Tickets
Super Bowl 54
Buy Gear

There are 174 users in the forums

2009 Oakland A's thread

Weird prospect list at Sickels site regarding the A's.

Met fan I guess posted it, as the username looked like a fan from that org.

Some of the prospects he had in the top ten, I don't even have in my top 20-25.

Quote:

1. Jemile Weeks, 2B, A- Almost an exact throwback of his brother Rickie. He has power, wheels, discipline, and hits for average. He's a swtich hitter and a bit of an injury risk and showed us that after his hip flexor injury. He's a good, explosive player who is probably going to be on the A's for as long as they can afford him. After beginning the year in May, he's hit for a .316/.395/.509 line for the A+ Stockton Ports. He's hit his first speedbump this July. With the A's extremely weak at the 2B position, I see him getting some good MLB time in 2010. At 22 years old, he's young, college-polished, and one of the best prospects in the game.

2. Brett Wallace, 3B, B+/A- He's got one of the funniest faces the game has to offer, and one of the most promising bats. Between A and AA last year, he hit .337 with 8 HR in 202 ABs with a .427 OBP and a .530 SLG. Already he was high on many prospectors' Top 50s, however his defense was dubious. Wallace has been an OK third baseman so far despite his large frame, and with the contest for the A's first baseman a tad clogged I think Wallace is far more suitable for 3B or DH in the bigs. Between AA and AAA this year so far he's hit .289/.367/.427, which certainly isn't bad for a 22 year old, but for him having such low pop between the Texas League and PCL worries me a bit. He may see some MLB time this year. His grade depends on his power.

3. Chris Carter, 1B, B+ Carter is the other true top prospect in the A's system. He's been hitting for some solid average, but his main prowess is walking and hitting homers, and check this out: the 6'4 225 pound Carter has stolen 11 bases! Carter was acquired via the Dan Haren trade, and worries many scouts and fans with his high K rate, which last year was around 1 K per 3.2 ABs, a highly worrying number. Many also doubt Carter's defensive ability, and believe he is a future DH; however, Carter's production seems to silence the faults. In 2008 he hit for a .259/.361/.569 slash line with 39 homers, and this year in the Texas League so far it's been .305/.407/.515 with 16. I am very optimistic about Carter and I believe he is every bit of the ability to be a righty Ryan Howard, but he has to prove he can move past his high K rate (1-per-4 ABs this year) to do it.

4. Michael Ynoa, RHP, B Still an engima with good stuff. Inoa has a consistantly 91-93 MPH fastball that hits 96 and 97, and is 17 years old at the moment. He's got a rather large frame, standing just above Kobe Bryant at 6'7" and yet weighs about as much as Jose Reyes at 205 LBS. So yeah, he still has room to fill out. IYnoa has no pro experience yet, but he IS on the A's' Arizona League roster. He matches his fastball with two very nice pitches in a curve and splitter, and at 17 is more polished than most players half a decade older than he is. Known to scouts as an absolute gem of a player. No pro experience warrants nothing more than a B.

5. Grant Desme, OF, B Desme is a pretty sexy prospect this year to be sure, and mostly because of his gargantuan counting stats. This year, Desme has hit 29 homers and stolen 40 bases. I'm already salivating. There isn't a doubt in my mind or anyone else's for that matter that this guy is the epitome of toolsy. Desme is a righty hitter drafted out of college and will likely see some MLB time possibly as soon as August 2010 knowing the A's. His speed is stellar, as is his baserunning ability (89% SB success rate), and his power is his most standout tool (TBC scouting report ranked it a 95 out of 100). Unfortunately, some worries accompany his seemingly unlimited potential. His plate discipline is in need of some work. He kinda needs to walk more (52 times in 540 PA), and strikeout a hair less (144!!). Make sure to watch this kid.

6. Adrian Cardenas, 2B/SS, B- I'm sure Billy Beane wants Cardenas around for a long time. Cardenas is nothing but OBP. He's a good defender, but he's nothing but OBP. Cardenas in the FSL last year hit for a .296/.364/.399 line with 17 stolen bags, and was caught stealing once. This year in AA he hit .317/.386/.436, and is having some trouble adjusting to AAA. He's certainly a good prospect and reminds me a bit of Luis Castillo with less wheels. I'm sure Cardenas will develop SOME power, but maybe when he's around 25 or 26. He's 21 now.

