LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 320 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

• kw49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Repeat after me: San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the country. Oakland is a hell hole. People come to visit San Francisco. People long to get the hell out of Oakland. OK.. hope that helps.

Whoa! I take offense to this, John...we were just fcukin around about sports. Now, you've spat off about something that you haven't even experienced. No, going to a couple of Warriors' game a year does NOT count.

I'm a homegrown Oakland boy, born and raised. Bishop O'Dowd kid, CAL grad, yadda yadda anyway. I OWN a condo on Lake Merritt...and you can ask 1/2 of the webzone about my "reputation". Life's good. I've evaded much of the bullsh** and created a fairly nice life for myself. Oakland is ROUGH...no question...but it's all relative. There are areas in Oakland that you shouldn't been seen in...but there are plenty of districts in SF (cough cough Hunters Point) that have similar issues.

Very sorry. I was joking around to get under A's boy's skin a bit with the therapy line. I know there are a few decent places in Oakland. However, Oakland is always going to be a stepchild to SF whether anyone likes it or not. It has been that way for 100 years and will be that way 100 years from now. I'm sure you have a great reputation and I really dont think my comments were directed at you at all. I think you are just being a bit sensitive but again sorry if you were offended.

That was a half assed apology. I know Oakland is not the big city in the bay area, and it doesn't have all of the glitz and esteem of San Francisco, but Oakland has heart, and character, and talent, and most importantly Oakland has pride. It's that pride that compelled me to respond to your post. I come here to read about my A's, not to hear some uppity San Franciscan talk down on my team and my city. Take that s**t to the Giants thread.
Originally posted by kw49:
Originally posted by Jigga:
Repeat after me: San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the country. Oakland is a hell hole. People come to visit San Francisco. People long to get the hell out of Oakland. OK.. hope that helps.

Whoa! I take offense to this, John...we were just fcukin around about sports. Now, you've spat off about something that you haven't even experienced. No, going to a couple of Warriors' game a year does NOT count.

I'm a homegrown Oakland boy, born and raised. Bishop O'Dowd kid, CAL grad, yadda yadda anyway. I OWN a condo on Lake Merritt...and you can ask 1/2 of the webzone about my "reputation". Life's good. I've evaded much of the bullsh** and created a fairly nice life for myself. Oakland is ROUGH...no question...but it's all relative. There are areas in Oakland that you shouldn't been seen in...but there are plenty of districts in SF (cough cough Hunters Point) that have similar issues.

Very sorry. I was joking around to get under A's boy's skin a bit with the therapy line. I know there are a few decent places in Oakland. However, Oakland is always going to be a stepchild to SF whether anyone likes it or not. It has been that way for 100 years and will be that way 100 years from now. I'm sure you have a great reputation and I really dont think my comments were directed at you at all. I think you are just being a bit sensitive but again sorry if you were offended.

That was a half assed apology. I know Oakland is not the big city in the bay area, and it doesn't have all of the glitz and esteem of San Francisco, but Oakland has heart, and character, and talent, and most importantly Oakland has pride. It's that pride that compelled me to respond to your post. I come here to read about my A's, not to hear some uppity San Franciscan talk down on my team and my city. Take that s**t to the Giants thread.

OWNED!
Another downgrade the W's get compared to both SF teams on KNBR programming is that none of their weekend games, they get a postgame call in show.

Unimaginable for that to happen to either SF pro team after any regular season.

I've listed example after example of how even when teams outside of SF do well, they don't get the level of coverage that the SF teams have gotten and probably will get in the future.

You haven't disputed any of them so fine, go ahead and ignore the REAL LIFE examples of BIAS in this market in the past.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Another downgrade the W's get compared to both SF teams on KNBR programming is that none of their weekend games, they get a postgame call in show.

Unimaginable for that to happen to either SF pro team after any regular season.

I've listed example after example of how even when teams outside of SF do well, they don't get the level of coverage that the SF teams have gotten and probably will get in the future.

You haven't disputed any of them so fine, go ahead and ignore the REAL LIFE examples of BIAS in this market in the past.

COL wins again, up 4.5 now...it's over!

Maybe you guys should spend more time in your thread and talk about how another year goes without you making the playoffs.

Go Rockies!
Originally posted by ninerpride:
COL wins again, up 4.5 now...it's over!

Maybe you guys should spend more time in your thread and talk about how another year goes without you making the playoffs.

Go Rockies!

I'm rooting for the Rockies too so they can beat the Dodgers for the division & we'll just battle it out with the Dodgers for the WC.
Dodgers have the easiest SEP schedule out of all the teams, they're gonna make the playoff whether it's the NL West champs or WC.

There's no way they can blow at this time a 6.5 lead with the schedule they have.

They can go 11-10 the rest of the season, unlikely with the schedule but that'd be pretty worse case scenario for them and you'd have to go 19-13.

Not gonna happen.

What is it? 51 years and counting now...
http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090907&content_id=6842198&vkey=news_oak&fext=.jsp&c_id=oak

Been posted around A's boards/blogs but nice mlb.com article about Wallace and a potential mentorship he could have with Chavez possibly next year which is all likely hood will be Chavez's last year with the A's and Wallace probably arriving by next SEP and maybe even sooner in the season.

Definitely see Carter, Wallace, Doolittle and possibly Cardenas as A's hitting prospects who'll see some 2010 action.
Unreal, Carter with another HR for SAC tonight in the playoffs.

Back to back nights now.

Gives him 30 now if you count the 28 he hit in the regular season combined at AA and AAA.
I remember Carter doing this last year in the playoffs. Carter could be a huge slugger for us.

I wish we still has Carlos gonzalez right now

Wallace is nice, but Gonzalez is looking like Carlos Beltran out there.
True, even though I thought maybe the A's pulled a fast one on COL when he was struggling early on, seems like he finally figured it out.

Remember the day the trade happened, I didn't like it because I thought the A's traded away a potential all star type level bat and a guy with the best tools in the minors the A's have had in about a decade since the Tejada/Chavez duo came up in around 97 or 98.

Although how well would Gonzalez be doing if he stayed here. Really, he's in an ideal place. Playing in the NL where he's not seeing the amount of breaking pitches which he's still been known to swing at or thru, he's surrounded by ungodly batting talent with Hawpe, Tui, Smith, Barmes, Helton...who you could argue are all better than what the A's produce with their lineup now even though the A's since the break are scoring I believe around 5 runs per game which is a HUGE improvement.

Then you got maybe the most factor of him playing in still a very good offensive park and would he be putting up these offensive #s had he stayed with the A's in a "rebuilding" year had they not brought in the likes of a Giambi, Cabrera and other vets, not to mention the coliseum factor which players privately I keep reading admit does get into their heads not only because the parks plays pretty fair but it's edges out still to be a pitcher's park, but the amount of foul territory takes away probably 20 ABs per season at least from A's hitters.

I still think Wallace will end up being a better overall hitter than Gonzalez. Probably will hit for higher AVG, maybe a bit more power and will BB more but as an overall all around talent, Gonzalez is better.

Davis has looked great the past 9 weeks, Sweeney seems like he can be a good solid AVG hitters as his AVG is up to a solid .284 after a solid .286 AVG last season in his rookie year...but the power still needs to improve.

At this time, who knows what will happen with Buck and or Cunningham, doesn't look like there is any room for them as starters heading into 2010 with the guys I named earlier and Hairston probably here until 2011.

For the A's sake, they better hope some of these young OFs they have in a Desme, Brown, either a Doolittle or Carter who isn't manning 1B essentially, Peterson, Barfield and maybe thinking 3-4 years down the road with Dixon and Rosario...that one or two of them can at least be MLB regulars and hopefully better.

IF at this point is pretty deep. With Carter/Doolittle, Wallace, Cardenas, Weeks, Green and potentially with the likes of Donaldson moving to a corner IF spot like 3B...OF needs to be addressed in the near future in terms of adding more quality talent.
You also have to take into account Gonzalez's defensive ability.

i hope we let Cunningham have a legitimate crack at a job. I'd even trade Hairston to do it.
You also have to take into account Gonzalez's defensive ability.

i hope we let Cunningham have a legitimate crack at a job. I'd even trade Hairston to do it.
This is what I see heading into 2010 if the A's don't make a huge deal or signing, something I don't think they will.

C-Suzuki, Powell
1B-Barton, Everidge
2B-Ellis, Patterson
SS-Pennington
3B-Chavez
LF-Hariston
CF-Davis
RF-Sweeney, Cunningham
DH-Cust

...at this point I don't know if the A's will sign Kennedy who'll be a FA after this season. Even after a blistering start, he's cooled off but he's still a decent viable bat, maybe doesn't have the power you'd want from a 3B but the guy is a solid veteran which the A's could use.

I doubt very much Chavez will be able to stay healthy for a full season...just hope maybe he can last until June and by that time, Wallace could be ready, heck he could be ready to start the year if he has a good ST but in terms of service time, I'd love to see him stay at AAA until June so 2010 won't count against his clock.

SP-Anderson, Cahill, Braden, Gio, Mazzaro

RP-Blevins, Breslow, Gray, Wuertz, Devine, Ziegler

CP-Bailey

...I don't know if the A's will add another veteran SP but I think those five still youngsters would make up the opening day rotation for 2010. Braden is a solid vet and the other four, really do any needs anymore time in AAA?

Morteson, Simmons, and maybe a few others at AAA who get promoted from AA midway thru 2010 like a Ross could also be ready if somebody falter.

Pen is deep. I didn't even include names like Kilby, Cameron, Schroder, Casilla, Marshall...all who've seen time here in the bigs and a few putting up good #s.

Got HRod and Demel waiting in the wings at AAA too.
Share 49ersWebzone