly he was involved in every play.


Damn, I am a jerk! Should of checked the stats. I only got to see the end of the second quarter and parts of the rest of the game.
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
i want an o lineman

After our first 4 games, I agree with you. We need upgrade at RT and LG especially.
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Berry only has one interception this year. He'splaying well but maybe he's not quite the ballhawk we've all made him out to be.

One guy I've got my eye on is Morgan Bennett out of Georgia Tech. He's got 3 interceptions on the year and 7 last year. Anyone who's watched him have any opinion on him? I'm very intrigued by him and I think he's a better suit for our free safety position.

You can't be this stupid can you? He's been playing all over the field this year lining up at S, CB, LB and is dominating. Yes he hasn't had the INT's but people are staying away from him. Monte Kiffin one of the best if not best DC's ever said he's the best player he's ever coached.

He's a very good player no doubt.

But as a pure ballhawk I'm not sure he's the best out there. We have plenty of hard-hitting run stuffers, we need a ballhawk.

If he declares he could maybe be had at our second first rounder and we could get someone like Dez Bryant instead.

No need to blow your load at me though....I'm sorry that I don't have time to watch every Tennessee game out there.

So basically you're saying you don't have time to watch every game and someone called you out for your BS opinion on something you have no clue about and are conceding that in fact you are wrong? Cool, I agree. He is the definition of a ball hawk how can you overlook him leading the NCAA in INT's last year and return yards and then complain about his numbers of INT's this year? THe logic or lack there of is giving me a headache. Berry is playing a load of different postions and teams aren't trowing at him, he picked off Tebow which is basically impossible to do has 5 tackles for loss, leads the team in tackles what more do you want? Not a ballwhawk, crazy.

You need to calm the f*ck down. I have better stuff to do than watch all the football games of some mediocre SEC school.

As I can see from your user name you do watch all the games, which is good. Maybe instead of telling me how stupid I am you could nicely tell me a different opinion since you watch him on a weekly basis.

I never said he sucked. I was just bringing up a guy I liked who had just as many interceptions and almost as many tackles for losses as Berry last year who was doing better stats wise than Berry in terms of interceptions. All I said was that Berry was the all around better player but Burnett may be the better ball hawk. Thank you for correcting me.

Honestly I don't know why I'm even bothering replying to someone who's bent on trying to make people look like idiots.

[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Oct 5, 2009 at 15:06:18 ]
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Berry only has one interception this year. He'splaying well but maybe he's not quite the ballhawk we've all made him out to be.

One guy I've got my eye on is Morgan Bennett out of Georgia Tech. He's got 3 interceptions on the year and 7 last year. Anyone who's watched him have any opinion on him? I'm very intrigued by him and I think he's a better suit for our free safety position.

You can't be this stupid can you? He's been playing all over the field this year lining up at S, CB, LB and is dominating. Yes he hasn't had the INT's but people are staying away from him. Monte Kiffin one of the best if not best DC's ever said he's the best player he's ever coached.

He's a very good player no doubt.

But as a pure ballhawk I'm not sure he's the best out there. We have plenty of hard-hitting run stuffers, we need a ballhawk.

If he declares he could maybe be had at our second first rounder and we could get someone like Dez Bryant instead.

No need to blow your load at me though....I'm sorry that I don't have time to watch every Tennessee game out there.

So basically you're saying you don't have time to watch every game and someone called you out for your BS opinion on something you have no clue about and are conceding that in fact you are wrong? Cool, I agree. He is the definition of a ball hawk how can you overlook him leading the NCAA in INT's last year and return yards and then complain about his numbers of INT's this year? THe logic or lack there of is giving me a headache. Berry is playing a load of different postions and teams aren't trowing at him, he picked off Tebow which is basically impossible to do has 5 tackles for loss, leads the team in tackles what more do you want? Not a ballwhawk, crazy.

You need to calm the f*ck down. I have better stuff to do than watch all the football games of some mediocre SEC school.

As I can see from your user name you do watch all the games, which is good. Maybe instead of telling me how stupid I am you could nicely tell me a different opinion since you watch him on a weekly basis.