7. Henry Rodriguez, RHP, B- An unhittable reliever. He throws a high-90s heat and mixes it with a very nice changeup. He has a breaking ball, but he'll probably drop it soon if he hasn't recently. Should make for a spectacular closer. Last year, mainly as a starter in the CALi league, he pitched 75 innings, walked 40, and struck out 104. He allowed 57 hits, and 5 HRs to achieve a 3.96 ERA. He got absolutely rocked in 40 or so innings in the Texas League, walking and striking out about 1 per inning pitched, bringing his ERA to 7.46. Since being moved to relief duty full time, he's had a 4.94 ERA and 22 walks in 27 innings, but he's shown that he can dominate hitters very well. He's struck out 45, and allowed 18 hits. Rodriguez has time to gain command. He's a 22 year old relief prospect in AAA, so he's fine.

8. Sam Demel, RHP, B- I can't say I know too much about Demel in terms of his repertoire. I know that he's destined for the bullpen and his numbers suggest that he could be a setup man or closer. He gets Ks, has solid command for a reliever, and has great makeup. Demel has a deceptive motion with a good release point that's hard for batters to pick up. He's not a hard tosser, but has great bite to his fastball. At 23 years old, he's almost ready for the bigs, and is seeing some time in AAA. He's not too big a guy but not small, standing 6'0" 200 LBs with a pretty muscular frame. In AA, he was phenominal to say the least. In 27 appearances he pitched 29.1 innings, striking out 26, walking 9, and finishing the league with a 0.61 ERA. In AAA, he's seeing his first real command struggle. In 11 appearances he's pitched 14 innings and walked 9, striking out 14 for a 1.93 ERA.

9. Jason Christian, 3B, B- Christian was a steal from the 2008 draft. He's a base stealer who knows how to take a pitch. He's been between third and shortstop in the A's organization. In short-season ball in 2008, Christian hit .291/.404/.432 in 214 ABs, going 13 for 14 in stolen base attempts. He also saw a small glimpse of A ball. Christian, now 22, has been in A ball for all of this year, and is still showing quite good discipline at the plate (41 walks, 69 Ks, 330 ABs), and Beltran-like efficiency on the paths (28-for-31 this year). The negatives for Christian have been his troubles at the plate, evident by a .261/.341/.385 slash line, and small encounters with injury. If I were to make a crystal ball on Christian, I'd say that he's see's some big league time at 24, struggles at ages 25 and 26, and comes to be a very good leadoff hitter between 27 and 31, the average of those years being a .280/.360/.420 line with a crapload of stolen bases.

10. Mickey Storey, RHP, B- Storey is the third relief pitcher I've included in the A's Top 10, and it's an incredible testament to the Athletics' pitching depth. In addition to a full 2010 rotation (Braden, Cahill, Anderson, Outman, Mazzaro), the organization is filled with young starting pitching (Gonzalez, Simmons, Eveland, Ynoa, Ross) as well as a wonderful closer (Bailey) and 3 candidates to replace him (Rodriguez, Demel, Storey). But anyways, on to Storey himself. Storey was a brilliant relief pitcher his junior year in 2007, but opted to go for a senior year. In the end, he finished with a 7 ERA. Because of this, Storey dropped to the 31st round, when the A's picked him up. Storey, sporting a High-80s fastball and a beautiful mid-70s curve, as well as a serviceable change, is a command artist in addition to his plus stuff, which helped him to a 23-to-1 K/BB rate in his duration at A-ball. In the beginning of this year, Storey didn't even make a full season squad, and made it to A ball as a replacement. Now he's in AAA. Between A/A+/AAA ball, Storey has pitched 44.0 innings, striking out 62 and walking just 7. A phenomenal young pitcher.

11. Sean Doolittle, 1B/OF, B- Battling a knee injury, Doolittle is a solid player who should have a good career as a platoon hitter. He has some potential with the bat, mostly in the power department, he has pretty average contact ability and above average discipline. Due to health and the fact that he probably won't show that he can be a good full time hitter, he should see plenty of 350 at-bat seasons.

12. Tyson Ross, RHP, C+ Selected in the 2008 draft, Ross was a pick that received minor controversy. On paper, Ross is a very attractive player -- he is the owner of a mid-90s fastball and a mid-70s change that makes for a nice velocity change. In addition he's developing a curveball and slider. He's a strikeout pitcher with good command, and it doesn't hurt that he's 6'5 and 215 pounds. There's no doubt that Ross's scouting report and built dark frame is a plus, but what's the downside to Tyson Ross? It isn't his 4.41 ERA for the year, but rather his awkward delivery which may inhibit his durability and may make him prone to injury. Despite his delivery and also because of it, Tyson Ross is a prospect to watch.

