LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by 49erfan3252:
Im gonna laugh so hard if the Giants miss the playoffs. As much as id like for a bay area team to make the playoffs just because it's been a while im gonna laugh because everybody's getting overly excited..UMM the Rockies are still leading..

and i do agree with Niner Pride I watch CSN and they don't talk about the A's for s**t. Doesn't even matter if they're in last place it's supposed to be about Bay Area sports in general not just SF.

Haha at least we know we are one big bat away from making the playoffs, I think the San Jose Giants could beat that pathetic A's team.

yet the Giants still haven't gotten a big bat since Barry Bonds. im just saying
Whining about the media, if you wanna say that fine. I think it's exposing the biased media here, something you just don't see because you're wearing your orange/black or red/gold colored rose glasses and don't mind the media kissing the ass of two of your teams that you root for specifically because they play or have SF in their team name.

Do you think other fans around the country should keep their mouths shut about ESPN and the way they shove down everything NYC or BOS down our throats or should we take it and not complain about how biased of a station they are day after day, month after month, year after year.

I've written to comcast's email box and in a non combative and respective email written about the lack of coverage the A's aren't getting yet haven't gotten an email back and I'm sure other A's fans have done this, know for a fact a couple who I chat with have done this and they've just like me have yet to get a response.

You think by the time by mid April comes around and the W's are having their usual losing year at the end of the season that they'd get the treatment the A's have gotten recently which is being relegated to 20-30 sec at the most clips at the very end of the sports highlight show, I don't think so.

As for the whole championships issue, it's a FACT, sorry you can't handle it. Your franchise has been a bunch of sorry losers since arriving yet you fans there think they are better than everybody by the way they love to talk down to everybody here on the west coast be it Dodgers or A's fans especially who the media and fan bases across the bay loves to bash anytime they can get. Listening to KNBR over the years, you hear it from the fans and hosts like Ralph who has NOTHING good to say about Oakland and loves to take his shots at the city, team and fans there anytime they can get.

What I'm tired of and been complaining is the A's don't deserve to be relegated to the very last segment of the sports newscast of a BAY AREA show. Sure they're not doing well but that does not mean they should received what it feels like 5% of the total coverage here in the bay area on that Comcast Central show.

I do find it funny that a somebody like yourself is constantly spending the time to come to an A's thread to read up on what's going on here. How boring and pathetic is your life that you come to a thread of a team you know very little about, and try to have meaningful discussions with A's fans specifically the arguments about the whole Geren is a terrible manager topic a few months ago with me and ATG when you don't even watch the A's games enough to know how poor of a in game manager he is.

As for the W's, I f**king explained this s**t too much already but I guess you just can't remember it so I'll repeat it once again. W's the day after Game 1 of the playoffs against DAL in 07, a game most of the bay area sports fans, IMO W's fans are probably are the most and loyal fans here in the bay area, had waited almost a decade and a half for and the W's won that game. KNBR the supposed "home of the W's" didn't have a postgame show to call into. You'd think any other radio home of an NBA team after a playoff game wouldn't have a local call in show for the fans to express their feelings about such an event...not to mention it was the first W's playoff game in nearly over a dozen years and they got nothing!....and yet that station has enough time, energy, and money to have post game show hosts for exhibition 49ers games as they have with Bruce right now or on most weekend cactus league SFG games on the weekends with Urban? You think after a playoff Niners or Giants games, KNBR wouldn't have a post game show where fans could call in. That was completely unacceptable in my book and personally I'm not a W's fan.

Could use the example the night the W's clinched a playoff birth against POR, you'd think they'd get maybe a mention early in the news telecasts here but they didn't. Why wasn't it, it was a big enough story for the entire bay area landscape for it to warrant an early coverage on the telecasts at night but it didn't happen!

Lets for example say the Giants missed the playoffs for about a dozen years like the W's did from the mid 90s up until 06-07 and made the playoff finally, no doubt in my mind they'd get the top story on every single damn station's newscast here in the bay area. That's something I doubt anybody here would argue against. Yet the W's don't get that coverage when unlike the A's/Giants and Niners/Raiders...they actually are a pro team here in the bay area most of the other fan bases who pretty much despise each other roots for since they're the only basketball team here locally.

In terms of EARNING coverage when you do well. Did the A's deserve better coverage for their playoff runs this past decade where they either clinched a playoff berth or finally in 06 advanced to the ALCS yet the majority of the time were relegated to the back of the telecast sports segments? Certainly it wasn't very equal when both bay area baseball teams were doing well and it certainly isn't even close right now with the A's doing bad and SF somewhat in the playoff hunt although that's fading day after day recently.