I never said he sucked. I was just bringing up a guy I liked who had just as many interceptions and almost as many tackles for losses as Berry last year who was doing better stats wise than Berry in terms of interceptions. All I said was that Berry was the all around better player but Burnett may be the better ball hawk. Thank you for correcting me.

Honestly I don't know why I'm even bothering replying to someone who's bent on trying to make people look like idiots.

Let it go, ATG. From the way he's been posting and the fact that he hasn't been here very long, I don't think he'll last here.
Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by crzy:
Berry is better than Mays, but it's really win-win with either of them.

huh? why ur saying berry is better than Mays? come on silly.. I like Mays cuz he is very good to tackle and that he can hit hard make Wr would fear cuz they don't want to hurt it and would not want to catch the ball possible that why. I love Mays but wait and see till finnish whole season.. Berry is good around defense and sometime hit hard. I think, Mays may simlair to Troy Polamalu.. I love Troy Polamalu cuz he is very good to read the defense quick a time and awesome blitz and can hit hard too.. wow.. i wish, Troy Polamalu can became a 49ers..


huh? what do u mean this? are u dislike it or not happy?

[ Edited by BuZzB28 on Oct 5, 2009 at 16:03:16 ]
  • volfan2008
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by volfan2008:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Berry only has one interception this year. He'splaying well but maybe he's not quite the ballhawk we've all made him out to be.

One guy I've got my eye on is Morgan Bennett out of Georgia Tech. He's got 3 interceptions on the year and 7 last year. Anyone who's watched him have any opinion on him? I'm very intrigued by him and I think he's a better suit for our free safety position.

You can't be this stupid can you? He's been playing all over the field this year lining up at S, CB, LB and is dominating. Yes he hasn't had the INT's but people are staying away from him. Monte Kiffin one of the best if not best DC's ever said he's the best player he's ever coached.

He's a very good player no doubt.

But as a pure ballhawk I'm not sure he's the best out there. We have plenty of hard-hitting run stuffers, we need a ballhawk.

If he declares he could maybe be had at our second first rounder and we could get someone like Dez Bryant instead.

No need to blow your load at me though....I'm sorry that I don't have time to watch every Tennessee game out there.

So basically you're saying you don't have time to watch every game and someone called you out for your BS opinion on something you have no clue about and are conceding that in fact you are wrong? Cool, I agree. He is the definition of a ball hawk how can you overlook him leading the NCAA in INT's last year and return yards and then complain about his numbers of INT's this year? THe logic or lack there of is giving me a headache. Berry is playing a load of different postions and teams aren't trowing at him, he picked off Tebow which is basically impossible to do has 5 tackles for loss, leads the team in tackles what more do you want? Not a ballwhawk, crazy.

You need to calm the f*ck down. I have better stuff to do than watch all the football games of some mediocre SEC school.

As I can see from your user name you do watch all the games, which is good. Maybe instead of telling me how stupid I am you could nicely tell me a different opinion since you watch him on a weekly basis.

I never said he sucked. I was just bringing up a guy I liked who had just as many interceptions and almost as many tackles for losses as Berry last year who was doing better stats wise than Berry in terms of interceptions. All I said was that Berry was the all around better player but Burnett may be the better ball hawk. Thank you for correcting me.

Honestly I don't know why I'm even bothering replying to someone who's bent on trying to make people look like idiots.

So you watch all of GT games then? Morgan is good but he isn't close to Berry, where did you say Berry was better all around? You may have said it in an earlier post but I don't care to go and look. Yeah I'm a Vol fan but I know who Morgan, Mays, Earl Thomas and so on are and Berry is the better player, ballhawk, has better instincts, is more versatile and so on. You just don't like being questioned its alright I get it. I don't care about this board I've been a lurker for years and don't give a crap if I'm here or not I just couldn't sit by a let your BS post go unnoticed.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 40,285
Here is a great post from nfldraftcountdown on Taylor Mays running down the fastest back in the country Jahvid Best

Quote:
I threw together some snapshots of that play.