13. James Simmons, RHP, C+ Just last year Simmons was a legitimate Top 10 Prospect for the A's. His numbers were wonderful and he was on the fast track to the bigs, with great command and a good changeup. Of course, when a pitcher who was known for his command loses it, bad things happen. Simmons was in Double-A in 2008, pitch for Midland in the Texas League. His ERA came out to a neat and tidy 3.51, and his walk rate a fabulous 2.1 per 9. Simmons looked like he was near ready to be the Athletics' number 4 behind Cahill, Anderson and Mazzaro. However, Simmons has seen a setback in AAA this year, as his walk rate has zoomed up to 3.5 per 9 and his K rate dropped from 7.9 to 6.5 per 9. Simmons doesn't have premier stuff -- his fastball tops out at 92 and is steady at 88, and his changeup only works when is fastball does. He projects to be a back end starter if he continues to walk as much as he has been.

14. Corey Brown, OF, C+ A toolsy young outfielder who should be used to success by now. Injuries holding him back.

15. Dusty Coleman, SS, C+ Despite being a young shortstop, there is nothing too exciting about him. He's a 22 year old right with overall above average tools with potential to be an everyday regular. Coleman is only held back by his ridiculous K rate, which has never dipped below 33.2% and has gotten as high as 39%. Coleman's walk rate has improve significantly from 5% to 10%, so as long as the Ks drop he should prove to be a valuable player. His 20-for-29 in stolen bases, and his ISO is good for a shortstop at .144. If I were to predict Coleman's future, I'd say he sees another 2 or 3 years of minor league time before being promoted and proving himself to be a useful role player, perhaps a regular.

16. Cliff Pennington, SS, C+ You may have seen Pennington in a Miami Dolphins uniform, but in his spare time he's a speed demon with a good, disciplined approach at the plate. Last year Pennington also saw some time in the Futures Game for God know's why. Cliff plays a very good shortstop and is pretty average in every category but discipline (above average) and speed. Time is running out for Pennington to be successful, but I believe he could be useful to some team, getting a .340 OBP and stealing his fair share of bases. To get a good idea of how good a base-stealer he is, one needs to look no further than his career SB numbers, where he is 107-for-128 in stolen base attempts. His career numbers and 2009 season numbers also give you an idea of what kind of hitter he is (.263/.362/.358 and .264/.345/.367 respectively). He'll be 26 next year.

17. Josh Donaldson, C, C+ A pretty underrated prospect, Donaldson overall is a good hitter in every respect. He's disciplined at the plate, he can hit for power, and he can get a solid average as well (think .265-.275). His K rates are pretty normal also (20.1% this year, accompanied with a 15.9% walk rate). In terms of standout ability I don't think Donaldson really has any, but I think he'd be a more than capable hitting catcher for just about any team out there, and that's pretty rare. This year, Donaldson's line in AA ball looked very promising, as he hit for a .272/.387/.413 clip. His power was down a bit as demonstrated by a .036 drop in ISO, but I don't find that number worrisome as the Texas League often robs power hitters of their homers. Donaldson only has one concern and it's whether he can stick at catcher, which I guess is pretty major, but worst-case scenario he'd be a solid corner infielder.

18. Nino Leyja, SS/2B, C A young, raw second baseman with plus defense and speed. Only 18 years old this year, he naturally struggled throughout the year.

19. Jeremy Barfield, OF, C Also a young, raw hitter. Good discipline, need to see more.

20. Rashun Dixon, OF, C Same things as Barfield and Leyja.
Originally posted by ninerpride:
Watching Comcast Central this morning, didn't watch it last night but really, could they basically give the middle finger to the A's org and fans.

To relegate the A's highlights with the LAA Thursday to the very last segment is disgraceful. True the A's aren't going anywhere this season but telling me 3 or 4 different segments of the SFG, Niners, Raiders, even showing the damn Dodgers/Rockies/Marlins highlights because it means SOOOO much for SF, and an interview with the SJ head coach should all be aired before the A's highlights appear.

And when they did show the highlights, it was only three clips. The HR by Sweeney, the great play up the middle against Suzuki, and the last play of the game. Really, couldn't show a few highlights of Cahill who pitched a great game against whom many consider right now to be the best team in the bigs or at least one of the best teams.

This makes me all but root against SF even more cause got the feeling that the show, which airs on CSNBA which is partially owned by SF...gets some orders from the "bosses" because the lack of respect and the biased shown against the A's is getting really obvious on that station.

And I've seen a biased on a sports station before so I know what I'm seeing is true, hello ESPN and how they just ram thru everything NYC and BOS sports, and I'm seeing it here locally now.

LOL DId you ever think that it might just be because the A's games are meaningless right now? If the A's were in the playoff hunt that wouldnt be the case. RIght now Bay Area fans are excited about their football teams and the Giants. Anything else is going to go to the backburner and it makes all the sense in the world for Comcast to deal with the teams in that way. I know it is painful for you but the A's just are not important at this point of the year.
Watching Comcast Central this morning, didn't watch it last night but really, could they basically give the middle finger to the A's org and fans.

To relegate the A's highlights with the LAA Thursday to the very last segment is disgraceful. True the A's aren't going anywhere this season but telling me 3 or 4 different segments of the SFG, Niners, Raiders, even showing the damn Dodgers/Rockies/Marlins highlights because it means SOOOO much for SF, and an interview with the SJ head coach should all be aired before the A's highlights appear.

And when they did show the highlights, it was only three clips. The HR by Sweeney, the great play up the middle against Suzuki, and the last play of the game. Really, couldn't show a few highlights of Cahill who pitched a great game against whom many consider right now to be the best team in the bigs or at least one of the best teams.

This makes me all but root against SF even more cause got the feeling that the show, which airs on CSNBA which is partially owned by SF...gets some orders from the "bosses" because the lack of respect and the biased shown against the A's is getting really obvious on that station.

And I've seen a biased on a sports station before so I know what I'm seeing is true, hello ESPN and how they just ram thru everything NYC and BOS sports, and I'm seeing it here locally now.

win some ball gms and get into playoff contention then your team will get coverage but until then enjoy watching the giants its ok to hate us even more cuz your team is 1 of the worst and were in a playoff chase
If the A's were in the playoff race and SF weren't like it was back in 06, you think that that show would relegate SF to the last very highlight package, I don't think so.

There is clearly a bias, you may not see it because of your blind faith to your team, but for those outside of your fanbase can notice it clearly. When a show like Comcast Central or Chron Live on CSNBA spends the first 5 or so minutes of the program on the demotion of a player like Fransden or Velez like it's some huge franchise altering transaction, it's just laughable.

I've said it before but CSNBA=KNBR. It's a biased station here locally that in the words of Ratto, "it's the mouthpiece for SF sports".

Yeah go ahead and enjoy your "playoff run" and like clock work for your franchise, I as an A's fan will love to see you guys choke down the stretch at the end like you have for almost all your 50 years coming to the bay area.

Terrible game last night.

Tomko pitched well but the pen with help of bad umpiring helped LAA take the lead.

I doubt Tomko has much of a future with the A's org both as a SP or RP but nice to see him pitching well in all three of his starts since arriving.
Everidge sent back to AAA. 2/21 with only a HR/RBI in his past ten games. Wouldn't mind seeing him as a reserve in the future as the RH bat off the bench ala a Saenz earlier this decade although he was really good as a pinch hitter/backup...not sure about Everidge but I'd give him a shot.

Barton has played well since getting full time ABs over the past week plus. .333/.381/.389 in the past six games. Small sample size but like to see what he can do. Obviously at this point he's the most talented of the A's 1B that's MLB ready...that may not be the case sometime in 2010 with Doolittle and Carter on his heels at AAA to start the season.

Barton is an enigma. Hot in June/July of 07, was torrid in his SEP callup that same season. Stunk last year until SEP/08, was hot around the same time in 07 this past season, and who knows, maybe finishes up SEP/09 hot like he has the past two seasons in the bigs.

Seems as Barton gets RED HOT for a time but can't keep it up the entire season. Consistency has been a problem of his for the past 3 or so years now.

The guy just turned 24 a few weeks ago and the talent has always been there, but I just don't know what to think of him at this point long term with this org.

I hope the A's give him a legit shot to start 2010 and see him get full time ABs at 1B and then evaluate him sometime maybe at the all star break and see whether or not he has a future with the team especially when it's likely that Doolittle/Carter would be SEP callups in 2010 and be called up earlier in the season.
If the A's were in the playoff race and SF weren't like it was back in 06, you think that that show would relegate SF to the last very highlight package, I don't think so.

There is clearly a bias, you may not see it because of your blind faith to your team, but for those outside of your fanbase can notice it clearly. When a show like Comcast Central or Chron Live on CSNBA spends the first 5 or so minutes of the program on the demotion of a player like Fransden or Velez like it's some huge franchise altering transaction, it's just laughable.

I've said it before but CSNBA=KNBR. It's a biased station here locally that in the words of Ratto, "it's the mouthpiece for SF sports".

Yeah go ahead and enjoy your "playoff run" and like clock work for your franchise, I as an A's fan will love to see you guys choke down the stretch at the end like you have for almost all your 50 years coming to the bay area.

It's not whining it's the fact. There's a bias and if you don't want to admit, fine, go live in your orange and black world where everybody there feels like they should get their asses kissed.

Be like sports fans all over the country not being able to complain constantly about the biased a network like ESPN is towards everybody outside of the New England/NYC area where they show their highlights first on almost every show and have some BS 5-6 minute segment afterwards analyzing every stupid detail about such and such game or player.

And screw this thinking that the A's fans aren't there so why appeal to them as during the past decade on CSNBA or when it was FSNBA, the A's drew the 2nd highest ratings on the network per game just behind SFG and drew consistently better than both the W's and Sharks.

I'm not asking for equal time, I know the A's will never get it since every media major media outlet is based in SF and or has a bunch of SF fans running the station it seems but when it's that blatant, you get tired of it and I'm not the only fan here who doesn't see it.
Nice win SAT night.

Mazzaro has pitched decent the past five outings although he hasn't pitched 6 IP in any of them. He just throws way too many pitches to pitch deep into games now.

3.56 ERA/1.55 WHIP in 30.1 IP.

WHIP is higher than you want but considering how many base runners Mazzaro was giving up the previous I don't know 6-7 starts, it's an improvement.

Bullpen after a rough outing FRI stepped up huge last night and shut down the LAA.
Nothing to write really on the minors.

Wallace, Cardenas, and Carter had multi hit games SAT. Wallace lack of XHBs the past week plus is annoying after he had that huge 5 or 6 game run just before that.

PP with a defensive scouting report on Wallace.

Quote:

Brett Wallace defense scouting report

by Adam Foster

August 29, 2009

I've seen Brett Wallace play three times this month. And in an effort to get a closer look at his defense, I arranged an opportunity to watch him take pregame fielding practice from at Raley Field, home of the River Cats. To be honest, I viewed him through a very critical lens. I was looking for any bit of evidence that he couldn't stick at third base. He didn't give me much to work with, though.

Strengths

Wallace has very soft hands and reads the ball well off the bat. Despite being a big kid, he's surprisingly agile. His footwork is exceptional. His arm didn't blow me away but it got the job done.

He has worked tirelessly at his third base defense. And some people who have spent a good amount of time around him only have glowing things to say about his makeup.

Weaknesses

When I saw Wallace play first base at the beginning of the month, he offered a prime example of why people doubt his defense. A batter hit a popup down the line and over his head. He wasn't able to chase it down and watching him spin around and run after the ball wasn't pretty.

He's not going to make a lot of plays when he's ranging to his left. I haven't seen him field many bunts or soft hits where he has to run in, but I'd be surprised if he could display average range in those types of situations. Similarly, he isn't a defender who I'd expect to make many dazzling plays to his right. Really, if Wallace is fielding anything that's more than a stride or two away from his body, he's not going to have a very good chance of getting to it.

Conclusion

If there's a way that Brett Wallace can stick at third base, Brett Wallace will make it happen.

It's very unlikely that he'll be a career third baseman in the big leagues, but he wouldn't be a liability at the position if the A's called him up today. I could see him spending a couple seasons at the hot corner, provided that the A's are willing to take a bit of a defensive hit. Expect him to spend the bulk of his career at first base or designated hitter.
With Carter's promotion, don't know if the A's have promoted anybody to AA.

Think Desme has proven he's well advanced A+ right now and since Carter was promoted earlier this week to SAC, Desme's is hitting .417 with 2B, 3 HRs, 4 RBIs, SB, 9 BBs/7 Ks.
OF was kind of jammed up with Carter there.

Peterson, Brown, Spencer and Sulentic. Well Peterson has moved to 1B leaving the other three to man the OF. Honestly, would rather see Desme in one of those spots and maybe move somebody like Spencer to DH where the player they have at that spot isn't really a legit MLB prospect.

Don't know why after they promoted Weeks, Cardenas, and Carter the previous week, they haven't done the same with Desme whos destroying A+.
Just read that Desme was taken out of the game SAT after a hamstring injury.

Hope it's nothing serious and put an end to a great season for him, his first ever real season in the minors where he just was a man among boys some would say figurtively and literally.
Well today's outcome wasn't shocking.

A's just can't beat Lackey, or for that matter Santana even though they won against him, not like they did much against him.

Lackey is 16-4 with like a 2.50 ERA against the A's for his career. He's a FA after this season and hopefully he bolts.

Anderson looks like he's running out of gas. Wouldn't be shocked to see him pulled sometime in the next week or two and save his arm. Same with Cahill.
Share 49erswebzone