Heck I remember during the 20 game winning streak in 02, after the winning streak reached around in the mid teens especially when these games were played at the coliseum and how they winning in dramatic fashion, they didn't get the coverage IMO the SFG were accomplishing the same feat here locally. Really it wasn't until maybe the last few games, maybe after wins 19 and 20 where a couple of news stations here early on would mention about it in their broadcast.

My point is no matter if certain teams were doing good or both teams were doing bad, there is clearly a biased for the SF teams here in this market.

Those fans here locally who root for Oakland and SJ based teams can see it.
That question about where you live/born wasn't directed towards you.

Quote:
Does Oakland even deserve to get media coverage?
Yeah, it's cheap shots like these that makes me as an Oaklander spew my hate for SF even more. As I posted just a few minutes ago in my previous post, people who lived and or gives their alligiance to the city of SF just loves to talk down on other cities or fan bases from cities like Oakland and LA especially. Seems like they like to make themselves look better slamming everything associated with their "rivals" and everything that's not SF based.

Seems as if it doesn't happen in SF, it doesn't deserve the first class treatment.

This is just a perfect example of how many here in the east bay thinks how stuck up SF fans are that they think they're better than everybody else and etc.

And what Oakland forum are you talking about specifically because I wanna know? Do you go to AN or scout boards because those sites are pretty busy during the seasons.

I know SF will always get more media coverage but Oakland and heck SJ be it with the Sharks or even if the A's move there deserve at least some equal footing in terms of placement and coverage when something does good happen here on the non SF side of the bay. And I definitely don't think the A's should be disrespected as badly as they have been recently with the 15-30 secs of a highlight "package" on a 30 minute program of a bay area sports show no matter if they're not doing all that well.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Repeat after me: San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the country. Oakland is a hell hole. People come to visit San Francisco. People long to get the hell out of Oakland. OK.. hope that helps.

Whoa! I take offense to this, John...we were just fcukin around about sports. Now, you've spat off about something that you haven't even experienced. No, going to a couple of Warriors' game a year does NOT count.

I'm a homegrown Oakland boy, born and raised. Bishop O'Dowd kid, CAL grad, yadda yadda anyway. I OWN a condo on Lake Merritt...and you can ask 1/2 of the webzone about my "reputation". Life's good. I've evaded much of the bullsh** and created a fairly nice life for myself. Oakland is ROUGH...no question...but it's all relative. There are areas in Oakland that you shouldn't been seen in...but there are plenty of districts in SF (cough cough Hunters Point) that have similar issues.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Whining about the media, if you wanna say that fine. I think it's exposing the biased media here, something you just don't see because you're wearing your orange/black or red/gold colored rose glasses and don't mind the media kissing the ass of two of your teams that you root for specifically because they play or have SF in their team name.

Do you think other fans around the country should keep their mouths shut about ESPN and the way they shove down everything NYC or BOS down our throats or should we take it and not complain about how biased of a station they are day after day, month after month, year after year.

I've written to comcast's email box and in a non combative and respective email written about the lack of coverage the A's aren't getting yet haven't gotten an email back and I'm sure other A's fans have done this, know for a fact a couple who I chat with have done this and they've just like me have yet to get a response.

You think by the time by mid April comes around and the W's are having their usual losing year at the end of the season that they'd get the treatment the A's have gotten recently which is being relegated to 20-30 sec at the most clips at the very end of the sports highlight show, I don't think so.

As for the whole championships issue, it's a FACT, sorry you can't handle it. Your franchise has been a bunch of sorry losers since arriving yet you fans there think they are better than everybody by the way they love to talk down to everybody here on the west coast be it Dodgers or A's fans especially who the media and fan bases across the bay loves to bash anytime they can get. Listening to KNBR over the years, you hear it from the fans and hosts like Ralph who has NOTHING good to say about Oakland and loves to take his shots at the city, team and fans there anytime they can get.

What I'm tired of and been complaining is the A's don't deserve to be relegated to the very last segment of the sports newscast of a BAY AREA show. Sure they're not doing well but that does not mean they should received what it feels like 5% of the total coverage here in the bay area on that Comcast Central show.

I do find it funny that a somebody like yourself is constantly spending the time to come to an A's thread to read up on what's going on here. How boring and pathetic is your life that you come to a thread of a team you know very little about, and try to have meaningful discussions with A's fans specifically the arguments about the whole Geren is a terrible manager topic a few months ago with me and ATG when you don't even watch the A's games enough to know how poor of a in game manager he is.

As for the W's, I f**king explained this s**t too much already but I guess you just can't remember it so I'll repeat it once again. W's the day after Game 1 of the playoffs against DAL in 07, a game most of the bay area sports fans, IMO W's fans are probably are the most and loyal fans here in the bay area, had waited almost a decade and a half for and the W's won that game. KNBR the supposed "home of the W's" didn't have a postgame show to call into. You'd think any other radio home of an NBA team after a playoff game wouldn't have a local call in show for the fans to express their feelings about such an event...not to mention it was the first W's playoff game in nearly over a dozen years and they got nothing!....and yet that station has enough time, energy, and money to have post game show hosts for exhibition 49ers games as they have with Bruce right now or on most weekend cactus league SFG games on the weekends with Urban? You think after a playoff Niners or Giants games, KNBR wouldn't have a post game show where fans could call in. That was completely unacceptable in my book and personally I'm not a W's fan.

Could use the example the night the W's clinched a playoff birth against POR, you'd think they'd get maybe a mention early in the news telecasts here but they didn't. Why wasn't it, it was a big enough story for the entire bay area landscape for it to warrant an early coverage on the telecasts at night but it didn't happen!

Lets for example say the Giants missed the playoffs for about a dozen years like the W's did from the mid 90s up until 06-07 and made the playoff finally, no doubt in my mind they'd get the top story on every single damn station's newscast here in the bay area. That's something I doubt anybody here would argue against. Yet the W's don't get that coverage when unlike the A's/Giants and Niners/Raiders...they actually are a pro team here in the bay area most of the other fan bases who pretty much despise each other roots for since they're the only basketball team here locally.

In terms of EARNING coverage when you do well. Did the A's deserve better coverage for their playoff runs this past decade where they either clinched a playoff berth or finally in 06 advanced to the ALCS yet the majority of the time were relegated to the back of the telecast sports segments? Certainly it wasn't very equal when both bay area baseball teams were doing well and it certainly isn't even close right now with the A's doing bad and SF somewhat in the playoff hunt although that's fading day after day recently.

Heck I remember during the 20 game winning streak in 02, after the winning streak reached around in the mid teens especially when these games were played at the coliseum and how they winning in dramatic fashion, they didn't get the coverage IMO the SFG were accomplishing the same feat here locally. Really it wasn't until maybe the last few games, maybe after wins 19 and 20 where a couple of news stations here early on would mention about it in their broadcast.

My point is no matter if certain teams were doing good or both teams were doing bad, there is clearly a biased for the SF teams here in this market.

Those fans here locally who root for Oakland and SJ based teams can see it.

Wow. You should be a politician because you can go on and on and repeat yourself with mindless dribble with the best of them. I hope you enjoyed writing that lengthy diatribe on tne Bay Area media. You just don't get it and never will. The media is not there for YOUR benefit. They are out for ratings and the A's are pretty much meaningless in this marketplace in terms of ratings.
Originally posted by Jigga:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Repeat after me: San Francisco is the most beautiful city in the country. Oakland is a hell hole. People come to visit San Francisco. People long to get the hell out of Oakland. OK.. hope that helps.

Whoa! I take offense to this, John...we were just fcukin around about sports. Now, you've spat off about something that you haven't even experienced. No, going to a couple of Warriors' game a year does NOT count.

I'm a homegrown Oakland boy, born and raised. Bishop O'Dowd kid, CAL grad, yadda yadda anyway. I OWN a condo on Lake Merritt...and you can ask 1/2 of the webzone about my "reputation". Life's good. I've evaded much of the bullsh** and created a fairly nice life for myself. Oakland is ROUGH...no question...but it's all relative. There are areas in Oakland that you shouldn't been seen in...but there are plenty of districts in SF (cough cough Hunters Point) that have similar issues.

Very sorry. I was joking around to get under A's boy's skin a bit with the therapy line. I know there are a few decent places in Oakland. However, Oakland is always going to be a stepchild to SF whether anyone likes it or not. It has been that way for 100 years and will be that way 100 years from now. I'm sure you have a great reputation and I really dont think my comments were directed at you at all. I think you are just being a bit sensitive but again sorry if you were offended.
Ratings? Yeah I guess the newsworthiness of the A's/W's/Sharks/Raiders making it to the postseason and or the playoff games themselves during this past decade wouldn't get as high of ratings as some of the usual sometimes boring "normal events" most newscasts air are about these days.

Quit it with the ratings argument because the Raiders get the second highest ratings here locally on TV only behind the Niners in terms of total fan viewership for sporting events yet like the A's are treated like 2nd and 3rd class citizens at times compared to the SF teams.

Just a very small example I know some of my friends who are Raider fans noticed for a while. The intro of the Comcast Central show when it first was aired, they showed every logo of the major bay area sports teams here other than the Raiders. It was only until maybe this past few weeks when the SJ Earthquake logo was replaced by the Raiders logo. Telling me a pro team can't get in the opening yet a 2nd level pro team like the Earthquakes and even the college teams here locally which we all know isn't a huge college town compared to other areas of the country.

Watch the Sunday night sports show opening for NBC11, A's are completely left off the intro as are the Warriors.

Maybe little things that the average bay area sports fans don't even recognize but little "shots" against Oakland sports teams like these east bay fans notice.

If you don't wanna admit there is elite biased by the SF media here, then fine, you'll NEVER GET with the examples I brought up on why many east bay sports fans here can't stand most of the sports media as a whole and why they're sick and tired no matter if they're winning or losing about the treatment from the media to not only the fans but the city too.
Idiot didn't even answer my question about where he was born or lives. Doubt very much he was born or lived a whole ton of his life SF during.

Probably lives in some mundane forgettable city with very little history somewhere in the Peninsula like Daly City or Brisbane where nobody outside of the bay area knows or cares about and has "adopted" SF as his city when talking with people outside the area or hell people who live in the area.

Loser...
Man, I'm a Giants fan but why are you guys coming in here to pick on A's fans? I'm more than upset that the Giants haven't been doing well against the Padres, but leave the A's fans alone.. I'd rather see one Bay Area team do well FINALLY..

Plus, these guys are Niner fans as well.. Let them root for who they want to root for..
I'm freaking amazed to see what Davis has been doing on the A's since really getting full time ABs 3 months ago.

.351/.400/.497 with 15 2Bs/3 3Bs/2 HRs/31 RBIs and 15 BBs/22 Ks with 25/30 on SBs 185 ABs since the start of June.

I don't think anybody saw this coming, I thought at best he was a 4th OF and remember thinking earlier in the year he should be let go because he just was hitting but also struggling with D which was his main asset to the team to begin the year as a potential replacement late defensively in games.

At this point, I don't know if it's a fluke or what but you gotta pen him in as the starting CF to begin 2010.

Maybe he comes back to reality after this great 4 or so months stretch but he's been the biggest surprise this year.

Correction, Davis has been doing this the start of July, not June.

Still as impressive of a 9 weeks stretch as I've seen any A's hitter in recent years.

Probably would have to go to the second halves the trio of Thomas, Swisher, and Bradley had in 06 during the A's last playoff run. Course Thomas probably earned a ton of MVP votes during that time.

Won't happen with Davis but he's been IMO by far the biggest surprise this season for the A's, even over Bailey maybe.
Speaking of Bailey, I think he's probably the fav to win AL ROY now.

At this point, statistically I think he's having a better ROY season than Street did when he won the award back in 05.

I thought Beckham from the ChiSox maybe a month ago was the fav but looks as he's faded recently in the past few weeks.

I think Neiman whos the TB SP prospect would be the toughest challenger to Bailey.
Just to compare the two rookie closers...

Street 2005
ERA SV IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ WHIP BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
1.72 23 78.1 53 17 15 3 26 72 253 1.009 3.0 8.3 2.77

Bailey 2009
ERA SV IP H R ER HR BB SO ERA+ WHIP BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2.06 23 74.1 48 17 17 5 22 79 216 0.94 2.7 9.6 3.6
"You think by the time by mid April comes around and the W's are having their usual losing year at the end of the season that they'd get the treatment the A's have gotten recently which is being relegated to 20-30 sec at the most clips at the very end of the sports highlight show, I don't think so. "

"Could use the example the night the W's clinched a playoff birth against POR, you'd think they'd get maybe a mention early in the news telecasts here but they didn't. Why wasn't it, it was a big enough story for the entire bay area landscape for it to warrant an early coverage on the telecasts at night but it didn't happen! "

LOL Your first comment you complain that the Warriors would not get the same bad treatment as the A's get. Then in the same post you go on to make an example of how the Warriors get such bad treatment. At least try being consistent in your comments - or do you forget what you wrote 30 seconds earlier. That often happens when someone just rambles on and on.

OK.. I am done in here. You can go ahead and have the last word and cry and complain some more about the poor poor A's and their mistreatment from the media. Go for it. There might be about 3 people who will actually see your response anyway given the apathy of A's fans for this thread.

Oh.. not that I need to answer your question but I will. Born in SF and lived down the peninsula. Happy? Oh by the way.. I won't stoop to your level of calling people clowns, idiots, dicks, or losers.
Originally posted by djb49:
Man, I'm a Giants fan but why are you guys coming in here to pick on A's fans? I'm more than upset that the Giants haven't been doing well against the Padres, but leave the A's fans alone.. I'd rather see one Bay Area team do well FINALLY..

Plus, these guys are Niner fans as well.. Let them root for who they want to root for..

Werd, bro. Don't you guys have bigger fish to fry?

I mean, seriously...if you look back at this thread since around MAY, there has been more talk about our farm system than A's BASEBALL. We were toast long before the All-Star break...THEN we broke our club down for prospects.

Good luck on making the postseason.
Share 49ersWebzone