I formation. 3rd and 1 with 9 SC defenders in the box. There is 1 safety playing deep and a corner playing man. The tight end is lined up to the short side of the field, so the LBs are shifted towards the tight end...that's a lot of bodies bunched on the short side of the field. Based on this defensive alignment, the pitch is a great call. You are basically banking on one of the fastest rb's in the country turning the corner and possibly going in for a touchdown. Worst case, they should at least get the first down.




Ball is snapped and the movement of the offense gets the defense to flow towards the short side of the field. Mays does a decent job of not flowing too aggressively and staying somewhat home. This is a snapshot of when Best has the ball and Mays recognizes the pitch. Notice that both players are nearly equidistant to the 35 yard line and not that far off from the hash mark. At this point, neither player has an angle on the other. It's a race to get to the "corner" which appears to be the 35 yard line near the wide receiver at the bottom of the screen.




At this point, it looks like Best is going to get to the corner. Mays is being forced to "flatten out" his path to the ball carrier...losing your pursuit angle is usually the kiss of death for a player trying to keep contain. There's a lot of green space to turn this play into a home run. The corner has been run out of the play since he is in man coverage and no way does the DE (a very capable Griffin) get to Best if he flies by Mays.



Best has essentially beaten Mays to the "corner", but Taylor's make up speed has forced the RB towards the sidelines. Mays has effectively pushed the "corner" towards the sideline. This is great because stretching the play out gives the DE some chance of getting a pursuit angle on Best and puts the sideline in play as an extra defender.



Despite the make up speed, Best is still one fast mofo and tries to move the "corner" back into the field of play by using a stiff arm to get around Mays. This is what makes Taylor Mays a freak. At his size, no way is a stiff arm going to alter Mays' path to the running back. You could argue that an equally fast corner could get to Best, but there is a decent chance he would have been stiff armed at this point and Best would have had a chance to get around and down the sideline.
Originally posted by crzy:
Here is a great post from nfldraftcountdown on Taylor Mays running down the fastest back in the country Jahvid Best

Quote:
I threw together some snapshots of that play.



I formation. 3rd and 1 with 9 SC defenders in the box. There is 1 safety playing deep and a corner playing man. The tight end is lined up to the short side of the field, so the LBs are shifted towards the tight end...that's a lot of bodies bunched on the short side of the field. Based on this defensive alignment, the pitch is a great call. You are basically banking on one of the fastest rb's in the country turning the corner and possibly going in for a touchdown. Worst case, they should at least get the first down.




Ball is snapped and the movement of the offense gets the defense to flow towards the short side of the field. Mays does a decent job of not flowing too aggressively and staying somewhat home. This is a snapshot of when Best has the ball and Mays recognizes the pitch. Notice that both players are nearly equidistant to the 35 yard line and not that far off from the hash mark. At this point, neither player has an angle on the other. It's a race to get to the "corner" which appears to be the 35 yard line near the wide receiver at the bottom of the screen.




At this point, it looks like Best is going to get to the corner. Mays is being forced to "flatten out" his path to the ball carrier...losing your pursuit angle is usually the kiss of death for a player trying to keep contain. There's a lot of green space to turn this play into a home run. The corner has been run out of the play since he is in man coverage and no way does the DE (a very capable Griffin) get to Best if he flies by Mays.



Best has essentially beaten Mays to the "corner", but Taylor's make up speed has forced the RB towards the sidelines. Mays has effectively pushed the "corner" towards the sideline. This is great because stretching the play out gives the DE some chance of getting a pursuit angle on Best and puts the sideline in play as an extra defender.



Despite the make up speed, Best is still one fast mofo and tries to move the "corner" back into the field of play by using a stiff arm to get around Mays. This is what makes Taylor Mays a freak. At his size, no way is a stiff arm going to alter Mays' path to the running back. You could argue that an equally fast corner could get to Best, but there is a decent chance he would have been stiff armed at this point and Best would have had a chance to get around and down the sideline.

damn dude nice i like both of them mays has the mentality that samuri mike is looking for but berry is the better overall player i hope at least one of them falls to us
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone